• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Administration Supresses Voucher News!

Flappycat

Sunstone said:
What do you think of the Administration's efforts to burry this study that shows state funded schools stack up well to privately funded schools?
SQUIRM! SQUIRM, little maggots! It's more mud on the face of the American Hezbollah, and they appear to know it.

Do you think this study kicks the legs out from beneath the voucher movement? If so, why? If not, why not?
Oh, yes. You see, the real advantage of private schools is that many attending them come from better backgrounds. The actual instruction therein isn't necessarily superior, and vouchers entirely defeat their purpose. They also reduce the need for the private schools to compete against the public school-system, which also serves to tear down the purpose of sending a child to a private school.

Are you for or against vouchers?
Against. For one thing, we need a more federally aided school system, and no more of this nonsense of leaving inner-city kids to the wolves. The days of government-enforced class privilege should have ended a long, long time ago. If you want your kids to have a better education, you're going to have to care enough to pay for it. Unless your income range makes you eligible to recieve foodstamps, you can afford it if you're willing to make sacrifices. People shouldn't have to pay five-hundred kay and up just to live close to the good schools.

Smoke

Done here.
PureX said:
My idea would be to forget the vouchers, and simply stop imposing school taxes on parents who send their children to private schools.

Booko said:
Now that is a suggestion I can go along with. If you're paying for your kid to be in private school, then you can be exempt from school taxes while they're in the school.

For everyone else -- situation normal.
How about, Situation Normal for everybody, and people who feel the need to send their kids to private schools can foot the bill for it themselves. Everybody has an interest in good public education, and people who choose to put their kids in private schools should not be relieved of their civic obligations.

retrorich said:
I have no children, yet all my working life, I have paid school taxes. And I have never complained about that.
Same here.
The study looked at reading and math scores from 2003 in grades four and eight. The one area where private schools did better was in eighth-grade reading. But religious conservatives, who are some of the strongest voucher supporters, wouldn't like the details. The study found that children in religion-oriented Christian schools did no better than their public school counterparts in eighth-grade reading and did much worse in math.
If people want to drop their money down a rathole, fine. We shouldn't give into their demand to be allowed to use public money to finance their hobby.