• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Business of living is a problem

atanu

Premium Member
Working, sex, earning money, thinking, feeling, experiencing—you know, the whole business of living—why is it a problem?

Do you agree that living itself is problem? Why or why not?
If you agree that life is a problem then what is the teaching of your religion for overcoming the problem?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Working, sex, earning money, thinking, feeling, experiencing—you know, the whole business of living—why is it a problem?

Not a problem, but certainly an enabler or prerequisite of all or nearly all problems.

Living brings with it a series of duties and responsibilities, even if those are rarely well understood and acknowledged.

If you agree that life is a problem then what is the teaching of your religion for overcoming the problem?
Accepting the duties and responsiblities that arise out of interdependent origination and doing our best to deal intelligently with them.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

As compared to what?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

By seeing and attaching any idea that something/anything is a problem, we in turn as a result, tend make it out as being one when in truth it really isn't the case.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Atanu ji

Let s look at it this way if it were problem free , would we ever strive towards knowledge or realisation?

in which case the Gita again has expressed it sucinctly , .....

O best of the Bhāratas, now please hear from Me about the three kinds of happiness which the conditioned soul enjoys, and by which he sometimes comes to the end of all distress. That which in the beginning may be just like poison but at the end is just like nectar and which awakens one to self-realization is said to be happiness in the mode of goodness. .....Bhagavad Gita Ch ..18 V ..36-37

Here what seems like poison is the endeavour to detatch from all material attatchments , indulgences , from self gratification and self serving at first the thought of giving these up seems like poison , this practice at first is hard and disspleasing , yet as we progress what seemed to be so attractive looses its alure and true happiness is found not in grasping at the temporary and material , but is found in the trancendental reality only , ....

That happiness which is derived from contact of the senses with their objects and which appears like nectar at first but poison at the end is said to be of the nature of passion......Bhagavad Gita Ch ..18 V ..38

And that happiness which is blind to self-realization, which is delusion from beginning to end and which arises from sleep, laziness and illusion is said to be of the nature of ignorance......Bhagavad Gita Ch ..18 V ..39

it is only living either governed by the mode of passion , or in the mode of Ignorance that is the cause of our problems , ....

But that worker who is attached to the fruits of his labor and who passionately wants to enjoy them, who is greedy, envious and impure and moved by happiness and distress, is a worker in the mode of passion......Bhagavad Gita Ch ..18 V ..27

Sadly this man will suffer when ever what he desires is not within his grasp , ...but the man who sees material nature as fleeting and knows its true nature to be impermenant is not so disturbed by either loss or gain , ...he is ''equal in happiness and distress''

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Then this thread is cut out for you .. Let us wait.

I'm sorry, what? I'm thinking you missed the intended meaning of that post, which in fairness, I was being deliberately sideways there. Let me rephrase, then.

Problems? What are you talking about? What problems? You mean the problems humans manufacture in their own minds by making demands on a reality that inevitably fails to conform to such demands? Humans are silly.

atanu

Premium Member
I'm sorry, what? I'm thinking you missed the intended meaning of that post, which in fairness, I was being deliberately sideways there. Let me rephrase, then.

Problems? What are you talking about? What problems? You mean the problems humans manufacture in their own minds by making demands on a reality that inevitably fails to conform to such demands? Humans are silly.

I understood your first post very well and thus I meant that you can be the best poster in this thread. How we may live yet avoid the sillyness that you talk about?

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

In all seriousness, is this a cry for help?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

I was never promised a rose garden and now I have many. :rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:
It's all about effort, expectation and a dose of good fortune. Timing is important too, but perseverance is probably one of the most valuable assets one can have. When reality clubs you on the back of the head, pause, reflect and then get back into the saddle and try again from a different approach. Life is only a problem if you make it a problem. The world is not out to get you but it can seem like it at times, but here your expectations will most certainly colour your experience. The danger is if you look at life as a problem you will view life through that lens and that, in itself, can become problematic due to your skewed perspective. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Buddhist ji

The problem is dukkha (suffering). Everything done in this life is either suffering, or for the purpose of (temporarily) relieving suffering.

personaly I would not like to say that everything is suffering or that our every action is dedicated to the releif of suffering ,...

only when the being in question grasps at an independant existance , does he then experience the strong sence of self that feels pleasure and pain , ....only then does he experience suffering as even his pleasures are tainted with pains of grasping and the fear of loss , ....

but on the other hand the human being is also capable of expressing , experiencing and sharing great joy , ..these are moments of selfless giving and celebration .