• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Businesses Requiring Vaccine Passports

Suave

Simulated character
I just found out today that I am now eligible in my state. They lowered the bar to anyone over 60 years old along with other loosening of limitations.

And locally there are quite a few "persons of color" in the medical profession. When it comes to those that can give injections there are quite a few Asians, in fact a surprisingly large percentage. Do Asians count as being a person of color? My current care giver is Asian by the way, From India by her looks, though she could be from any surrounding countries.
I'd consider Asians to be more colorful skinned than my fair skinned ...but not as colorful skinned as most African Americans.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I've read of distrust of medical services supplied by government.
(Bad record there.) Relative poverty could cause it too.
You Americastanis and your distrust of government. I swear you guys shoot yourselves in your own foot sometimes. I hate my government but I’m itching for the vaccine. Like screw all this lockdown business and mandatory masks. I’d much rather the jabs

Batya

Always Forward
But as a business owner, I have the right to determine
who enters my facility when safety is at stake. For
example, I can require hard hats on construction sites.
Then too, no one has the right to infect others.
That's true, you have that right. This is getting out of hand though, I think it's more to do with control and conformity. There are lots of business owners who don't want such a thing made a requirement. We saw the same thing with the masks... at first they were voluntary... then eventually mandatory. By the same token, isn't it also a business owner's right to say they won't require customers to wear a mask? But no, they were forced to enforce it (I'm from Michigan until recently, so I know :)) It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination for me to envision this going the same direction.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because you shouldn't be forced to get an experimental vaccine from a shady company just to function as normal in society. I'm not going to be the guinea pig for this. I do not see this going far in America as Americans tend to value basic liberties. Or so I hoped.
Businesses also have the right to ensure a safe environment
for workers & customers. People still have the liberty to not
patronize those businesses.

Batya

Always Forward
I strongly disagree. It is no more than saying you can't go barefoot into certain establishments.

It is still the right of the *businesses* to choose for themselves. But it will encourage those who are not vaccinated to get a shot and show people that are that the business cares for the health of its customers.
It is different though. Throwing on some shoes is a whole different story than being forced to get injected with something we don't yet know enough about.

That's the whole point, people will be "encouraged" right into getting the vaccine...out of necessity. And for the "common good," which has always been a big playing card for totalitarian governments.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As long as the opportunity is there for everyone to get vaccinated at no cost then it is hardly racist if a group refuses to get vaccinated at a higher percentage. There is not much difference in this sort of limitation than "No shoes, no shirt, no service".
Even if some can't, we shouldn't sacrifice public safety for them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's true, you have that right. This is getting out of hand though, I think it's more to do with control and conformity. There are lots of business owners who don't want such a thing made a requirement. We saw the same thing with the masks... at first they were voluntary... then eventually mandatory. By the same token, isn't it also a business owner's right to say they won't require customers to wear a mask? But no, they were forced to enforce it (I'm from Michigan until recently, so I know :)) It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination for me to envision this going the same direction.
If we're to endure regulation, it should be of value.
So I can see the mask requirement.
(I'm in Michiganistan too. Our governor initially
mishandled it with inconsistent over-regulation.)

Orbit

I'm a planet
I wouldn't get on a plane unless everyone were vaccinated. The threat to public health is too great otherwise.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Battle rages over vaccine passports
Excerpted....
Republicans are up in arms over the possibility that businesses and local governments may require vaccine passports for people to get access to certain activities, buildings or events.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has urged his state’s GOP-controlled legislature to pass a law forbidding passes showing proof of coronavirus vaccination, while vowing to take executive action. Congressional Republicans have similarly slammed the passports, framing them as invasive.

The Biden administration has said it will provide guidance on the matter, but signaled the decisions will largely be left up to local governments and business owners.

“We’re going to provide guidance, just as we have through the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention],” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday. “There’s currently an interagency process that is looking at many of the questions around vaccine verification.”

Supporters of the idea say it will help boost businesses — especially in hard-hit industries like travel and entertainment — as COVID-19 restrictions are scaled back and more Americans receive vaccines.

“The cruise lines, for instance, want to get people back on cruises. Airlines want to get people back traveling. And quite frankly, I want to get back traveling again as well, because I haven't been on an airplane since March and I used to travel all the time,” said Tim Paydos, global vice president of IBM’s government industry business.

“I only want to get on that airplane if I feel reasonably safe that everyone in there is healthy, and that the airline is taking care of me. And so that's what this is really all about,” he added

Paydos said IBM is in talks with “just about every state” and federal agencies about such passes.

Requiring vaccine passports could allow industries that have been closed off for much of the past year to reopen while minimizing the risks of spreading the virus. And proponents say virtual passes would speed up the verification process.

In New York, which last week became the first state to formally launch a virtual pass, the voluntary information is being touted as helping the state boost businesses that faced some of the toughest restrictions during the pandemic.

For example, New York recently expanded the number of permissible wedding guest attendees from 50 to 150 — as long as all attendees have proof of a negative test result or vaccination. Similar requirements have been made as the state allows sports fans back into stadiums and arenas.

Republicans are up in arms over the possibility that businesses and local governments may require vaccine passports for people to get access to certain activities, buildings or events.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has urged his state’s GOP-controlled legislature to pass a law forbidding passes showing proof of coronavirus vaccination, while vowing to take executive action. Congressional Republicans have similarly slammed the passports, framing them as invasive.

The Biden administration has said it will provide guidance on the matter, but signaled the decisions will largely be left up to local governments and business owners.

“We’re going to provide guidance, just as we have through the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention],” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday. “There’s currently an interagency process that is looking at many of the questions around vaccine verification.”

Supporters of the idea say it will help boost businesses — especially in hard-hit industries like travel and entertainment — as COVID-19 restrictions are scaled back and more Americans receive vaccines.

“The cruise lines, for instance, want to get people back on cruises. Airlines want to get people back traveling. And quite frankly, I want to get back traveling again as well, because I haven't been on an airplane since March and I used to travel all the time,” said Tim Paydos, global vice president of IBM’s government industry business.

“I only want to get on that airplane if I feel reasonably safe that everyone in there is healthy, and that the airline is taking care of me. And so that's what this is really all about,” he added.

Paydos said IBM is in talks with “just about every state” and federal agencies about such passes.

Requiring vaccine passports could allow industries that have been closed off for much of the past year to reopen while minimizing the risks of spreading the virus. And proponents say virtual passes would speed up the verification process.

In New York, which last week became the first state to formally launch a virtual pass, the voluntary information is being touted as helping the state boost businesses that faced some of the toughest restrictions during the pandemic.

For example, New York recently expanded the number of permissible wedding guest attendees from 50 to 150 — as long as all attendees have proof of a negative test result or vaccination. Similar requirements have been made as the state allows sports fans back into stadiums and arenas.

New York’s Excelsior Pass, created in partnership with IBM, allows people to show if they have been vaccinated before attending events where proof is required.

Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont (D) on Monday signaled his state may launch a similar pass in the coming months.

“I think it’s a little premature, only in that not everyone has the vaccine available to them yet. But I like to think within a month or two when broadly available, I think you will see some type of vaccine passport or validation ... probably led by the private sector,” Lamont said at a press briefing.

Some Republican governors, though, are fiercely pushing back on such efforts.

DeSantis vowed on Monday to take executive action this week to ban the passes.

I have a card that says I've been vaccinated, but I don't know if it would be a vaccine "passport." Will it be free to all who have been vaccinated, or will people have to pay for it?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have a card that says I've been vaccinated, but I don't know if it would be a vaccine "passport." Will it be free to all who have been vaccinated, or will people have to pay for it?

I've got one too, seems to be standard practice afaik. Making photocopies in case I misplace mine as well.

But yeah, it's not a "passport", per se.

Batya

Always Forward
If we're to endure regulation, it should be of value.
So I can see the mask requirement.
(I'm in Michiganistan too. Our governor initially
mishandled it with inconsistent over-regulation.)
Ah, former neighbors then. :)

My point is, things can start out innocent or as something that we can justify as acceptable, yet progress to something far more nefarious. Forcing everyone to get this vaccine and have their "papers" to prove it and get access to anything is simply a very eerie idea. Not all regulation is bad, but people have historically endured various regulations that were considered of value... yet all was not well and good in some cases. Everything starts small.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh Revolting. Is this a special psy-op to ensure the government is above board? You can trust me, I won’t tell on you.
It's a secret.
But for you....
I want to greatly lower the odds of my getting the plague.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah, former neighbors then. :)

My point is, things can start out innocent or as something that we can justify as acceptable, yet progress to something far more nefarious. Forcing everyone to get this vaccine and have their "papers" to prove it and get access to anything is simply a very eerie idea. Not all regulation is bad, but people have historically endured various regulations that were considered of value... yet all was not well and good in some cases. Everything starts small.
I believe in drawing a line in the sand (& to move it as needed).
Regulation & government require continual vigilance.
They're always seeking more power than they deserve.

Last edited: