• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burial or Cremation or ___?

Burial or Cremation or ___ ?

• Burial

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Cremation

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
[I don't know how to set up a poll (I'm technologically challenged), so if a moderator could do that for me, I'd appreciate that]

Anyhow, what's your choice and why?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Won't make much never mind to the dead person.

My old friend, a gun person, has a 37 mm field cannon and says when he dies
he wants cremated and his ashes shot out of the cannon over a woods.
We all agreed to do so if we out live him.
Yes they are legal if proper paper work is done and one waits the 6 months to
a year for background checks and agrees to unannounced inspection by the
BATF&E.
I simply can't afford to feed a machine gun.
If I could I would.
I guess I'll content myself with my pistols and semi-auto modern sporting rifles.
M.S.R. = un-correct term "assault rifle".
Why do I have these things?
Because I WANT them, because I can.
I hunt game with them you see.
Sadly the little shooting I do any longer is at paper targets.
And not much of that.
I guess I could sell 'em and take up golf. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

This world has become civilized.
Jihad Report
Jul 23, 2016 -
Jul 29, 2016

Attacks48
Killed409
Injured700
Suicide Blasts9
Countries13
^^^^ civilized don'cha'know?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
[I don't know how to set up a poll (I'm technologically challenged), so if a moderator could do that for me, I'd appreciate that]

I'm in favour of cremation as long as my ashes can be used to grow a tree. It will be a way of giving a small something back to Mother Earth after I've taken so much.

So yeah, I put other because I want cremation and burial! :D

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife & I chose about 30 years ago to be cremated, but she wants me to do it now.:(

We chose this because we simply do not want to be occupying much space, plus it's much cheaper. Because there's a family tradition with both of our families to visit grave-sites of fallen family members, we are going to be placed in a small niche at a nearby cemetery where my in-laws are buried, which is not far from where my parents and grandparents are buried.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Neither. Gonna try and take my body with me. :)

(Narrator) It's just a jump to the left.
(Guests) And then a step to the right.
(Narrator) With your hand on your hips....

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Cremation, it's the Hindu way. I think it's only children and self-realized persons and saints that are buried. Others are cremated.

As a side note, I would like my ashes brought or sent to India to be placed in a river. Ideally I'd move to Varanasi on the banks of the Ganges and hope to die there. It is said that grants instant moksa, and I want off this moebius strip. :p

My niece said she would certainly be willing to take my ashes to India. She said while she's there she'd spend some time touring. I said, "now wait, you're waiting for me to die so you can take my ashes to India and get a vacation there?" She said "yeah, pretty much". o_O :D

Neither. Gonna try and take my body with me. :)

(Narrator) It's just a jump to the left.
(Guests) And then a step to the right.
(Narrator) With your hand on your hips....
That is how they laugh about how even hell is. That it encompasses all of their very own curses. Vanity of vanities.

What are rights? They are connected to the Ten Commandments. Just two stones. Both held back the rising waters.

One is the Bill of Rights is contingent on the Ten Commandments; the other is the Bill of Goods only works for the hoods.

Not for those carrying Bibles. Not any thesis. The pestilences. The evils. That matter more are black lives? The bee hives.

Pitch black darkness. From their very own hell fires. They may think that this could point to desires. What are degrees?

Orbit

I'm a planet

I just have an irrational dislike of being burned, so burial for me. Being burned just sounds so awful. Decomposing seems more natural.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Cremation, it's the Hindu way. I think it's only children and self-realized persons and saints that are buried. Others are cremated."

I've seen that on t-v documentaries.
Bodies on funeral barges.
Half burned bodies that pollute rivers and feed the catfish.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My wife & I chose about 30 years ago to be cremated, but she wants me to do it now.:(
Gotta admit, I burst out laughing at this. Too funny... ...unless, of course, she was serious. Ouch.

We chose this because we simply do not want to be occupying much space, plus it's much cheaper. Because there's a family tradition with both of our families to visit grave-sites of fallen family members, we are going to be placed in a small niche at a nearby cemetery where my in-laws are buried, which is not far from where my parents and grandparents are buried.
Agree. All kidding aside. Me dad's ashes are sprinkled in a large hexagonal raised bed in the front area of the property and we're going to toss mom's into the mix so they can be together again. (Just waiting for big sis to come up from Washington State for the festivities.)

David1967

Premium Member
Cremation. Its less expensive. Sanitary. The funeral tends to be less sad when there is not a corpse on display. Besides the fact that I briefly worked at a funeral home after high school, and I tell you , What they do to a body to prepare it for viewing is basically taxidermy
and borderline desecration. No thank you.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Burial at sea seems easy and inexpensive, and I do not like either cremation or embalmed burial. The cremation leaves you with ashes and a jar, and there is no respectful way to get rid of the jar. An embalming is weird as the body and the coffin don't rot like they should. They should rot and then be gone.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Gotta admit, I burst out laughing at this. Too funny... ...unless, of course, she was serious. Ouch.

My friend metis is sometimes slow on the uptake. His wife has been trying for 30 years for him to do it "now."

Two movies you should not let your beneficiaries ever watch - Dial M for Murder and Double Indemnity.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, a standard burial here involves embalming and a lot of formaldehyde, not to mention an often non-biodegradable coffin -- all very expensive and environmentally toxic.

A green funeral, sans chemicals or metal box, is cheaper and less environmentally hazardous, but still, if someone doesn't keep up the rent on the cemetery plot your remains will be ousted.

Cremation is neat, clean and inexpensive, but the oven does use a lot of natural gas and discharges hydrocarbons, CO2 and particulates into the atmosphere.
Not so green.

If I had my druthers, I'd opt for a sky burial, like the Zoroastrians and some Himalayan peoples use.
Lay my body on a mountaintop or open area, where the vultures can strip the flesh and the bones can provide calcium for smaller animals.
It's Nature's way.

Last edited: