• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burial or Cremation?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Which will you have done to your remains? Or are you leaving the decision to those left behind?

Is your (or their) choice religious, cultural, environmental, or financial?

If buried, will your remains be embalmed? If cremated, what will be done with your ashes?

Take the bits they want that may benefit others then burn the rest.

I would like my ashes scattered on the river ceou in a pretty forested glade i like to spend time but alas, such pollution is illegal in france so we have a family niche in a wall overlooking the valley.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Which will you have done to your remains? Or are you leaving the decision to those left behind?

If buried, will your remains be embalmed? If cremated, what will be done with your ashes?

We bury our dead but in the case of a plague or contagious disease cremation and medical requirements are exempted from this law.

In case of contagious diseases, such as the plague and cholera, whether cremation of bodies with lime or other chemicals is allowable or not? In such cases, hygiene and preservation is necessarily more important; for according to the clear Divine texts, medical commands are lawful, and 'necessities make forbidden things lawful' is one of the certain rules. (Abdul-Baha)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Cremation for religious beliefs. Ideally when the time approaches for me to leave the body it would be at Varanasi. I’d be cremated at one of the ghats and my ashes put into the Ganges. But since I have a better chance of playing dinosaur polo with Chris Hemsworth I’ll be cremated at a crematorium here in NJ. I’d have my best friend and/or nephew as witnesses. Usually the eldest male relative or close friend lights the funeral pyre. My ashes would be put into one of the local rivers. Hopefully that’s permissible by law. Unless I can be FedExed to India and put into one of the rivers. I understand there are commercial services to do that.

Another option is that my niece said she would take my ashes to India and scatter them. She said she always wanted to see India. I said, “wait a minute, you’re waiting for me to die so you can go to India on vacation?” She said yeah, pretty much. o_O

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

At this point... I have my body donated. Saves costs. Don't know if I will change that. Purely financial... and maybe those doctors will finally learn something :D

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

Cremation for me

What happens to my ashes is not my concern

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Burial. In a wooden box, very simple, so the earth can take me back.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Once my physical body is dropped, I won't care. If my wife is still in a body, she'll do whatever she wants (probably cremation).

If afterwards, maybe I should donate my body to whereever what is left of @Revoltingest 's body resides (assuming he's before me of course) just for fun.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Cremation for religious beliefs. Ideally when the time approaches for me to leave the body it would be at Varanasi. I’d be cremated at one of the ghats and my ashes put into the Ganges. But since I have a better chance of playing dinosaur polo with Chris Hemsworth I’ll be cremated at a crematorium here in NJ. I’d have my best friend and/or nephew as witnesses. Usually the eldest male relative or close friend lights the funeral pyre. My ashes would be put into one of the local rivers. Hopefully that’s permissible by law. Unless I can be FedExed to India and put into one of the rivers. I understand there are commercial services to do that.

Another option is that my niece said she would take my ashes to India and scatter them. She said she always wanted to see India. I said, “wait a minute, you’re waiting for me to die so you can go to India on vacation?” She said yeah, pretty much. o_O
I've thought of Varanasi, but it seems a bit much to ask of my son. If some willing volunteer came along, I might reconsider. As it stands, we have a spot picked out ... heading towards the Pacific, I will be. Here, within 5 hours, we could choose the Arctic, Hudson's Bay, Gulf of Mexico, or the Pacific.

Clara Tea

Some theists believe in eating the dead, not so much for food, but to allow them to live on in them (an act of kindness). Other theists believe in eating the hearts of their enemies (some believe that the heart should still be beating when they eat it), because it gives courage.

Some religions believe that you can get the trait of a powerful animal by eating various virile body parts. Tiger penis soup is said to give one the power of a tiger. This is why the poor, frustrated creature is on the endangered species list. Not only are tigers near extinction due to poaching and man's influence with Global Warming (denied by President W. Bush's attorneys who rewrote the United States Environmental Report that year, because people with Doctorates in environmental studies disagreed with greedy people who ran or owned oil companies at the root of destruction of God's environment), but poor, frustrated tigers now have to try to have sex without penises.

Some theists believe that rhinosaurus horns make one strong. The truth is that cutting off and grinding up a rhinosaurus horn makes the rhino less able to defend himself in the wild.

It might be construed by the theists that preventing them from killing then eating the corpses interferes with their Constitutional right of freedom of religion. There has been a lot in the news lately about not being able to force people outside of your religion to pray to your God in prayers led by teachers. Sitting alone in your seat and quietly praying to your God is not enough, nor is it enough to pray after school or on Saturday or Sunday (interferes with 1st Amendment rights of Freedom of Religion).

Some tribes of American Indians believe that the soul cannot rise to heaven unless the body has been placed on sticks raised above the earth. Health experts insist that rotting corpses might spread diseases, and Christians don't think that this is a proper Christian burial.

The diary of Francis Helm McClure was about her trip across the United States in a covered wagon in 1856. Her father had refused to give soup (as a fee for crossing Indian land), and hit the Indian over the head with a burning ember. This created a war which killed two of their wagon drivers and slaughtered the wagon train behind them and killed their chief (along with many other deaths). Francis recalled how she hid in the false bottom of the Conestoga wagon and screamed with the other kids as her brave sister, Louisa, reloaded ammo for the men. Her little brother got the flu and died on the trail, so they had to bury his body in the ruts of the trail and drive over his grave to disguise it, so that the Indians wouldn't dig up his grave and defile it by putting his body on sticks to allow his spirit to rise to heaven (as their religion dictated). Though scared that their blonde hair might adorn an Indian belt (scalped), Louisa didn't die by Indian attacks. Rather, she had been nursing her little brother back to health (unsuccessfully) and contracted flu herself. The wagon rerouted to Stockton, California, where Louisa was pronounced dead. With all the promise of a new farm in fertile and temperate climate, they had lost two of their kids. They had started out with the toughest oxen ever to plow a Missouri field, and a shiny new Conestoga with its tough axle and flappadoodle (wagon hatch that folds out to form a table with silverware and spice drawers behind it), and with all of their technology, could not stop disease (reminds me of COVID, today).

In the movie, "Life Stinks," their friend, Sailor, was homeless, and when he died, his corpse was unceremoniously picked up by a county van. But, they argued that they could spread Sailor's ashes at sea, as Sailor had requested. They tossed his ashes in the Los Angeles river (a concrete drainage channel that eventually drains to the Pacific), and the said goodbye to Sailor (but the ashes blew onto them, so it is like he never left), they wiped off the ashes and said goodbye to Sailor again. Billionaire Goddard Bolt eventually married his homeless bride (collecting the cans tied on the back of their car for the wedding....they're worth something). She had given him hope to carry on when all was bleak.

Some want the dead to become part of them, and others want their bodies to become part of the world that they had loved.

Some atheists believe that death is the end, so it doesn't matter how they died.

Some Chinese emperors (and south American kings) believed that one could "take it with you." Their jewels and executed servants were often buried with the corpses to serve them in the afterlife. Upon hearing this, some Chinese servants said "very dangerous."

God had allowed Romans to crucify hoards of people, prominently displayed on all of the roads leading to Rome. Apparently, God had no problem with their actions, and only sought to make his son one of the victims. Apparently dying in such a way is consistent with God's wishes.

Some believe that the dead come back as ghosts. Edgar Allen Poe wrote about his beloved Lenore coming back as a raven. "What that gaunt, ungainly, ghastly, and ominous bird of yore meant in croaking "nevermore."

exchemist

Veteran Member

Romantic. I intend to be buried with my wife. She is wearing her wedding ring and I will be wearing mine. They are engraved with our initials and the date we were married. I like the idea that one day our bones will be dug up and someone may see the rings and think for a moment about our marriage.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Some theists believe in eating the dead, not so much for food, but to allow them to live on in them (an act of kindness). Other theists believe in eating the hearts of their enemies (some believe that the heart should still be beating when they eat it), because it gives courage.

Some religions believe that you can get the trait of a powerful animal by eating various virile body parts. Tiger penis soup is said to give one the power of a tiger. This is why the poor, frustrated creature is on the endangered species list. Not only are tigers near extinction due to poaching and man's influence with Global Warming (denied by President W. Bush's attorneys who rewrote the United States Environmental Report that year, because people with Doctorates in environmental studies disagreed with greedy people who ran or owned oil companies at the root of destruction of God's environment), but poor, frustrated tigers now have to try to have sex without penises.

Some theists believe that rhinosaurus horns make one strong. The truth is that cutting off and grinding up a rhinosaurus horn makes the rhino less able to defend himself in the wild.

It might be construed by the theists that preventing them from killing then eating the corpses interferes with their Constitutional right of freedom of religion. There has been a lot in the news lately about not being able to force people outside of your religion to pray to your God in prayers led by teachers. Sitting alone in your seat and quietly praying to your God is not enough, nor is it enough to pray after school or on Saturday or Sunday (interferes with 1st Amendment rights of Freedom of Religion).

Some tribes of American Indians believe that the soul cannot rise to heaven unless the body has been placed on sticks raised above the earth. Health experts insist that rotting corpses might spread diseases, and Christians don't think that this is a proper Christian burial.

The diary of Francis Helm McClure was about her trip across the United States in a covered wagon in 1856. Her father had refused to give soup (as a fee for crossing Indian land), and hit the Indian over the head with a burning ember. This created a war which killed two of their wagon drivers and slaughtered the wagon train behind them and killed their chief (along with many other deaths). Francis recalled how she hid in the false bottom of the Conestoga wagon and screamed with the other kids as her brave sister, Louisa, reloaded ammo for the men. Her little brother got the flu and died on the trail, so they had to bury his body in the ruts of the trail and drive over his grave to disguise it, so that the Indians wouldn't dig up his grave and defile it by putting his body on sticks to allow his spirit to rise to heaven (as their religion dictated). Though scared that their blonde hair might adorn an Indian belt (scalped), Louisa didn't die by Indian attacks. Rather, she had been nursing her little brother back to health (unsuccessfully) and contracted flu herself. The wagon rerouted to Stockton, California, where Louisa was pronounced dead. With all the promise of a new farm in fertile and temperate climate, they had lost two of their kids. They had started out with the toughest oxen ever to plow a Missouri field, and a shiny new Conestoga with its tough axle and flappadoodle (wagon hatch that folds out to form a table with silverware and spice drawers behind it), and with all of their technology, could not stop disease (reminds me of COVID, today).

In the movie, "Life Stinks," their friend, Sailor, was homeless, and when he died, his corpse was unceremoniously picked up by a county van. But, they argued that they could spread Sailor's ashes at sea, as Sailor had requested. They tossed his ashes in the Los Angeles river (a concrete drainage channel that eventually drains to the Pacific), and the said goodbye to Sailor (but the ashes blew onto them, so it is like he never left), they wiped off the ashes and said goodbye to Sailor again. Billionaire Goddard Bolt eventually married his homeless bride (collecting the cans tied on the back of their car for the wedding....they're worth something). She had given him hope to carry on when all was bleak.

Some want the dead to become part of them, and others want their bodies to become part of the world that they had loved.

Some atheists believe that death is the end, so it doesn't matter how they died.

Some Chinese emperors (and south American kings) believed that one could "take it with you." Their jewels and executed servants were often buried with the corpses to serve them in the afterlife. Upon hearing this, some Chinese servants said "very dangerous."

God had allowed Romans to crucify hoards of people, prominently displayed on all of the roads leading to Rome. Apparently, God had no problem with their actions, and only sought to make his son one of the victims. Apparently dying in such a way is consistent with God's wishes.

Some believe that the dead come back as ghosts. Edgar Allen Poe wrote about his beloved Lenore coming back as a raven. "What that gaunt, ungainly, ghastly, and ominous bird of yore meant in croaking "nevermore."

I find it simply fascinating that you can type out 905 words and have not one of them address the questions in the OP.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Stuffed and mounted. And invitations to remake Weekend at Bernie's

6882f931d1d7c3fecea560776b696296.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'd rather be cremated. It's cheaper to keep up and when my aunt died no one pitched in to help my mother with my aunt (her sister's) cremation. She did everything herself. I don't want that to happen if I die before her. I'd like to save up for it just in case.