• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burial or Cremation?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Stuffed and mounted. And invitations to remake Weekend at Bernie's

6882f931d1d7c3fecea560776b696296.jpg

One remake, coming right up...

141933606_4030488060304227_5639393833619323138_n.jpg

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Which will you have done to your remains? Or are you leaving the decision to those left behind?

Is your (or their) choice religious, cultural, environmental, or financial?

If buried, will your remains be embalmed? If cremated, what will be done with your ashes?
and the event is pending.....soooooooo close now

and finances seem to be the pivot

but even a cremation can cost 10,000dollars

why?....I don't know

I have heard.....there is a push for cardboard caskets
that allow remains to seep back to mother earth

sooooooooo much cheaper than the hard box

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Which will you have done to your remains? Or are you leaving the decision to those left behind?

If buried, will your remains be embalmed? If cremated, what will be done with your ashes?
I plan to be cremated - I am a Hindu and that is what Hinduism prescribes.

It is also better environmentally as well as financially - saves land and does not pollute the soil.

Per Hindu practice the ashes are supposed to be scattered in some body of water (like river or the sea). Hindus don't preserve any remains.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife & I decided on cremation with our ashes placed in a cremation niche near her parents that we purchased about three decades ago.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Not good to leave those decisions to others particularly if it will cause conflict. I knew a family who fought bitterly over their family members' funeral, and then fought over their ashes.......make your decision well in advance. Put things in writing. Its a personal decision.

Funerals are ridiculously expensive and its hard for any company to break the hold that established funeral companies have on the industry. Recently we had a company pop up on Facebook called "Bare Cremations" which just picks up the body, cremates it and delivers back the ashes for the family to do with as they wish. I personally hate cemeteries because they are a depressing eyesore IMO......so much nicer to have ashes scattered in beautiful places as a remembrance of the person.....and its also better for the environment. I have no religious or cultural hangups about it.

If cremated, what will be done with your ashes?

My husband's ashes are scattered in a very serene and beautiful place chosen by him near one of his favorite surfing spots. I visit there often and we lay flowers on his anniversary. I would rather remember him there than in some ugly graveyard with a whole bunch of other dead people. I will join him there if my time comes. My family know my wishes.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You know... I should devote more thought and effort to this topic. I don't want to leave my loved ones with a big bill because I didn't put in motion plans for what would happen to me after I die.

I don't really have a preference at all. Throw my dead body in a ditch for all I care. Family are the ones that will have to figure out what they'd prefer.

I would like to be a cadaver for med students to work on, or maybe a body for a body farm. Anything that might help future generations of scientists and doctors to learn their craft. :)

Let your family know your wishes, and put it in writing.....it is up to you, not them to make such an emotional decision.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Maybe organs donated, the rest buried to make who ever wants them to be happy.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
I would like to donate everything that can be donated. Then, like most Hindus, I would like to be cremated. And I think it would be nice to have my ashes scattered out to sea.

Suave

Simulated character

Everybody's earthly remains will ultimately become incinerated by the Sun as this expands into a red giant star within some few billion years.

willearthsur.jpg