• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But It's For Your Own Good

Skwim

Veteran Member

"A 7-year-old boy was beaten, forced to carry around a 44-pound log, and was buried in the snow. Now, a 15-year-old boy and two adults have been charged with the murder of Ethan Hauschultz.

EthanParentsBible-350x350.png

Damian Hauschultz, 15, is charged with first-degree reckless homicide and six other charges. Although age 15, in Wisconsin, juveniles charged with certain homicide counts are handled in adult court. Damian’s father, Timothy Hauschultz, 48, is charged with felony murder and five other charges. Tina McKeever-Hauschultz, 35, is charged with failing to prevent bodily harm, and intentionally contributing to the delinquency of a child. All three are expected to make initial court appearances Monday in Manitowoc County court.

According to the criminal complaint:

Timothy Hauschultz and Tina Hauschultz were the court-appointed guardians for Ethan Hauschultz and two of his siblings. The complaint does not indicate if or how they are related. Timothy Hauschultz ordered Ethan Hauschultz to be punished by carrying a heavy wooden log, weighing 44 pounds (about two-thirds of the boy’s body weight), for two hours around a pre-determined path in a snowy area outside their home. Damian was instructed to supervise the punishment. As Ethan struggled to carry the log, Damian allegedly hit, kick, struck and poked Ethan about 100 times – sometimes using a belt or a stick. Damian rolled the heavy log across Ethan’s chest, stood on him while Ethan was face down in a puddle, and then burying him in a snowbank for more than 20 minutes without a coat or boots on. Damian also repeatedly struck Ethan’s twin, who was also ordered to undergo the punishment, according to the complaint.

Ethan died of hypothermia, but also had extensive other injuries, including blunt force injuries to his head, chest and abdomen, and a rib fracture, the medical examiner determined, the complaint states. In an interview with police, Damian stated he “didn’t do anything that would have hurt” Ethan. He estimated he hit Ethan 100 times. He also admitted to covering Ethan in snow, but knew Ethan had to breathe. He described Ethan as being covered “in his own little coffin of snow,” according to the complaint. The punishment was directed to be carried out by his father, Timothy, Damian said.

Damian said he had to carry wood for not knowing 13 Bible verses to Timothy’s satisfaction. The punishment was one week of carrying wood for two hours per day. Timothy picked out the logs, but Damian had to supervise the punishment for the younger children. Tina was not quoted in the complaint. One of Ethan’s siblings said she is aware that Timothy uses this form of discipline.
source
Makes a person sick to read stuff like this.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

"A 7-year-old boy was beaten, forced to carry around a 44-pound log, and was buried in the snow. Now, a 15-year-old boy and two adults have been charged with the murder of Ethan Hauschultz.

Damian Hauschultz, 15, is charged with first-degree reckless homicide and six other charges. Although age 15, in Wisconsin, juveniles charged with certain homicide counts are handled in adult court. Damian’s father, Timothy Hauschultz, 48, is charged with felony murder and five other charges. Tina McKeever-Hauschultz, 35, is charged with failing to prevent bodily harm, and intentionally contributing to the delinquency of a child. All three are expected to make initial court appearances Monday in Manitowoc County court.

Timothy Hauschultz and Tina Hauschultz were the court-appointed guardians for Ethan Hauschultz and two of his siblings. The complaint does not indicate if or how they are related. Timothy Hauschultz ordered Ethan Hauschultz to be punished by carrying a heavy wooden log, weighing 44 pounds (about two-thirds of the boy’s body weight), for two hours around a pre-determined path in a snowy area outside their home. Damian was instructed to supervise the punishment. As Ethan struggled to carry the log, Damian allegedly hit, kick, struck and poked Ethan about 100 times – sometimes using a belt or a stick. Damian rolled the heavy log across Ethan’s chest, stood on him while Ethan was face down in a puddle, and then burying him in a snowbank for more than 20 minutes without a coat or boots on. Damian also repeatedly struck Ethan’s twin, who was also ordered to undergo the punishment, according to the complaint.

Ethan died of hypothermia, but also had extensive other injuries, including blunt force injuries to his head, chest and abdomen, and a rib fracture, the medical examiner determined, the complaint states. In an interview with police, Damian stated he “didn’t do anything that would have hurt” Ethan. He estimated he hit Ethan 100 times. He also admitted to covering Ethan in snow, but knew Ethan had to breathe. He described Ethan as being covered “in his own little coffin of snow,” according to the complaint. The punishment was directed to be carried out by his father, Timothy, Damian said.

Damian said he had to carry wood for not knowing 13 Bible verses to Timothy’s satisfaction. The punishment was one week of carrying wood for two hours per day. Timothy picked out the logs, but Damian had to supervise the punishment for the younger children. Tina was not quoted in the complaint. One of Ethan’s siblings said she is aware that Timothy uses this form of discipline.
source

That's awful how this child suffered, but on the bright side, he's now in a better place.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There's no essential difference between these so-called Christians and al Quaeda terrorists.

Hopefully, nobody in his right mind would judge all Christians on the basis of what some few radical extremist overly zealous Christians do.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know their specific situation, but I suspect abuse and backward parenting is not uncommon for children reared in multi-generational, small closed communities which take physical punishment as a biblical and personal commandment. I have heard many personal stories about this from people in various small, closed communities. Its not at all a one-off.

There are some references in the Bible which can be very harmful like 'Spare the rod...spoil the child' and 'Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction will drive it far from him' and 'Blows and wounds cleanse the soul, and beatings purge the inmost being'. The word 'Rod' people interpret different ways, usually not literally. There are worse than literal meanings for some Bible passages, too. You need parents who have half a brain and who aren't going to strike your head with a metal pipe, but literally speaking this could be justified with Bible verses if your parents were stupid enough or crazy or mean or both.

Fact: we don't know what the Bible really means when it says 'Rod of correction' but only what comes to us from rumors -- what people want us to think. We do know some things, and we can use common sense. That being said Bible verses about using a rod could be some kind of complex ancient language meaning hugs. It might mean to show love to a child who is in the wrong or to speak to them about it. Its so ancient that there are many possibilities. It could literally mean to strike children in the head with logs. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean stick them with your penis, but I couldn't say for sure. I am not kidding either. Its..ancient. If the Bible is your manual the first thing should be to use common sense and not assume that you know things about things you know nothing about. Its a really, very, very ancient book; and meanings have changed. Lots of things have changed. Honestly it really could mean to swat your kid in the head with a log.

source

Let me ask you this: do you think the father killed him BECAUSE of the bible?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Let me ask you this: do you think the father killed him BECAUSE of the bible?

Nobody in his right mind would think that Jesus Christ would want to incite anybody to violence; unlike, Mohammed who incited many of his followers towards violence.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Fact: we don't know what the Bible really means when it says 'Rod of correction' but only what comes to us from rumors -- what people want us to think.
Which doesn't square with a mindful god who is said to have "created" the Bible.

I have no idea. Not enough information.

Fair enough. However, i dont think he abused him due to the bible at all. I think it was due to the fact that he was just an a s s hole.

Theres a s s holes out there and they hurt or kill kids WITHOUT the bible.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Which doesn't square with a mindful god who is said to have "created" the Bible.

Christians follow the God of the New Testament rather than the God of the Old Testament; so then what is written in the Old Testament is irrelevant to Christianity. Right?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Christians follow the God of the New Testament rather than the God of the Old Testament; so then what is written in the Old Testament is irrelevant to Christianity. Right?
Not the way many Christians tell it. In any case, so as not to take the thread off topic this is my last comment on this line of discussion.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

As I frequently point out, your concept of God might be one that requires beating children, but the choice is not between God and humanism but between God and the bad idea that God creates something that can replace our own moral capacity. We must never give up our moral powers to some arbitrary power. If for you that means abandoning God, then I think you have embraced God by doing so; semantics be damned.

nPeace

Veteran Member

source

While I was reading it, I was thinking, "Man... these poor animals, got a bad case of variation and natural selection, so they are only following their natural evolution to monster.
When I got to the text in red, I thought, well he says that, but I wonder which persons believing in evolution will buy it...

Aha! Got ya, Skwim. :tonguewink:
Anyway, the cute guy will get a resurrection, according to Acts 24:15.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As I frequently point out, your concept of God might be one that requires beating children, but the choice is not between God and humanism but between God and the bad idea that God creates something that can replace our own moral capacity. We must never give up our moral powers to some arbitrary power. If for you that means abandoning God, then I think you have embraced God by doing so; semantics be damned.
Ah . . . if you note in my personal information across from my avatar, I'm agnostic. Any concept of god I assume is pretty much based on that of Christians.

whirlingmerc

source

Children should not be disciplined for being childish
and the discipline should be responsible and not abusive

It seems there was a measure of child neglect and lack of good supervision.
Kicking and hitting as someone is exhausted is not appropriate and not supervision

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
While I was reading it, I was thinking, "Man... these poor animals, got a bad case of variation and natural selection, so they are only following their natural evolution to monster.
When I got to the text in red, I thought, well he says that, but I wonder which persons believing in evolution will buy it...

Aha! Got ya, Skwim. :tonguewink:
Anyway, the cute guy will get a resurrection, according to Acts 24:15.

Nonsensical and in poor taste.