• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burma wants to wipe out Christianity

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
darkpenguin said:
As I said, I don't have a problem with that.
Nope not god, just a logical thinking communist.
I look at all the bad that christianity has done in the name of spreading the word of 'god', much much worse then paganism (at least they don't force their religion on anyone!!!) and it makes me simply not care about a few christians getting kicked out of a country.
I think it's about time that they were stood up against.
The 'true' religion indeed :foot:.

Actually, pagans have tried to force their religion on others. I don't know what the hell you're thinking about, but do any of these names ring a bell?

Nero
Diocletian
Julian the Apostate

There were likewise Teutonic pagans who forcibly converted Christians (the Goths in 4th century Romania being an example that springs to mind) and did so by means of torture, persecution and murder.

I'd also point out two things. Firstly that the methods Burma's junta has used against the Karen people do not suggest (unless you are completely naive) that this policy is about expelling Christians. There is no doubt that they will be tortured, murdered and imprisoned. That's just what they do to their opponents.

Secondly, as a 'good communist' you are in absolutely no position to talk about violence in the name of religion. The violence in the name of the spread of communist ideology has been far greater than any other persecution I can think of. Certainly, there were far more (far, far more) Christian martyrs under the 20th century communist regimes than even under the worst Roman persecution under Diocletian. And it wasn't just Christians either - Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, all have suffered immeasurably in the name of communism.

I really wouldn't play the 'karma' card if I were you, as communists would likely fare much worse than Christians. It's just a good job you don't appear to believe in the Wiccan idea of threefold return.

James

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
JamesThePersian said:
I really wouldn't play the 'karma' card if I were you, as communists would likely fare much worse than Christians. It's just a good job you don't appear to believe in the Wiccan idea of threefold return.

James

Actually I do. I'm a very firm believer in karma as for me it's a state of mind, much like wicca it's mostly down to possitive thinking.
As far as my communist side goes, it stretches as far as me wanting and thinking that in a perfect world everybody should be equal with no exceptions.
I really can't see what all the fuss is about this situation really, It really doesn't surprise me at all.
This sort of thing has always happened since religion was introduced as a form of control and as long as there is religion in the world it will continue to happen.
Alas, I will be sitting smugly when science proves religion wrong!

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
darkpenguin said:
Actually I do. I'm a very firm believer in karma as for me it's a state of mind, much like wicca it's mostly down to possitive thinking.
As far as my communist side goes, it stretches as far as me wanting and thinking that in a perfect world everybody should be equal with no exceptions.
I really can't see what all the fuss is about this situation really, It really doesn't surprise me at all.
This sort of thing has always happened since religion was introduced as a form of control and as long as there is religion in the world it will continue to happen.

If you agree with the Wiccan idea, you're expecting, as a communist, to reap three times the pain sowed in the name of communism then, I take it? If you think that religion's demise would put an end to such persecutions then you really are naive. The 20th century saw persecutions in the name of non-religious ideologies that dwarfed most religious persecutions. The phenomenon has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with human nature.

Persecution is always wrong, no matter who perpetrates it or upon whom, even if the victims happen to share an ideology with some who previously persecuted the current persecutors. It's always wrong and should be condemned. One is left wondering at the humanity of those who would consider it just deserts - not that I have high expectations in general for the humanity of those who identify themselves as communist.

James

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
After reading the article, I am utterly saddened with the treatment the Christians are receiving in Burma. My prayers go out to all those persecuted there for their protection.

Peace,
Mystic

gnomon

darkpenguin said:

Well that explains it. Not only being an irrational heathen but a communist as well speaks volumes about the inability to hold compassion for others. One can only wonder why you support the "Buddhist" junta in this situation.

I mean, certainly the people only got what they deserved long ago when the original christian missionaries and European imperialists arrived. I love this karma thing, you can just keep going back placing irrational blame and just ignore the dynamics of a current situation.

How thoroughly reasonable.:sarcastic

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
darkpenguin said:
... I have no problem with anyone wanting to wipe out christianity anywhere...
Anyone with the slightest understanding of karma and tiniest shread of compassion for fellow human beings would eschew such an ignorant and hate filled statement.

I oppose the efforts of the government of ____________ to wipe out the ___________ religion. Please fill in the blanks with the entity and belief of your choice. Live and let live...that is the true essence of karma. :)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
darkpenguin said:
Ah karma, 'tis a funny thing, i seem to remember christians treating pagans the same. I have no problem with anyone wanting to wipe out christianity anywhere.
As i said, karma.

Careful not to blame the religious for the religion...

standing_alone

Wow, it sickens me that anyone would be okay with what is happening. Past oppressions committed under the name of the same religion by different people from this group of Christians has no bearing on this situation nor justifies the actions brought against them. Funny that the ones so disgusted by past Christian oppressions and aggressions, blaming religion for bringing it about, are okay with this act of religious oppression and aggression. While I don't think religions should be barred from criticism and do have blame for past actions done in their name, to offer supportive voice to the very religious oppression against one religion you criticize the other one for having done in the past is nothing less than hypocritical.

Ody

Mister Emu said:
And I remember pagans attempting to wipe out Christianity as soon as it got started?

Guess it would be OK to nuke em... Karma, you know.

Christian violence against pagans was much more extensive and life consuming than the sadistic politically motivated acts of the emperors.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
‡Âlãn‡ said:
Christian violence against pagans was much more extensive and life consuming than the sadistic politically motivated acts of the emperors.

Are you sure about that? And how do you determine that something is politically motivated in a world where politics and religion are inextricably linked? In that respect Rome was more like Iran than say the UK. Any kind of statistics or evidence at all to back up your point here would be good.

James