• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bullying in school results in stabbing

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
news_logo.gif

Girl, 15, hurt in school stabbing
A 15-year-old girl has been stabbed in the eye, head, back and chest by another teenager at a Surrey school.

Natashia Jackman, 15, is believed to have been attacked with scissors while she stood in the dinner queue at Collingwood College, Camberley.

She is in hospital where she is due to have minor surgery on her eyelid.

Surrey Police said three teenage girls - two 14-year-olds and a 15-year-old - had been arrested and were being questioned about the incident.

Anti-bullying policy

It is understood Natashia was waiting in the school canteen when a group of pupils started taunting her about her long hair.

Her father, Humperdinck Jackman, described the moment he saw his daughter in hospital after the attack on Thursday. He said: "She was covered in blood. Her hair was caked.

"She has an injury to her left eye."

A statement from Frimley Park Hospital said doctors hoped she would be allowed to go home on Friday.

Mr Jackman said it was not the first time Natashia had been bullied, and there had been two other incidents where she had also been harmed.

However, the college said the attack was an isolated incident.

Head teacher Jerry Oddie described it as "shocking and appalling" but said the college had a very clear well-established anti-bullying policy which was enforced rigorously.

Pair of scissors

"We encourage parents and students to approach us to let us know if there are problems, and where we find problems we deal with them resolutely," he said.

He said the college had no prior knowledge of any problem between Natashia and the group of girls who were alleged to have been involved in the assault.

However, he added: "Natashia has had relationship problems in the time that she has been here with us.

"We have worked closely with her parents and have had good co-operation from the family in addressing some of those issues, but this particular incident has come as a complete shock to us."

Mr Jackman said the gang had warned his daughter: "We are going to give you a haircut or we are going to set your hair on fire."

When she stood up to the fellow pupils she was stabbed with what appeared to be a pair of scissors, Mr Jackman said.

He added: "According to Natashia there was only one teacher in the area and they were trying to deal with a fight elsewhere in the cafeteria."

Mr Oddie said the college would be holding a special assembly for pupils in years 10 and 11, and counselling would be offered.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4426594.stm

Published: 2005/11/11 11:56:13 GMT

© BBC MMV

AtheistAJ

UK needs to resort to drastic laws like expelling students upon abuse. I've been hearing these stories for a long time, a mandatory nation-wide anti-bullying campaign and law must be soon established in that country as well as in other countries with that problem.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
One word, chavs. One solution, castrate or neuter the lot of them, they can't be allowed to reproduce.

ps. Humperdink???

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I hate bullies. Whether cyber, political, mental or physical they try to push people around for their own enjoyment and it's just WORNG!When they get crossed they can get really mean. While I think castration should be reserved only for sex offenders, I do think that bullies should be made an example of. They might be incorrigible, but they might be able to ward others off of their path of self destruction!

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Hi michel, this saddens me very much, in fact is sickens me more than anything..what is wrong with these kids...You know last night, my son Daniel was in the changing rooms after football [ soccer ] and one of the boys intentionally kicked the ball off his face then kicked it off his side, they were all laughing and shouting lets kick the ball off Daniel, I know this is nothing compared to this poor poor girl, but it is just nasty that these kids can do that..You know what makes me really mad is that if the kids that are getting picked on retaliate, they are the ones that land themselves in trouble too..its so unfair..Oh I am so angry with this news.....All this has got to be stopped "PERIOD" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
glasgowchick said:
Hi michel, this saddens me very much, in fact is sickens me more than anything..what is wrong with these kids...You know last night, my son Daniel was in the changing rooms after football [ soccer ] and one of the boys intentionally kicked the ball off his face then kicked it off his side, they were all laughing and shouting lets kick the ball off Daniel, I know this is nothing compared to this poor poor girl, but it is just nasty that these kids can do that..You know what makes me really mad is that if the kids that are getting picked on retaliate, they are the ones that land themselves in trouble too..its so unfair..Oh I am so angry with this news.....All this has got to be stopped "PERIOD" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Jackie,

My heart goes out to your son; I know about bullying.

I was fiercely bullied at school (I even remembered this even from the news item, and told my wife this memory this morning............)

At boarding school, after supper in the evening, we had to go to our classrooms, and sit, (supervised by a prefect), for something like 1 hour (maybe longer ?), to do our homework. The prefects were as bad as any others.

They turned a blind eye to my having ink flicked at me throughout the homework times, and one guy used to do his best to sit at a desk behind me ; his greatest source of amusement was to use the pointed end of a geometry compass to poke me in the back, throughout the period.

The prefect would look up whenever I yelped (he knew jolly well what was going on), but as we were to be silent during homework, I used to rake up frequent punishments.
The punishment was being Slippered (ie being smacked as hard as possible on the backside with a gym shoe); if the 'offence' was too frequent, it was 'six of the best' ( a caning, performed by a teacher, with a slim and flexible cane). Once, when I was caned by one particuliarly nasty teacher, The cane tore through the material of my corduroy shorts, my underpants, and left marks on my backside which were still there two weeks after.

Go into the school, and make a fuss; do anything that you can. Damage by being bullied can be a lifelong sentence. Threaten the schoolmaster with the possibility of your taking out a private prosecution against the bullies' parents (as the guardians) - that is, unless the police are prepared to file charges for criminal assault and battery. Being hit by a foot ball certainly comes under the title of assault and battery; believe me, I know what I am talking about.:(

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Hi Michel, you poor thing, how awful for you to have to go through all of that..I just want to scream at these guys...You know fms can be the result of a trauma, did you know that ? ...It sounds like you are still deeply effected by all of this and rightly so..I wish I could even begin to try and understand the need to hurt or poke fun at innoccent people but I can't, there is nothing in my books that could even come close to excuse this type of behaviour away, it is sickening..I dont think the schools here are doing enough to stop this behavior, they can't be, it's still going on...They should all be put down, or all taken out the way and put into the one school so they can fight it out to see who is the biggest bully...I am so sorry this happened to you michel, hugs to you ...