• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhist and Catholic, priests and theologians practice ‘double belonging’

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Of course, as the article points out, this is controversial but personally it seems just right to me. Buddhism is particularly suited for this. As the article points out, it would be much harder for two religions with very detailed theologies that differ significantly on any number of points.

‘Religions need each other to understand themselves,’ said one Buddhist-Catholic practitioner.

In a dimly lit Roman Catholic church in Manhattan, a dozen or so congregants sit as the Rev. Michael Holleran leads them in contemplative prayer. There is some singing, and some prayers said aloud throughout the hour-and-a-half-long worship service. Every so often Holleran rings a bell three times, meant to awaken worshippers from “sleep and into a consciousness of God’s presence.”

But the core of the session is the repetition of a word of each participant’s own choosing — many choose “peace,” “love” or “truth.” If their mind wanders, they are instructed to return to the word.

This form of prayer is often compared to meditation, due to the silent repetition and the focus required. Though contemplative prayer has ancient roots in Christianity, Holleran takes inspiration from the longer tradition of Buddhism — fittingly, since in addition to being a Catholic priest, Holleran is a Buddhist sensei.

Holleran, the pastor of the Church of Notre Dame in Morningside Heights, practices “double belonging,” a term coined by Paul Knitter in his 2009 book “Without Buddha, I Could Not Be a Christian.” Knitter, a former Catholic priest and a major influence on many Catholics who subscribe to Buddhist ideology, insists the two faiths are not in conflict.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
One of my closest friends is extremely Catholic with a Buddhist-type view that purgatory is reincarnation.

Last time I visited my closest Pentecostal church for service I had some extremely productive internal monologues about how I viewed God. "Religions need each other to understand themselves" is something I agree with completely. To know who you are you must know who you aren't first.

Stonetree

Model Member
Premium Member
One of my closest friends is extremely Catholic with a Buddhist-type view that purgatory is reincarnation.

Last time I visited my closest Pentecostal church for service I had some extremely productive internal monologues about how I viewed God. "Religions need each other to understand themselves" is something I agree with completely. To know who you are you must know who you aren't first.
Catholics have friends.......?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
‘Religions need each other to understand themselves,’ said one Buddhist-Catholic practitioner
Sai Baba said something similar
It's not enough if you are able to condone other religions. You should be able to encourage the other in his own Religion (quite the opposite of evangelizing, so this post won't get many Christian or Muslim frubals, probably not even Buddhist ones:D)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Of course, as the article points out, this is controversial but personally it seems just right to me. Buddhism is particularly suited for this. As the article points out, it would be much harder for two religions with very detailed theologies that differ significantly on any number of points.

‘Religions need each other to understand themselves,’ said one Buddhist-Catholic practitioner.

In a dimly lit Roman Catholic church in Manhattan, a dozen or so congregants sit as the Rev. Michael Holleran leads them in contemplative prayer. There is some singing, and some prayers said aloud throughout the hour-and-a-half-long worship service. Every so often Holleran rings a bell three times, meant to awaken worshippers from “sleep and into a consciousness of God’s presence.”

But the core of the session is the repetition of a word of each participant’s own choosing — many choose “peace,” “love” or “truth.” If their mind wanders, they are instructed to return to the word.

This form of prayer is often compared to meditation, due to the silent repetition and the focus required. Though contemplative prayer has ancient roots in Christianity, Holleran takes inspiration from the longer tradition of Buddhism — fittingly, since in addition to being a Catholic priest, Holleran is a Buddhist sensei.

Holleran, the pastor of the Church of Notre Dame in Morningside Heights, practices “double belonging,” a term coined by Paul Knitter in his 2009 book “Without Buddha, I Could Not Be a Christian.” Knitter, a former Catholic priest and a major influence on many Catholics who subscribe to Buddhist ideology, insists the two faiths are not in conflict.
Well you have 2 religions, for which one is exclusive and the other ineffective.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Another quote from the article:
“It was as if I was wearing Buddhist glasses while reading Christian texts,”​

I've used this same analogy for quite a while (although I usually use the word lens instead of glasses.)

Studying Buddhism helped me to understand Christianity better, by focusing on the three poisons and separating the cultural stuff from the individual psychological stuff. Studying Luciferianism helped me to understand Buddhist practices better, and how to use the tools/practices more effectively.

pearl

Similar to the practice of 'centering prayer' which has an Eastern flavor. Anthony de' Mello was a Catholic Jesuit priest, a retreat master, offering many exercises to bring one to and remain in the present.
The 12 Best Quotes of Anthony de Mello (exploringyourmind.com)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Catholic monk Thomas Merton gave credit to Buddhist monks that helped him become a better Catholic through their teachings.

I have no problem with that.