• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

buddhist view of souls.

Skywalker

as far as i know, no buddhist sect believes in one creator god, but i could be wrong.

But I do know many buddhist sects believe in gods and demons, who are in a cycle of reincarnation too. But if there is no creator God, where do buddhists believe their souls come from? In Abrahamic religions, an infinite God created the souls of everything. Since Buddhists dont believe in that, where do they believe those souls (not just those souls-Im also talking about the souls of animals and humans) originate from?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
as far as i know, no buddhist sect believes in one creator god, but i could be wrong.

But I do know many buddhist sects believe in gods and demons, who are in a cycle of reincarnation too. But if there is no creator God, where do buddhists believe their souls come from? In Abrahamic religions, an infinite God created the souls of everything. Since Buddhists dont believe in that, where do they believe those souls (not just those souls-Im also talking about the souls of animals and humans) originate from?
Speculation regarding origins is not relevant to Buddhism, as it a sign that you are out of your mind. Acintita Sutta:
"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas[1] is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...[2]

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."​

Nicholas

Bodhicitta

The Buddha's teachings say no individual soul as well as no God. Creatures come about from causes and conditions - desire for birth, and ignorance of our real nature being the main factors.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Buddha's teachings say no individual soul as well as no God. Creatures come about from causes and conditions - desire for birth, and ignorance of our real nature being the main factors.
I admire your scholarship, but how come there are main reasons and ordinary reasons?

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
I admire your scholarship, but how come there are main reasons and ordinary reasons?

Because these two root causes of desire and ignorance are what Buddha emphasized as leading to spin offs of many other restrictive conditions. Read his first sutta, the Dharmawheel sutta (dhammachakkasutta).

von bek

Things come about through causes and conditions. When the underlying causes disappear, the things in question pass out of experience.

Vishvavajra

You're correct that the Buddhist understanding of the cosmos allows for no creator god. That's consistent across all sects.

As for souls, Buddhist thought holds that there is no identifiable part of a person that constitutes an eternal, essential self. That means no soul in the conventional sense. People do have certain natures and habitual tendencies that set them apart from one another, and those are understood to result from the unique set of causes and conditions that has given rise to each person. However, those characteristics and tendencies are impermanent, even if some of them can be analyzed as manifesting across multiple lifetimes (i.e. belonging in a sense to several different people). At no point does Buddhism posit anything that would require a supernatural source such as a creator god. There is nothing posited to exist beyond the mind-body complex that arises from natural causes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You're correct that the Buddhist understanding of the cosmos allows for no creator god. That's consistent across all sects.

As for souls, Buddhist thought holds that there is no identifiable part of a person that constitutes an eternal, essential self. That means no soul in the conventional sense. People do have certain natures and habitual tendencies that set them apart from one another, and those are understood to result from the unique set of causes and conditions that has given rise to each person. However, those characteristics and tendencies are impermanent, even if some of them can be analyzed as manifesting across multiple lifetimes (i.e. belonging in a sense to several different people). At no point does Buddhism posit anything that would require a supernatural source such as a creator god. There is nothing posited to exist beyond the mind-body complex that arises from natural causes.

All a person needs to do is to simply notice.
The nature by which Buddhism provides a clear and direct manner to blow away the dust of embellishment and fabrication which exacerbates over time..quickly... before such flits away, same as our very thoughts.....