• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burning Bibles (and other taboos)

jasonwill2

Apologies Jason. You cought my attention with the importance of symbols and symbolism. And you are right, it's an area that deserves a better appreciation.
I had a long and exhausting day at work, and I did skimp through your sources and an OP deserves better.
I'll re-read hopefully soon enough, and will try to responde better.

Thank you then :) I apologize if I was blunt with you, part of my response is just my over-all frustration with explaining everything, which I have done in this particular subject many times on these forums and at least six times to my therapist (who should of understood it anyways being a psychologist). So I know that even the brightest and well-informed people do not always actively and consciously realize in their daily life just how subconsciously powerful symbols are.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

Perhaps before I responded poorly to some comments made, but about ten minutes ago near the end of a sex magick working, I realized something, or rather, something in my head asked me:

"What use is it caring?"

Notice it didn't ask me why I cared, I knew why. I was frustrated that people's bias and bigotries were getting in the way of any possibility of an objective conversation, that I came here to compare, not to debate the validity of religious acts hundreds of years old.

But what use is it? I know I won't convince any of you, but for the on-lookers to this site, who feel the need for this yet cringe when hearing their need is "childish", this is a stand for them. When someone tells me that "I think it's childish", they are making a subjective statement, and an ad hominem one at that. So what if you think it's childish? It's not relevant the the discussion, and voicing such obviously bigoted opinions won't help you understand another religion any better. Not that I am surprised though given how ignorant people are of Heterodox practices, the hallmark of the Philosophy known as the Left Hand Path. Is this good or bad? It really doesn't matter, it only matters to me that people do not lie and misrepresent what the Left Hand Path and Satanism is.

Some of you talked as if this is somehow unhealthy, but the fact is is that every one does it too, but that you just don't realize it. Burning a Bible is more obvious then other forms of taboo breaking or what accounts to symbolically renouncing something, including past relationships. Psychologically speaking, it's the same thing, other than a ritual is more pronounced as it is aware of, and exploits, this psychological effect of symbolism.

Some say that you can deal with subconscious emotions - by "dealing with them." Do you seriously think that is a valid argument against this? Renunciation is a very brutally quick and efficient way of dealing with emotions, I don't see how "you can deal with them" in any way short of psychodrama unless you want to spend lots of money and time to erase an issue that could be dealt with in a much shorter time. What kind of emotions do you think I am even talking about? The links I gave talked specifically about irrational emotions not founded in intellectual thought, but by programming.

Someone mentioned you should get over it by informing yourself, and that is all well and good, but the intellectual mind and the emotional mind are two different parts. The author of the site said in both links, as well in all her pages on blasphemy, suggests that only after months of research, debate, and only only after one is 100% sure intellectually that x religion is wrong, should they perform a rite of blasphemy, should they still even then have some lingering emotions. And irrational fears, as I mentioned earlier, are not capable of reason... they must be dealt with through psychodrama.

To chalk this up to childishness is simply your own subjective opinions, as I mentioned earlier. To say that the reasons are "weak" after reading one article, are as well an indication of one's unwillingness to learn about another side, perhaps something very foreign. I probably shouldn't of been offended, people often react very negatively and emotionally to what they don't understand. But to be quite honest, if what I described was childish, then you have no concept of what it is I really do in these rituals. :rolleyes: Let's say that twice I have done things best left off my key strokes. Though be that as it may, I don't see why what I am doing should be compared to teenagers desecrating Churches, which is a crime. To lump me in with them is to forget the fact that what I have done in the past in the context of rituals is law-abiding, and that it was done on my property with solely my property and no one watching. It was purely for myself.

I also find it odd, until I remember that it's taboo to most people, that some are upset by the notion of using symbols as proxies. It is quite common in magickal practice really, even when a "black" (for a lack of a better term) magician casts a death curse, the victim is killed via proxy of of an effigy, poetry, or other imagery. Is this childish? Maybe to you, but it doesn't matter, your subjective opinions only apply to you, and say more about your mindset then it ever will about mine.

The thing people keep forgetting is the book, or anything that is desecrated, is just a symbol. There are millions if billions of Bibles in the world, I can do with mine what I please and no one would be wiser. What the Bible in question symbolizes to me, is not what it symbolizes to you. I made a topic a while ago in the LHP DIR talking about a Bible I found, and you know what? Not a single member of the DIR thought it was childish, I was even given advice on what to do with it. In the topic, I was asked what it symbolized, and I went into a highly personalized miniture story of how, this Bible being my oldest one ever, it represented a certain very early part of my life. So then for this specific Bible, it represented me being tricked by my father, and the complicated spiritual feelings involved in how he converted me to Christianity.

I didn't want to do it because I was angry, I wanted to do it because I wanted to "burn away", through the "fires" of "Hell", the emotions. Hell in a number of religions is a place of purification, where impurity is purged and burned away, and with this the symbolism of fire is born. Let's not even get into how things burned literally go to almost nothing, leaving little trace (if burned into a very fine ash), and what metaphors are made from that.

As I've said, I have not done many rites of blasphemy, I can count them, including a renunciation, on one hand. As I've said before, I've probably done fifty or more Satanic rituals in my life, meaning that less than 10% of my rituals are blasphemous in anyway.

Have any of you heard of The Black Mass, or why Satanic and non-Satanic groups use it? It is a really interesting thing, and the Church of Satan, despite all my other disagreements with them over anti-theism, explains it very well. As well from a theistic view point, blasphemy is not a major component of Satanism:

For most Satanists, I would recommend rites of blasphemy only occasionally, as a way of freeing oneself from irrational fears and inhibitions. For most Satanists, I would not recommend rites of blasphemy as a routine practice. Routine rituals should focus on Satan Himself, not on His enemy or on whatever else you want to free yourself from.
source of quote: For blasphemy fetishists

So if you guys want to compare religions, talk about taboos/renunciation/blasphemy in the context of religions in general, then let's do so. However if your only intention is attacking the practice itself, and specifically me and my specific instances of religious practice that is fully acceptable in the scope of my entire school of thought as at least a few did, then you probably shouldnt be in the COMPARATIVE RELIGION forums.

And quite honestly.. people's inability to see the power in the symbolism... is quite ironic because it is the symbolism many are caught-up on... which is why it works when one finally shatters it (in the context of Renouncements, taboos, and some forms of blasphemy).

----------

So I'll ask again, has anyone ever renounced or blasphemed something in the context of their religion or conversion, or sought to break taboos? I know this isn't unique to Satanism, I know that the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church had a conversion renouncement and that a number of branches of Hinduism and Buddhism work very much with destroying inhibitions be breaking taboos.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Jason take it from me personally, you won't get very far doing this.

Your projecting things onto people that are far less attuned than you are.

Trust me, they don't seek the same things you and I do, even if they seem honest in their appeal chances are they see these types of things as a joke. And when they do, its best to show them what part they play, exactly, in this joke.

jasonwill2

Jason take it from me personally, you won't get very far doing this.

Your projecting things onto people that are far less attuned than you are.

Trust me, they don't seek the same things you and I do, even if they seem honest in their appeal chances are they see these types of things as a joke. And when they do, its best to show them what part they play, exactly, in this joke.

While I agree that they may not be as a-tuned to their subconscious as others may or may not be, some trickle of reason might get through that this is done in many, many religions and has no measure on maturity or mental health.

Maybe they will realize I wasn't asking for their opinion on it in the first place? :shrug: Only that I wanted to talk to other people who have had experience with this.

I mean, if you are still intellectually grounded in former beliefs and also blasphemy all the time, it can sometimes make you more unstable... but I wasn't asking for instances like that. I wanted to compare religions that have rituals or ideas of catharsis similar to this.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Jason you burn bibles to remove attachment but are attached to the burning move on stop hating who you were and start loving who you are. Just like the other members and i have said just like hasatan said to you.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Its not about being attuned to subconscious, its about being attune to intent. If they see it as a joke, why further and solidify their opinion?

But when people are being sarcastic and dry about something that means something to us, its best to show them why we do what we do.

jasonwill2

Jason you burn bibles to remove attachment but are attached to the burning move on stop hating who you were and start loving who you are. Just like the other members and i have said just like hasatan said to you.

:eek:

You remembered, like three different topics spread out over time a couple/few months ago with this.

But your right in some ways, however things are not so simple. There are things lurking in the mind I have not identified, and may not for a while. I identified one of them a while ago, and am dealing with that one now intellectually before I can deal with it emotionally with a ritual, and this is a big one. It's the one that has held me back for so long. And now that I know that the problem is, I can face it without anger being the focus, but with tears... there will be anger, but it won't be me enjoying it this time but getting rid of it.

Sometimes taboos are fun, but sometimes, like my next planned one (a double-taboo I have planned), it is one of those one-time-only rituals. I need to undo some damage I did when I was too stupid and messed with something subconsciously I wasn't ready to deal with yet >.< I won't make this mistake again.

==========

Sorry for my above thing anyone, but it was hard not to address.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

Its not about being attuned to subconscious, its about being attune to intent. If they see it as a joke, why further and solidify their opinion?

But when people are being sarcastic and dry about something that means something to us, its best to show them why we do what we do.

Oh, I get your point then. That is part of what I tried to do, however I am not sure what else might be done; I laid out the chips, it is for them to figure out if they wish to understand another view, and for them to ignore of they desire that as well.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Jason that's valid but even if you are unsure of the path forward you must still stop harping on the path you left. Satan has encouraged you to focus on growth not destructiin. And yes these topic require a lager view.

jasonwill2

*deleted portion responding to deleted post*
Jason that's valid but even if you are unsure of the path forward you must still stop harping on the path you left. Satan has encouraged you to focus on growth not destructiin. And yes these topic require a lager view.

..But how can I go forward if I can't destroy my ego so that it can be recreated during the spell/ritual? I need to experience some destruction before I can re-make myself in a new image. Also the thing is not about my past Christian beliefs but something that I did as a Satanist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Right you are sir. :D

But aside from that, what you said about ritual and remanifestation is very agreeable.

Destruction is necessary for growth.

Orias

Left Hand Path
An example would be a larger breed of mammal or fish in small and confined space or aquarium.

Also a large tree growing in a small pot, bindings are necessary for structure in the beginning, but as one matures braces will soon become obsolete.

no-body

On the one hand I think destroying things is pointless on the other I can see the symbolic power behind it. Mentally things have power of us whether we like it or not and not everyone is ready to skip to the forgiveness part and let go. Some people need the small steps to get there.

When you think about it a true Christian would immediately forgive you for your actions anyway and hand you the match and bible you need if it helped you. Of course you can probably count true Christians out there on one hand.

Iti oj

Premium Member
*deleted previously deleted portion*
..But how can I go forward if I can't destroy my ego so that it can be recreated during the spell/ritual? I need to experience some destruction before I can re-make myself in a new image. Also the thing is not about my past Christian beliefs but something that I did as a Satanist.

How can it ever grow when you constantly set fire to it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Iti oj

Premium Member
Do fires not grow?

Jason is more then a flame ready to wither when nothing fuels it. He is the forest the grows from the fire the phonix that rises from the ashes.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I'm not going to debate, but you were talking about him continually burning so I assumed you meant for him to extinguish something. With the idea that both burning and extinguishing are forms of destruction.

On the same note, how can a phoenix be reborn if it has no ashes to rise from? The cycle in which a phoenix coincides with is as infinite as the matter in the dimension of existence that it dwells in.

Just like without the water in the ocean, there can be no clouds to block the intensity of the sun.