• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burdened by my genius

Ostronomos

You all have failed to grasp the subtleties of my humor.

Although there was no shortage of hubris to my claims about my genius.

I persistently seek every opportunity to demonstrate my intelligence in social situations. This is my natural disposition. I seek validation on a daily basis. I believe it provides optimal benefit to society and inspires my confidence in myself.

I see others as a means to an end.

Purpose defines my existence. I seek every opportunity to shine brightly. Such is the ideal of genius.

-Nicholas Hosein, the great genius of Nostradamus prophecy.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I persistently seek every opportunity to demonstrate my intelligence in social situations. This is my natural disposition. I seek validation on a daily basis. I believe it provides optimal benefit to society and inspires my confidence in myself.

Purpose defines my existence. I seek every opportunity to shine brightly. Such is the ideal of genius.

I admit that this is a flaw I greatly had and somewhat still do have. I think enforcing a sense of humor and taking oneself less seriously is the best way to go. Humbling oneself. Nobody likes a know-it-all.

MikeF

Premium Member

Is genius a title that can be self-applied, or is it only really valid when it is assigned by others?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Is genius a title that can be self-applied, or is it only really valid when it is assigned by others?
Genius is kind of like "fool", so it could be self applied or applied by others, but whether it's useful or not is another matter.

MikeF

Premium Member
Genius is kind of like "fool", so it could be self applied or applied by others, but whether it's useful or not is another matter.

Why would a true genius see the need to apply such a title to themselves? I would think a genius need only let their body of work and achievements speak for them.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I persistently seek every opportunity to demonstrate my intelligence in social situations. This is my natural disposition. I seek validation on a daily basis
This behavior is not indicative of someone who is comfortable and confident in whatever context is discussed.

This is, at a word, unhealthy. It will also contribute to social deficits.

Based on what you've said, I recommend considering, if you do not already do so, some mental health counseling.

syo

:rolleyes:

Really now?o_O

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Genius only has value in demonstration, not designation.

(Oh my God! That's genius!!)

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Genius only has value in demonstration, not designation.

(Oh my God! That's genius!!)

In my opinion, genius has no value either way.

What's important is that we focus on making the best choices we can with what we're given. Focusing on measuring the amount that we have to work with or that we give relative to others is, in my opinion, a fool's errand. I don't think any good can come from it.