• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Businesses Requiring Vaccine Passports

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
COVID is not a 100% death sentence like some plagues.

Point: COVID is not 100% death sentence, and we're not in danger because risk levels depends on many factors. If you're in immediate danger of a virus, so have you, the risk factors determinants drop if near to none; it's definite fatality.

Forget the word plague.
Plagues are not a 100% death sentence either. So this point doesn't make all that much sense. I'm sure there are/were risk factors for contracting these other plagues you mention.

My boss' 20-year-old nephew who has no no pre-existing conditions is currently on a ventilator. The US has lost over 520,000 thousand people. Brazil has lost hundreds of thousands of people. There are several variants now in circulation because some areas have let the virus run rampant, which allows it to mutate. And it seems that one of these variants is now attacking much younger populations than the first few rounds.

We are in immediate danger of a virus.

I don't understand this argument anyway. So there are people who are at a greater risk of contracting COVID based on pre-existing conditions, age, etc. Why does that make it okay and not dangerous, in your mind?

I don't understand these arguments about "well it's only old people, so no big deal" (or whatever). I value the "old people" in my life as much as anyone else. I'm not willing to sacrifice them so I can go shopping.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That assumes you have an inherent right to do "Y". In this case Y is entering someone's private business. That's not an inherent right.

Do you feel the same way when you are required to wear a shirt and shoes in a restaurant?
Do you feel the same way when you are required not to drink and then hop into a car and drive?

I can't compare it to shirts, socks, even masks. If you go in without a shirt, they tell you you need to come back with a shirt on. You go home, get a shirt, go by your (I don't know) couch, and leave the store.

Vaccines is just not like that. I even hear that you may have to keep vaccinating yourself each year. In NY, with their vaccination card COVID-19 Vaccine: Get the Facts If I remember correctly, there are three types of cards. The second and third type are temporary and you have to get vaccinated again to keep that card validated--to go to stores, concerts, and such.

Socks/shoes/clothes are hardly a good example of this.

You don't have to. You also don't have a right to enter any particular business no matter what.

Its coersion.

For example, if unvaccinated John can't go into 99% of stores, he is "forced" to stay home (or isolated) until he gets the vaccine. The media, health officials, even the president is "urging" people to get the vaccine then saying its voluntary. Either its mandatory or not. They are trying to convince people to get this vaccine-in a health related emergency, that's one of the last things you want to do is be passive aggressive in pushing something thats supposed to help the entire nation. Too much politics involved.

I haven't mentioned a single thing about politics.
Politics has zero to do with any of this.

I'm not attacking you. I'm having a conversation with you. You seem to think you have rights that you actually don't.

No. I'm just giving my opinion. That's an assumption, but no... the fact is I'm not.

Perhaps you should start thinking about it.

Seriously?

Shoes/socks versus a health emergency?

I cant potentially put people in danger without a shirt on....and since I am a female, I can't but many males can. So, it's not a good example.

Sorry, what accusations?

Sarcasm, I mean. But it's fine, I get anzy too.

They're just material that contain the moist droplets that come out of your mouth and nose when you talk, cough, sneeze, etc. Which is how COVID is spread.

Why don't you tell surgeons, nurses and doctors that they're "just material" so why bother wearing them at all?

Because they don't wear their masks outside the surgery room and depending on the patients condition, the patients room either. So, it would be silly to wear a mask when there is two people in a huge store but it makes sense if you're in a store say Walmart during the holidays.

I know how it spreads and what the masks (and vaccines) are for. I just feel each has its place. Like surgeon masks don't really help when you're in the restroom but they help somewhat when you're operating (of course you need a gown, gloves, and sanitation).

"Fun note:" Gallaudet University in DC gives gowns and masks to on compass visitors. I don't know if they are doing that for the rest of the DC area.

Again, there is no forcing going on.

Its coercion (above)

I don't think I did, no.

It's not silly. We're in the middle of a public health emergency.

"Then don't get a vaccine, and don't go into stores that require them for entry."

It is silly. That would mean either a. unvaccinated people should stay home or b. convince/coerce them to get it without their say so.

Why do you think so?

"Forcing" customers to wear shoes and shirts is a matter of health, cleanliness and safety.
The pandemic is definitely a matter of health, cleanliness and safety.

Did you know if you want to travel to certain countries, you first have to show proof that you've been vaccinated for specific illnesses or they won't let you in?

That's been the case for decades now. Do you think peoples' rights are being infringed in that case? I'd be curious to hear why or why not.

The two don't even compare.

I can understand vaccinations traveling out of the country, taking care of people (say children, hospital, etc), and being in a highly populated area like NY.

But you were comparing it to socks and shoes not going out of the country.

I think people are trying to convince other people to take this vaccine. Whether they do or not depends on the situation but I do not feel it should be mandatory but under the discretion of the person---when it comes to businesses.

Please elaborate.

I was correcting you. I didn't say force as in pushing or shoving. I was using force as a means of coercion.

I disagree. And I'm not sure this addresses what I said, which was, "I too, value peoples' right to choose what is medically best for their well being. I also value the rights of others who choose not to endanger their staff and customers by potentially exposing them to a highly transmissible/deadly/damaging virus in their place of business."

I'm still wondering what "rights" you have here that are being trampled?

Do you value rights of those who choose not to get the vaccine?

Rights shouldn't be one-sided, right?

Everyone tries to compare everything to Nazi things. I don't see how it's related.

I guess. That was the first I came across it. I see the point of the comparison: segregating vaccine vs unvaccinated people as they do blacks/whites, jews/nazi, and so forth. However, the purpose is quite different between the two.

I think the comparison only works if they make the vaccines mandatory.

So, basically, some of you guys are saying that if they don't don't take the vaccine, wear masks, etc... you ARE putting people in danger. That's ridiculous.

You said "you are"... that's not a fact. You cannot put people in danger unless the virus exists for that danger and level of "actual" not perceived risk to exist.

For example, if I did not have the virus and came to you without a mask, I'm not putting you in danger. I don't have anything to spread. The level of risk is not existant.

It's an intelligent assumption that I "may" have the virus, but it just depends on how concerned you are of catching it-which is justified. Many people with anxiety feel they are in danger when its only perceived in their head. Others feel they are in danger because they have health conditions and other valid means of being cautious over their well-being.

It doesn't mean these people (one with anxiety and one with health conditions) ARE in danger, it just means they are taking it safe than sorry because taking precautions of a perceived danger can't hurt you compared to if you don't care unless you are in actual danger.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Plagues are not a 100% death sentence either. So this point doesn't make all that much sense. I'm sure there are/were risk factors for contracting these other plagues you mention.

I was saying forget about the word plague. The context in which I was using that word is COVID does not kill on immediate contact. It depends on the person's health condition and other risk factors....just as any other severe illness.

My boss' 20-year-old nephew who has no no pre-existing conditions is currently on a ventilator. The US has lost over 520,000 thousand people. Brazil has lost hundreds of thousands of people. There are several variants now in circulation because some areas have let the virus run rampant, which allows it to mutate. And it seems that one of these variants is now attacking much younger populations than the first few rounds.

We are in immediate danger of a virus.

I don't understand this argument anyway. So there are people who are at a greater risk of contracting COVID based on pre-existing conditions, age, etc. Why does that make it okay and not dangerous, in your mind?

I don't understand. I just read that "we are in danger" and I say we are only in danger when we are put in an immediate risk of catching it. I'm not in danger (I don't perceive it as an emergency) of an illness I am not in contact with.

However, if I was working at a hospital, with other people, in a high populated area, etc, my risk would be higher and I'd probably have a different perspective. The higher the risk, the more I'd know I'm in danger.

I'm speaking in danger as in you and/or your family member is at a high level risk not danger as in having the risk of catching it in itself (depends on the level of risk not the risk itself).

I don't understand these arguments about "well it's only old people, so no big deal" (or whatever). I value the "old people" in my life as much as anyone else. I'm not willing to sacrifice them so I can go shopping.

I didn't say that. Where did I say that????
(If I remember, when we had lock down "old" people were required to go to the store early morning before the rest of the crowd. They tend to separate high risk people. I don't know if they're doing that now.)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Give me the logic in this.

If you do not have covid and you do not get the vaccine, how "are" you putting people at risk?

---
It's like you guys are saying there is a gun man across town and you put people at risk in your neighborhood (depending on level of risk) for not buying a gun as your peers have, just in case the gunman comes in your neighborhood.

There is a risk that the gunman may come into your neighborhood (there is a risk of catching the virus) but how is not buying a gun (or not taking the vaccine) because of this risk harm others?
---

What exactly "are" you in danger of?

Answering this will give me some idea why people are accusing unvaccinated people of harming others....it's hard to fix the situation if we don't know the logic behind the argument.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
What exactly "are" you in danger of?
I am finding it extremely difficult to come up with an honest answer to this question without walking a really really fine rule violation line.

I do find it interesting how those who freely admit gross ignorance of the subject matter have the most to say about the topic.

Now I wonder if they can figure out how that fact is a danger to others...?
Especially when talking about a highly contagious virus that has severely decimated the countries entire health system...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am finding it extremely difficult to come up with an honest answer to this question without walking a really really fine rule violation line.

I do find it interesting how those who freely admit gross ignorance of the subject matter have the most to say about the topic.

Now I wonder if they can figure out how that fact is a danger to others...?
Especially when talking about a highly contagious virus that has severely decimated the countries entire health system...

But this doesn't honestly answer my question.

Regardless whether you think I'm ignorant or not, which is irrelevant in my question, how "are" you endangering others by not haven taken the vaccine and you "do not" have COVID?

I'm sure you can answer this assertively without violating the rules, no?

Edited.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why is that difficult?

I was thinking how to shorten these points better.

1. If John has COVID, he goes into a crowded room, he puts others in danger because he has the virus to spread; this risk is based on fact.

2. If John does not have COVID, he goes into a crowded room, he does not put anyone in danger because he does not have the virus; this is a fact.

However, below is a justified safe than sorry approach many times based on fear (not always, but in this case it tends to be), but it is not based on fact.

3. If John goes into a crowded room, and no one knows (not even himself) he has COVID, he "could" be putting people at danger. Since we do not know, it is not a fact.

The problem is mixing up the first two statements with the latter. It's alright to be concerned or fear over an unknown possibility....but it would help the world if we go off what we know and not bite people's heads off from what we don't.

I think that's clearest I can get it.

(Edit. What the vaccine does is lesson the risk factor of the 3 option but doesn't change the facts in the first two options)

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I was thinking how to shorten these points better.

1. If John has COVID, he goes into a crowded room, he puts others in danger because he has the virus to spread; this risk is based on fact.

2. If John does not have COVID, he goes into a crowded room, he does not put anyone in danger because he does not have the virus; this is a fact.

However, below is a justified safe than sorry approach many times based on fear (not always, but in this case it tends to be), but it is not based on fact.

3. If John goes into a crowded room, and no one knows (even himself) he has COVID, he "could" be putting people at danger. Since we do not know, it is not a fact.

The problem is mixing up the first two statements with the latter. It's alright to be concerned or fear over an unknown possibility....but it would help the world if we go off what we know and not bite people's heads off from what we don't.

I think that's clearest I can get it.
It's clear to me because I think like you.
It is fear of the unknown and what could happen.
It is not fear of what will happen or what might happen because there is no reason to think it might or will happen, esp. if people are masked and socially distanced.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
3. If John goes into a crowded room, and no one knows (even himself) he has COVID, he "could" be putting people at danger. Since we do not know, it is not a fact.
But even if John had COVID, if he is masked and socially distanced he is not going to spread the disease.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's clear to me because I think like you.
It is fear of the unknown and what could happen.
It is not fear of what will happen or what might happen because there is no reason to think it might or will happen, esp. if people are masked and socially distanced.

Yeah. My therapist told me yesterday when I told her about the vaccine probably becoming mandatory (that's my fear, not COVID). She said don't fret over something that hasn't happened; what we don't know (anxiety over possibilities and what-if risk factors). Think in the present moment: wear masks, social distancing, and so forth.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yeah. My therapist told me yesterday when I told her about the vaccine probably becoming mandatory (that's my fear, not COVID). She said don't fret over something that hasn't happened; what we don't know (anxiety over possibilities and what-if risk factors). Think in the present moment: wear masks, social distancing, and so forth.
I totally agree with your therapist and I think just like her. If I worried about what might happen in my life I would be a complete mess. I live in the present moment, in the day. I also think logically. How could the vaccine be made mandatory? Can you even imagine how the U.S. government could force everyone to take it? If I worry, I worry about likely possibilities, not remote possibilities.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I totally agree with your therapist and I think just like her. If I worried about what might happen in my life I would be a complete mess. I live in the present moment, in the day. I also think logically. How could the vaccine be made mandatory? Can you even imagine how the U.S. government could force everyone to take it? If I worry, I worry about likely possibilities, not remote possibilities.

Some countries, I think, made it mandatory, but they have a different type of government than we do...not democratic (if that's the right word).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I see no shame in people admitting they are frightened of getting Covid-19 even if that is not very likely to happen and is only remotely possible. All people have different fears. I am afraid of auto accidents so I never drive on the interstate anymore. I am not ashamed to say that. Even it it is not a legitimate fear, I have so much fear that it could cause me to have an accident. Why take that chance if I don't have to?

We Never Know

No Slack

Health officials shut down the COVID-19 mass-vaccination site at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City on Wednesday afternoon after 11 people suffered adverse reactions to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and two were taken to area hospitals for observation.

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment on Wednesday night issued a statement stressing that the side effects experienced by patients at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park — including nausea and dizziness — were “consistent with what can be expected,” and that the decision to close the site early was made out of an abundance of caution.

Dick’s Sporting Goods Park vaccination site closes early after some suffer adverse reactions

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Health officials shut down the COVID-19 mass-vaccination site at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City on Wednesday afternoon after 11 people suffered adverse reactions to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and two were taken to area hospitals for observation.

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment on Wednesday night issued a statement stressing that the side effects experienced by patients at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park — including nausea and dizziness — were “consistent with what can be expected,” and that the decision to close the site early was made out of an abundance of caution.

Dick’s Sporting Goods Park vaccination site closes early after some suffer adverse reactions

Wow. It's good to know both sides of the story. I know anything medical has its side affects but as long as health officials are honest about what those side affects could be (nausea, dizziness, fever, etc) it gives people reason to make informed decisions about their health in relation to one's personal circumstance not just the situation others are in.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I see no shame in people admitting they are frightened of getting Covid-19 even if that is not very likely to happen and is only remotely possible. All people have different fears. I am afraid of auto accidents so I never drive on the interstate anymore. I am not ashamed to say that. Even it it is not a legitimate fear, I have so much fear that it could cause me to have an accident. Why take that chance if I don't have to?

Now that I think if it, the only times I can think of that my risk is a tad higher is if I had to use the bus or my mother visits once or so every other month.

I don't believe it's denying the situation. If there weren't masks rules and mother's obsession with the news, I'd probably never knew what was going on.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Last thought. Just made it shorter though not thinking there would be a response.

Perceived danger/actual danger (according to one's individual situation)

Here’s the difference. I compared it with an analogy.

1. You can feel you are in danger if someone says they have a hidden gun
2. Your fears and precautions are warranted because you do not know

But....

3. You ARE in danger when that person pulls out her gun and points it to your head.

Likewise

1. You can feel you are in danger because you know someone is not vaccinated
2. Your fears and precautions are warranted because you do not know if they have Covid

but...

3. You ARE in danger when that person who has COVID and near you or sneezes on you

No one has said vaccination is 100% effective, so there is still a risk-however little-you can get COVID but you're only in danger of getting it if they actually have it to spread.

Last edited: