• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But the media says it....

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No. I will listen, and will try to understand them too.

I got this from talks with an Imam at a mosque in Brussels, where my muslim family goes.

The literal meaning of the word is "struggle".
It can take on 3 forms:
- the never-ending internal struggle to be/become/stay a good muslim
- the struggle to build a good muslim society
- holy war

In the first 2 violence isn't involved. In the 3rd one, there is. It's actual war.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Nevertheless, you can't exactly argue that it's a minority that you can ignore.
Other faiths don't seem to suffer from such a huge problem. Not today anyway.

Yes, it's a minority (which nevertheless still numbers millions of people), but it can hardly be argued that islamic radicalism / militias are "rare". Today anyway, this is clearly a problem that is quite unique to islam.

I think that, in and of itself, demands an explanation. To keep on claiming that it has nothing to do with islam, is imo an undefendable position.

The problem is human nature. Religion can bring out the best and worst in people. Islam isn’t the only religion with leaders that has promoted fanaticism and violence. Nor is it a problem unique to religious ideology. The twentieth century has witnessed ideologies such as nationalism and racism that are very real threats today. So I’m reluctant to single out Islam, but I wouldn’t want to minimise its contribution to conflict and violence either.

chinu

chinu
I got this from talks with an Imam at a mosque
Now, again I have my own understanding of true-Imam and true-mosque.

True-Imam always gives true information. Whereas, False-Imam gives false.
True mosque is inside one's own mind, NOT anywhere in the outer world.

in Brussels, where my muslim family goes.
Innocent family.

The literal meaning of the word is "struggle".
It can take on 3 forms:
- the never-ending internal struggle to be/become/stay a good muslim
- the struggle to build a good muslim society
- holy war

In the first 2 violence isn't involved. In the 3rd one, there is. It's actual war.

According to me this is a false-Imam, and teaching just bull****s.
Because, the meaning of struggle given in line 2nd is contrary with what is written in the 1st.

Line first says it is a.. Never-ending-struggle. Which concludes that you will NEVER become a good-muslim.
Then, how can bad-muslims all together build good-muslims society UNTIL turn to good-muslims ?

Even, using the word "Society" is violence here.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The headline of this thread is the response from a friend of mine when he heard I converted to Islam.
So i asked him if he knew Islam only from the news, or if he had read a transof the Quran.

His answer was that he only listen to what the media told him about Islam.
So i asked him, do you think every muslim is a terrorist because that is what media portrays muslims as?
Surprisingly he said media know Islam better then muslims, so yes you become a terrorist now :confused:

Is that really how many people see Islam?
One of the things about the Qur'an is its piecemeal structure, its failure to set up and maintain any narrative. It's hard for any outsider to find it interesting or involving.

Another is the way it contradicts itself eg on wine ─ I forget the name of the rule that says when verses are contradictory, the one thought to be the later is the one to follow.

And then there's the history of its making ─ put together two centuries after Muhammad from many, many miscellaneous sources, with good reason to hold grave doubts whether even one sentence of it is Muhammad's.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One of the things about the Qur'an is its piecemeal structure, its failure to set up and maintain any narrative. It's hard for any outsider to find it interesting or involving.

Another is the way it contradicts itself eg on wine ─ I forget the name of the rule that says when verses are contradictory, the one thought to be the later is the one to follow.

And then there's the history of its making ─ put together two centuries after Muhammad from many, many miscellaneous sources, with good reason to hold grave doubts whether even one sentence of it is Muhammad's.
The words through Muhammad pbuh was given oraly in the beginning, just like in other religions from that time :) that is my understanding but i believe the words do come from God.

Other people will understand it different then i do

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The headline of this thread is the response from a friend of mine when he heard I converted to Islam.
So i asked him if he knew Islam only from the news, or if he had read a transof the Quran.

So i asked him, do you think every muslim is a terrorist because that is what media portrays muslims as?
Surprisingly he said media know Islam better then muslims, so yes you become a terrorist now :confused:

I think that both looking strictly at what the Quran says and what the media (particularly news channels) says about muslims to be misguided ways to achieve the bigger picture.

The best way to approach this matter is to look at what muslims themselves say.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess it depends on your news source...

Other than the banter here on RF, my only source of news is the local newspaper.

Our local Muslim community tend to be quiet and productive folks, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've read of trouble coming from them. Its more likely they have trouble brought upon them. I remember reading a year or two ago our mosque got vandalized. Many in the community(of all religious or not religious backgrounds) came together to clean it up.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
knowing Islam from the news is something if the news is correct.
These are the news that I also see when thinking of Islam : ‘The only thing I could do was cry’: Watch a shocking crime in Egypt, caught on camera - Open Doors USA
It's about persecution of Christians.
I would never support groups who harm others in this way the article speak of.
Unfortunatly some groups of extremists are doing very wrong deeds around the world, often it is shown only the muslims who do wrong. But no wr should not support them
Islam is peaceful but a few harm our belief from within.

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
a few harm our belief from within
"a few", you say.
Now, let's have a look at which are the countries in which, according to Open Doors Usa, Christians are persecuted the most:
World Watch List - Open Doors USA
The main Muslim countries in this world are all included in that list.
There is not one major Muslim country that does not persecute Christians, according to that source if I get it right.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

IMO:

There are 2 aspects I see here

1) Ignorance
Most people are ignorant. In one way or another. Few are knowledgeable in everything. We only have so many years
Those are ignorant about Islam. You are ignorant, when it comes to the teaching of my Master, I am ignorant about e.g. Falun Gong

2) Favoritism
Many people favor negative news over positive news. I know, because many people prefer to believe the media-negativity about Sai Baba. On RF I check it out now and then, just by mentioning Sai Baba, even if it's the same content, "likes" go down. Interesting to observe and notice;). When I enthusiastic share some nice experience about Islam, you grace abundantly "hearts"; same story, but with Sai Baba's name you grace less/not. This man is no different then we are. That is how people in general behave, unless they have a Scripture or Master declaring all (non) faiths are equally valid and are equally good to take you to the highest goal, choose the one that suits you best. Even then it takes time to reverse "Favoritism". The moment you think/believe "my faith is more equal", you get those judgmental thoughts, words and deeds, and sometimes even brutal actions

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
"a few", you say.
Now, let's have a look at which are the countries in which, according to Open Doors Usa, Christians are persecuted the most:
There is not one major Muslim country that does not persecute Christians, according to that source if I get it right.
I have no intention to go in to yet an other discussion where muslims are riddiculed.
Unfortunatly yes Christians has often been the target of thode extreme groups, but they do not represent Islam as a whole. And extremists are not supported by the common Muslim.

That all i going to say about this in this thread.

stvdv

"a few", you say.
These facts show how many Christians are physical abused in name of Allah, which are known. Add to that the unknown numbers of violence. If there is so much "physical" violence, imagine how much "emotional" violence there is. People who "speak" ill of Christians, Jesus, Bible. And even more "think" ill of Christians (that's another "real" kind of vilence, called "black magic" or "voodoo"; that is where the whole cycle of violence starts).

Fact: a real Christian would never speak belittling about other faiths, remembering "don't do unto others, what you don't want them to do unto you".
Fact: a real Muslim would never speak belittling about other faiths, remembering "don't do unto others, what you don't want them to do unto you".

Question: How many real Christians and Muslims are there, assuming the above is true?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
IMO:

There are 2 aspects I see here

1) Ignorance
Most people are ignorant. In one way or another. Few are knowledgeable in everything. We only have so many years
Those are ignorant about Islam. You are ignorant, when it comes to the teaching of my Master, I am ignorant about e.g. Falun Gong

2) Favoritism
Many people favor negative news over positive news. I know, because many people prefer to believe the media-negativity about Sai Baba. On RF I check it out now and then, just by mentioning Sai Baba, even if it's the same content, "likes" go down. Interesting to observe and notice;). When I enthusiastic share some nice experience about Islam, you grace abundantly "hearts"; same story, but with Sai Baba's name you grace less/not. This man is no different then we are. That is how people in general behave, unless they have a Scripture or Master declaring all (non) faiths are equally valid and are equally good to take you to the highest goal, choose the one that suits you best. Even then it takes time to reverse "Favoritism". The moment you think/believe "my faith is more equal", you get those judgmental thoughts, words and deeds, and sometimes even brutal actions
Maybe my reactions to your post where you mention Sai baba is lesser because i have no knowledge about the teaching of Sai baba, it is not out of respect for you or your teacher.

stvdv

Maybe my reactions to your post where you mention Sai baba is lesser because i have no knowledge about the teaching of Sai baba, it is not out of respect for you or your teacher.
Maybe so, time will tell. Can also be that you missed out on that particular one. Sometimes I think "how is it possible I did not see this before"

I think below link, in which I described a real life story, is a great story in itself, but also a great story as reply to the OP. If I would read others write such a story, I would definitely grant them a "winner", no matter which (non) faith they have: Atheism, Buddhism, Christian, Islam, Satanism, etc.
I trust people when they share a real personal experience, that this is true. Many people don't have such trust, hence they can't enjoy it, I think.
"Get Out of Her"

firedragon

Veteran Member

You will get anecdotal fallacies as answers because your question is a general question about people and Islam which is addressing 7 billion people in the world. ;)

firedragon

Veteran Member
Nevertheless, the average non-Muslim thinks the Quran and/or Hadiths are to blame for Islamic terrorism.

No you are wrong to say "average non-muslim" thinks this or that because you will never know. This is the anecdotal fallacy. The average non-muslim around me never thinks this. Maybe the average non-muslim around you thinks this. Thats why our social networks influence our reactions so much. Even an educated person like you is making an anecdotal fallacy, though I know you dont intend to, and I say this with all due respect.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Lots of people have strange ideas about lots of things. Ignorance is common.