• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burma wants to wipe out Christianity

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Hi all,

Just came across this article and thought some others might be interested. I always knew the junta in Burma was rather xenophobic, but hadn't realised that they were religious bigots too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/21/wburma21.xml

Violent xenophobes using military means and state persecution to spread Buddhism? I think someone needs to educate them on the teachings of the faith they claim as their own.

James

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
This is a sad situation indeed. My heart goes out to these folks. ...It's a Buddhist Illuminati... :areyoucra

A

angellous_evangellous

This is terrible! I have Christian friends in Burma.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
A dreadful story................

The text, which opens with the line "There shall be no home where the Christian religion is practised", calls for anyone caught evangelising to be imprisoned. It advises: "The Christian religion is very gentle – identify and utilise its weakness."

Is particularly shocking; if they identify the "Gentleness", what possible motive could they have to annihilate Christianity ?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
That's very sad - it'll change the whole character of Christianity in Burma, if it survives, as well. It will become more... hard? Stiff, cold, etc... just as all faiths in the western Balkans have.

There's one thing I do agree with, though - making evangelism illegal. If I was given the opportunity to make proselytism, on behalf of all faiths, illegal, I would. It just bothers me so much, I think it's a horrid, annoying, insulting, backwards thing to be doing. I wouldn't do what the Burmese government was doing, but I would limit proselytizing to houses of worship. If a Muslim wants to go to a Church and learn more about Christianity and possibly convert, you go right ahead - but I don't want them knocking on everyone's doors like beggars to find you. If a Christian wants to come to Mosque and convert, you're welcome - but I don't want a pair of us... harassing... Christian areas until they find you.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Djamila said:
That's very sad - it'll change the whole character of Christianity in Burma, if it survives, as well. It will become more... hard? Stiff, cold, etc... just as all faiths in the western Balkans have.

There's one thing I do agree with, though - making evangelism illegal. If I was given the opportunity to make proselytism, on behalf of all faiths, illegal, I would. It just bothers me so much, I think it's a horrid, annoying, insulting, backwards thing to be doing. I wouldn't do what the Burmese government was doing, but I would limit proselytizing to houses of worship. If a Muslim wants to go to a Church and learn more about Christianity and possibly convert, you go right ahead - but I don't want them knocking on everyone's doors like beggars to find you. If a Christian wants to come to Mosque and convert, you're welcome - but I don't want a pair of us... harassing... Christian areas until they find you.

I agree with you about evangelism - but that does raise an interesting point - not for this thread though..

Ozzie

JamesThePersian said:
Hi all,

Just came across this article and thought some others might be interested. I always knew the junta in Burma was rather xenophobic, but hadn't realised that they were religious bigots too.

Violent xenophobes using military means and state persecution to spread Buddhism? I think someone needs to educate them on the teachings of the faith they claim as their own.

James
These guys are engaged in ethnic cleansing. They could claim to be any religion they choose. They would have no interest in being educated. It would be inaccurate to claim they spare Buddhists at the expense of Christians. This evil, paranoid regime does not discriminate.

Ozzie

Godlike said:
Isn't Burma properly Myanmar? Anyway, evil regime for sure: do away with them I say!
How? Should we make them even more paranoid by refusing contact with them? Or should we try to reform them....These guys selected the site for a new capital using astrology (in secret), then built it in secret. Something else unusual is that there never seems to be a leader as such.

Random

Ozzie said:
How? Should we make them even more paranoid by refusing contact with them? Or should we try to reform them....

I haven't the patience to reform them. Nuke them! :seesaw:

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
JamesThePersian said:
Hi all,

James

Ah karma, 'tis a funny thing, i seem to remember christians treating pagans the same. I have no problem with anyone wanting to wipe out christianity anywhere.
As i said, karma.

logician

Smiling Xian missionaries have destroyed many cultures, so don't be surprised at the hatred of Xianity in many quarters.

Zephyr

Moved on
Although I don't approve of the tactics, I have no problem with Burma being a Buddhist country. Even a fully Buddhist country is fine by me.

astarath

As christians or jews our principles and tenets are the focus on love. Love your enemies. These lives are worth nothing if you give into fear and hatred, rather welcome them with love and understanding in the name of Yaheshua and Yahweh.
What holds true in the simplest sense must also hold true in a most difficult case such as this.

gnomon

darkpenguin said:
Ah karma, 'tis a funny thing, i seem to remember christians treating pagans the same. I have no problem with anyone wanting to wipe out christianity anywhere.
As i said, karma.

How wonderful.

Are your supporting the imprisonment and perhaps the forced eviction, not to mention the inevitable violence, against innocent people due to the actions of people long ago. I mean, this isn't even a situation of "sins of the fathers" but rather the "sins of other people's fathers in their dealings with the native people's fathers".

Why, you almost sound like God!:sarcastic

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
As i said, karma.
And I remember pagans attempting to wipe out Christianity as soon as it got started?

Guess it would be OK to nuke em... Karma, you know.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Mister Emu said:
And I remember pagans attempting to wipe out Christianity as soon as it got started?

Guess it would be OK to nuke em... Karma, you know.

Indeed. And again under Julian the Apostate, and Zoroastrians in Persia did, and....

If you want to play the 'karma' card, very soon you'll have no people left whatsoever, everyone having been wiped out (justifiably in the view of some posters here) by someone their coreligionists persecuted in the past. Even atheists wouldn't be safe - look at all the persecution carried out in the name of that.

James

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
gnomon said:
How wonderful.

Are your supporting the imprisonment and perhaps the forced eviction, not to mention the inevitable violence, against innocent people due to the actions of people long ago.

Why, you almost sound like God!:sarcastic

As I said, I don't have a problem with that.
Nope not god, just a logical thinking communist.
I look at all the bad that christianity has done in the name of spreading the word of 'god', much much worse then paganism (at least they don't force their religion on anyone!!!) and it makes me simply not care about a few christians getting kicked out of a country.
I think it's about time that they were stood up against.
The 'true' religion indeed :foot:.