• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

burnout

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Can you narrow it down a little?

As far as a specific activity I'd imagine much of the symptoms of depression would apply.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
how can you tell if you are suffering from burnout?
Good question.

Generally stress is accompanied by some sorts of physical symptoms, your body's way of telling you something about it. The initial manifesting symptom varies from person to person. Here are some

... digestive problems, tightness in the gut (the reason behind the expression 'don't get your sh_ in a knot')
... increased frequency of headaches
... poor sleep, feeling fatigued all the time
... rashes
... restlessness, inability to focus

Burnout can be unpredictable for some, and you can 'crash' where it's like the last straw throws you over the edge.

Best wishes, keep talking to someone, that's important. See a doc if you haven't already.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I just feel drained emotionally and mentally in general

Lots of people feel that way, at least some of the time. My first experience (45 years ago) with it was at university when I was taking too many courses. So overwork is a cause too. The counselor I went to right away told me to drop a couple of classes. Stressful busy occupations or keeping down two jobs is too much for many. So you need to look at that too. Since you have free time to come on here, I would doubt that that is it though.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Lots of people feel that way, at least some of the time. My first experience (45 years ago) with it was at university when I was taking too many courses. So overwork is a cause too. The counselor I went to right away told me to drop a couple of classes. Stressful busy occupations or keeping down two jobs is too much for many. So you need to look at that too. Since you have free time to come on here, I would doubt that that is it though.
is it possible to burn out from trying to hard to blend in?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
is it possible to burn out from trying to hard to blend in?

I'm not a trained psychologist, but I think any fixation on anything could be unhealthy. As for blending in, some folks relish differences, so perhaps that's very much an individual thing.

You have autisn, if I remember right?

VoidCat

I'm not a trained psychologist, but I think any fixation on anything could be unhealthy. As for blending in, some folks relish differences, so perhaps that's very much an individual thing.

You have autisn, if I remember right?
Yes I have autism.And due to stress I've been having an increase in shutdowns...Had a meltdown a few days ago that ended in me unable to talk for a few hours.I wonder if this is due to burnout

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes I have autism.And due to stress I've been having an increase in shutdowns...Had a meltdown a few days ago that ended in me unable to talk for a few hours.I wonder if this is due to burnout

It might be. Have there been some huge changes in your life lately?

BTW, I quite like autistic people. It is harder depending on where they are on the spectrum. You seem high functioning. You're on here communicating effectively, aren't you?

(I have to go just now, but will be back later.)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
how can you tell if you are suffering from burnout?

Usually when I don't feel like doing some specific activity any more.

When I feel burned-out, I will go do something I enjoy for awhile. Until I feel better about things. Engage in some distraction until you're feeling better. I give it some time then I'm usually ready to deal with it some more.

VoidCat

It might be. Have there been some huge changes in your life lately?

BTW, I quite like autistic people. It is harder depending on where they are on the spectrum. You seem high functioning. You're on here communicating effectively, aren't you?

(I have to go just now, but will be back later.)
There has been..I dislike high and low functioning terms for good reasons.The strengths of so-call low functioning people such as Amy Sequenzia are ignore while the struggles of so called high functioning people are ignored...More on that here: Functioning Labels I'm a verbal autistic who loses the ability to speak sometimes if you so need to label and categorize me.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There has been..I dislike high and low functioning terms for good reasons.The strengths of so-call low functioning people such as Amy Sequenzia are ignore while the struggles of so called high functioning people are ignored...More on that here: Functioning Labels I'm a partly verbal autistic if you so need to label and categorize me.

I have a question.

Online I see no reason to treat you differently from any other poster. In fact if you hadn't mentioned autism yourself, it would be irrelevant in whatever gets posted.

Should people treat you differently from any other poster. And, in person, are there do's and don'ts for neurotypical folks when they deal with people with autism.

Neurotypical people have their issues. I just learn how to deal with people as individuals. Applying labels to a person creates an artificial construct in a relationship of how you deal with an individual. At the sametime if you don't take into consideration the labels a person attaches to themself, they might get upset or offended. Still even this is individual, like I wouldn't treat all "liberals" the same.

So, online, IMO your autism is not relevant to how I would respond to your post. Should it be? And, in person, would this be different?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It gets easier over time.
Techniques to cope with normal folk become 2nd nature.
Eventually, you'll trick many neurotypicals into thinking you're one of them.

I suppose for one thing we don't go about calling people neurotypical. IMO, nobody's "normal". Most people have their special needs. Even people I like, you learn what triggers them and don't do it unless you're mad at them. We are all on a spectrum of human behavior of some sort.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suppose for one thing we don't go about calling people neurotypical. IMO, nobody's "normal". Most people have their special needs. Even people I like, you learn what triggers them and don't do it unless you're mad at them. We are all on a spectrum of human behavior of some sort.
Typical neurotypical talk.
It's not so true that everyone is equally not normal.

How's that for a confusing over-use of negatives, eh.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There has been..I dislike high and low functioning terms for good reasons.The strengths of so-call low functioning people such as Amy Sequenzia are ignore while the struggles of so called high functioning people are ignored...More on that here: Functioning Labels I'm a verbal autistic who loses the ability to speak sometimes if you so need to label and categorize me.

Sorry about that, and thanks for the information. It's useful. As for the original question, a ton is related to frequency. If you lose the ability to speak once a month versus 6 times a day. Huge difference.

Regardless, you're on here, which is good. I'm always happy for diversity.

VoidCat

I have a question.

Online I see no reason to treat you differently from any other poster. In fact if you hadn't mentioned autism yourself, it would be irrelevant in whatever gets posted.

Should people treat you differently from any other poster. And, in person, are there do's and don'ts for neurotypical folks when they deal with people with autism.

Neurotypical people have their issues. I just learn how to deal with people as individuals. Applying labels to a person creates an artificial construct in a relationship of how you deal with an individual. At the sametime if you don't take into consideration the labels a person attaches to themself, they might get upset or offended. Still even this is individual, like I wouldn't treat all "liberals" the same.

So, online, IMO your autism is not relevant to how I would respond to your post. Should it be? And, in person, would this be different?
I wouldn't see why anyone would treat me any different online. In fact I would not have mentioned it on this particular post until someone else did.Offline is another story. I have some sensory processing issues so that would be something to take into consideration. Also you would want to take into consideration the fact that my body language is different from most people along with the fact I don't make eye contact among other things. Then you would have to know that I stim a lot and to stop me from doing so (if it's not a harmful stim)would be harmful to me. You would also have to know if I don't talk to you especially after a meltdown or during a shutdown I might not be able to speak at that moment. Might not have the ability to call upon those resources.