• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Businesses Requiring Vaccine Passports

Batya

Always Forward
I believe in drawing a line in the sand (& to move it as needed.
Regulation & government require continual vigilance.
They're always seeking more power than they deserve.
That's for sure. It's human tendency I guess.
As they say, it's a republic... if we can keep it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I strongly disagree. It is no more than saying you can't go barefoot into certain establishments.

It is still the right of the *businesses* to choose for themselves. But it will encourage those who are not vaccinated to get a shot and show people that are that the business cares for the health of its customers.

That's coercion. No one should be forced to get any vaccine, drug, whatever to go into a business.

That's... that's... what's the right word.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Battle rages over vaccine passports
Excerpted....
Republicans are up in arms over the possibility that businesses and local governments may require vaccine passports for people to get access to certain activities, buildings or events.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has urged his state’s GOP-controlled legislature to pass a law forbidding passes showing proof of coronavirus vaccination, while vowing to take executive action. Congressional Republicans have similarly slammed the passports, framing them as invasive.

The Biden administration has said it will provide guidance on the matter, but signaled the decisions will largely be left up to local governments and business owners.

“We’re going to provide guidance, just as we have through the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention],” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday. “There’s currently an interagency process that is looking at many of the questions around vaccine verification.”

Supporters of the idea say it will help boost businesses — especially in hard-hit industries like travel and entertainment — as COVID-19 restrictions are scaled back and more Americans receive vaccines.

“The cruise lines, for instance, want to get people back on cruises. Airlines want to get people back traveling. And quite frankly, I want to get back traveling again as well, because I haven't been on an airplane since March and I used to travel all the time,” said Tim Paydos, global vice president of IBM’s government industry business.

“I only want to get on that airplane if I feel reasonably safe that everyone in there is healthy, and that the airline is taking care of me. And so that's what this is really all about,” he added

Paydos said IBM is in talks with “just about every state” and federal agencies about such passes.

Requiring vaccine passports could allow industries that have been closed off for much of the past year to reopen while minimizing the risks of spreading the virus. And proponents say virtual passes would speed up the verification process.

In New York, which last week became the first state to formally launch a virtual pass, the voluntary information is being touted as helping the state boost businesses that faced some of the toughest restrictions during the pandemic.

For example, New York recently expanded the number of permissible wedding guest attendees from 50 to 150 — as long as all attendees have proof of a negative test result or vaccination. Similar requirements have been made as the state allows sports fans back into stadiums and arenas.

Republicans are up in arms over the possibility that businesses and local governments may require vaccine passports for people to get access to certain activities, buildings or events.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has urged his state’s GOP-controlled legislature to pass a law forbidding passes showing proof of coronavirus vaccination, while vowing to take executive action. Congressional Republicans have similarly slammed the passports, framing them as invasive.

The Biden administration has said it will provide guidance on the matter, but signaled the decisions will largely be left up to local governments and business owners.

“We’re going to provide guidance, just as we have through the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention],” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday. “There’s currently an interagency process that is looking at many of the questions around vaccine verification.”

Supporters of the idea say it will help boost businesses — especially in hard-hit industries like travel and entertainment — as COVID-19 restrictions are scaled back and more Americans receive vaccines.

“The cruise lines, for instance, want to get people back on cruises. Airlines want to get people back traveling. And quite frankly, I want to get back traveling again as well, because I haven't been on an airplane since March and I used to travel all the time,” said Tim Paydos, global vice president of IBM’s government industry business.

“I only want to get on that airplane if I feel reasonably safe that everyone in there is healthy, and that the airline is taking care of me. And so that's what this is really all about,” he added.

Paydos said IBM is in talks with “just about every state” and federal agencies about such passes.

Requiring vaccine passports could allow industries that have been closed off for much of the past year to reopen while minimizing the risks of spreading the virus. And proponents say virtual passes would speed up the verification process.

In New York, which last week became the first state to formally launch a virtual pass, the voluntary information is being touted as helping the state boost businesses that faced some of the toughest restrictions during the pandemic.

For example, New York recently expanded the number of permissible wedding guest attendees from 50 to 150 — as long as all attendees have proof of a negative test result or vaccination. Similar requirements have been made as the state allows sports fans back into stadiums and arenas.

New York’s Excelsior Pass, created in partnership with IBM, allows people to show if they have been vaccinated before attending events where proof is required.

Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont (D) on Monday signaled his state may launch a similar pass in the coming months.

“I think it’s a little premature, only in that not everyone has the vaccine available to them yet. But I like to think within a month or two when broadly available, I think you will see some type of vaccine passport or validation ... probably led by the private sector,” Lamont said at a press briefing.

Some Republican governors, though, are fiercely pushing back on such efforts.

DeSantis vowed on Monday to take executive action this week to ban the passes.
Papers please.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Battle rages over vaccine passports
Excerpted....

“I only want to get on that airplane if I feel reasonably safe that everyone in there is healthy, and that the airline is taking care of me. And so that's what this is really all about,” he added

“I only want to get on that airplane if I feel reasonably safe that everyone in there is healthy, and that the airline is taking care of me. And so that's what this is really all about,” he added.

New York’s Excelsior Pass, created in partnership with IBM, allows people to show if they have been vaccinated before attending events where proof is required.

Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont (D) on Monday signaled his state may launch a similar pass in the coming months.

“I think it’s a little premature, only in that not everyone has the vaccine available to them yet. But I like to think within a month or two when broadly available, I think you will see some type of vaccine passport or validation ... probably led by the private sector,” Lamont said at a press briefing.

Some Republican governors, though, are fiercely pushing back on such efforts.

DeSantis vowed on Monday to take executive action this week to ban the passes.

They make it sound like the vaccine is a cure for COVID... as if once you're negative, you won't get it at all. I would never agree with being forced to take the vaccine. That's just silly.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sure, why not. I like NY's voluntary approach. Racist? Maybe this program will encourage more folks of all colors to get the vaccine?
People who were vaccinated drink from this fountain, people who were not drink from that fountain.

Vaccinated people bathroom

Un vaccinated people's bathroom.

Unvaccinated people must ride in the back of the bus. Vaccinated folks can ride in the front.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
But let me guess....it's perfectly fine for a place to refuse to make a cake for a gay wedding, right?

Huh?

If it's a person's private business, they can refuse any person without it being illegal.

There are so many X factors involved that just having a "negative result" on a COVID test really says nothing about the person's health in general. Say he's asymptomatic, as many people are worrying about now. He can still spread the virus. In health facilities and things of that nature, sure. But not when I'm going to my every day supermarket or thrift store.

No. It's not common sense.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've been hearing success rates...no guarantees.

Yeah. I wouldn't bet on it too much. It got silly when they started talking about two masks and COVID from your eyes. The latter, some people actually took that into consideration.

I still think there's something up-and forcing people to take vaccines is really not the answer. Most likely, it would backfire. I mean, I'm right next to the US Capitol, so I can't imagine.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The shocking amount of willful ignorance it takes to still be paranoid about these vaccines makes me tired. If you don't yet know what's in it or how it interacts with the body it's because you haven't looked, or have only looked at fear mongering talking heads.

I'm beginning to think that if there was a zombie apocalypse, instead of it being over quickly by sheer number of guns, it would go on forever out of sheer contrarianness to be informed about how zombie bites work.

Anyway, I still have my vaccine card. I'm happy to submit it to whatever business wants me to show it before participating, maskless or otherwise.