• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism Sermon of the Seven Suns and its identical prophecy in Bible

InvestigateTruth

Buddhism Eschatology describes appearance of Seven Suns, which will cause certain earthly waters to dry up, until even oceans are dried by the Sun heat.
Buddhist eschatology - Wikipedia

Very interesting is also, the Quran gives an identical prophecy of the Last Day:

"And when the seas shall boil" Quran 81:6

So, how do you think, both Buddhism and Quran, has an identical expression in their Eschatology?!

Now, interestingly, the Bible eschatology uses same symbols:

The Parallel of the drying up waters in Buddhism, is seen in Bible in the following verse, which describe End Time events:

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more." Revelation 21:1

The Biblical prediction of appearance of Sun on the earth, is in the following verse:

"The light of the moon will be as bright as the sun, and the light of the sun will be seven times brighter--like the light of seven days--on the day that the LORD binds up the brokenness of His people and heals the wounds He inflicted." Isaiah 30:26
"There will be no more night in the city, and they will have no need for the light of a lamp or of the sun. For the Lord God will shine on them, and they will reign forever and ever." Revelation 22:5

Interestingly in the Bible, the 'Sun' is a symbol of divinity, which also is the same in Buddhism according to some recorded traditions of Buddha, who resembled Himself to the Sun.

In Baha'i Scriptures, the Sea in this case represent Sin and Unrighteousness, and Sun is a symbol of Divine Guidance. If we go by this interpretation, it seems to me that Buddhism Eschatology predicts, the appearance of divine guidance in seven stages, which causes the Sin and Unrighteousness to disappear, expressed as Seven Suns, dry the Waters. We can see its equivalent in the Bible.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Buddhism Eschatology describes appearance of Seven Suns, which will cause certain earthly waters to dry up, until even oceans are dried.

The Parallel of the drying up waters in Buddhism, is seen in Bible in the following verse, which describe End Time events:

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more." Revelation 21:1

The Biblical prediction of appearance of Sun on the earth, is in the following verse:

"The light of the moon will be as bright as the sun, and the light of the sun will be seven times brighter--like the light of seven days--on the day that the LORD binds up the brokenness of His people and heals the wounds He inflicted." Isaiah 30:26
"There will be no more night in the city, and they will have no need for the light of a lamp or of the sun. For the Lord God will shine on them, and they will reign forever and ever." Revelation 22:5

Interestingly in the Bible, the 'Sun' is a symbol of divinity, which also is the same in Buddhism according to some recorded traditions of Buddha, who resembled Himself to the Sun.

In Baha'i Scriptures, the Sea in this case represent Sin and Unrighteousness, and Sun is a symbol of Divine Guidance. If we go by this interpretation, it seems to me that Buddhism Eschatology predicts, the appearance of divine guidance in seven stages, which causes the Sin and Unrighteousness to disappear, expressed as Seven Suns, dry the Waters. We can see its equivalent in the Bible.
You certainly have a unique perspective on Buddhism.

InvestigateTruth

You certainly have a unique perspective on Buddhism.
Sure. I don't believe in literal interpretation of Eschatology. Now, to back up this claim, I quote from Buddhism the following regarding the Prophecy of seven Suns:

"Again after a vast period of time a sixth sun will appear, and it will bake the Earth even as a pot is baked by a potter. All the mountains will reek and send up clouds of smoke. After another great interval a seventh sun will appear and the Earth will blaze with fire until it becomes one mass of flame. The mountains will be consumed, a spark will be carried on the wind and go to the worlds of God....Thus, monks, all things will burn, perish and exist no more except those who have seen the path.

— Aňguttara-Nikăya, 7.66[2]

Consider in this quote, if, Buddha was literally speaking of burning and perishing, how would His statement make any sense: 'Thus, monks, all things will burn, perish and exist no more except those who have seen the path'

He says except those who has seen the path no one else, will be save from this burning! How would seeing a path can save a person from literal burning of the Sun!
It won't! Unless, these Suns are not literal Suns, but are divine guidance, and whoever does not recognize Them to see and be guided to follow the True path, will not be saved from Sin, and will Perish spiritually.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sure. I don't believe in literal interpretation of Eschatology. Now, to back up this claim, I quote from Buddhism the following regarding the Prophecy of seven Suns:

"Again after a vast period of time a sixth sun will appear, and it will bake the Earth even as a pot is baked by a potter. All the mountains will reek and send up clouds of smoke. After another great interval a seventh sun will appear and the Earth will blaze with fire until it becomes one mass of flame. The mountains will be consumed, a spark will be carried on the wind and go to the worlds of God....Thus, monks, all things will burn, perish and exist no more except those who have seen the path.

— Aňguttara-Nikăya, 7.66[2]

Consider in this quote, if, Buddha was literally speaking of burning and perishing, how would His statement make any sense: 'Thus, monks, all things will burn, perish and exist no more except those who have seen the path'

He says except those who has seen the path no one else, will be save from this burning! How would seeing a path can save a person from literal burning of the Sun!
It won't! Unless, these Suns are not literal Suns, but are divine guidance, and whoever does not recognize Them to see and be guided to follow the True path, will not be saved from Sin, and will Perish spiritually.
Buddha is here talking about those who have understood the dhamma and become enlighten.

InvestigateTruth

Buddha is here talking about those who have understood the dhamma and become enlighten.
Yes, although, the eschatology is also related to Manifestation of a new Buddha, at a time when the teachings of the 4th Buddha is disappeared. At this time, the new Buddha appears, which His appearance may be likened to appearance of the Sun of enlightening. Now, because when He appears when the teachings of the Previous Buddha are disappeared, people would be in a state of confusion and transgression. They cannot liberate themselves unless they see the path, which is the renewal of the dharma by the new Buddha.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, although, the eschatology is also related to Manifestation of a new Buddha, at a time when the teachings of the 4th Buddha is disappeared. At this time, the new Buddha appears, which His appearance may be likened to appearance of the Sun of enlightening. Now, because when He appears when the teachings of the Previous Buddha are disappeared, people would be in a state of confusion and transgression. They cannot liberate themselves unless they see the path, which is the renewal of the dharma by the new Buddha.
If i did read correctly it was 4500 years after Buddha Sakyamuni that the new buddha will arise? now it is 2600 year since Sakyamuni, so even the word about Maitreya is true it is not yet to happen :)

InvestigateTruth

If i did read correctly it was 4500 years after Buddha Sakyamuni that the new buddha will arise? now it is 2600 year since Sakyamuni, so even the word about Maitreya is true it is not yet to happen :)
If you have the quote about 4500 years, please quote to analyze it together.
But I have a pdf of the "The Sutra That Expounds the Descent of Maitreya Buddha" handy, and I found a quote from Buddha, which I think is a good point to start. I bold some parts of it:

"O Honorable One! According to what is written in the various sutras, Maitreya will descend to the world and become Buddha. Respectfully,
I ask that I may hear in detail of the merits, the miraculous powers, and the land of glory of Maitreya. What manner of giving (dāna), precepts
(śīla), and wisdom (prajñā) will enable sentient beings to meet Maitreya?

Whereupon the Buddha declared to Śāriputra:
I shall now explain this matter in detail for your sake. Listen well, O Śāriputra! The level of the four oceans will gradually fall by three thou-sand yojanas. At that time Jambūdvīpa, measuring ten thousand yojanas in length and eight thousand in width, will be as flat as a mirror and covered in beautiful flowers and soft grasses. A multitudinous variety of trees, flowers, and fruits will grow in profusion and all the trees will be
thirty leagues high. Cities and towns will be followed by more cities and towns with only the distance of a fowl’s flight between them. Human
beings will live to be eighty-four thousand years old
and will be endowed with wisdom, dignity, and physical power. Life will be free from danger
and full of joy. Only three afflictions will remain—the necessity of relieving one’s bowels, of eating and drinking, and of getting old. Women will
not marry until they are five hundred years old
."

So, what would you say about the bold parts? According to this quote Buddha said, at the time of appearance of the future Buddha, people live 84000 years, and women get married after 500!!.
Do you think it is just fine to take those statements as facts? Do they match with logic and science?

I do not think so. When we look at the teachings and saying of Buddha as a whole, we see a great wisdom and knowledge from Him. But in this quote here, we see something illogical. So, either these statements are not His, or they are, but He is speaking figuratively, not literally! No other option i can think of. Now, when it comes to 4500 years, we also need analyze it carefully. We need to see if we can be certain Buddha said that or not. Even if He did say that, was He speaking literally 4500 years after Himself?

For example, in Scriptures it is written the hight of future Buddha will be very very long, if I remember correctly 80 feet or so! Now, should we wait until such a person to come? And reject anyone on this basis that He is not that tall?

And in the same Sutta, Buddha continues, describing the Promised One:

"He will be one thousand feet tall; his chest
[will be] thirty fathoms wide, and his head twelve fathoms and four feet long. His body will be flawless and incomparably perfectly arranged.
Possessing the thirty-two major marks and the eighty minor marks, he will resemble a golden statue. His physical eyes can see as far as ten
yojanas. A light will emanate from him for a distance of a hundred yojanas. The light of the sun, moon, fire, or jewels cannot be seen, only
this transcendent buddha light will shine."

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Thanks,

From the link you provided:

Origins of Maitreya
Maitreya makes his first appearance in Buddhist scriptures in the Cakkavatti Sutta of the Pali Tipitika (Digha Nikaya 26). In this sutta, the Buddha spoke of a future time in which the dharma is entirely forgotten. Eventually, "Another Buddha--Metteyya (Maitreya)--will gain Awakening, his monastic Sangha numbering in the thousands," the Buddha said.

This is the only time the historical Buddha is recorded as mentioning Maitreya. From this simple comment arose one of the most important figures of Buddhist iconography.

In the early first millennium CE, Mahayana Buddhism developed Maitreya further, giving him a history and specific attributes. The Indian scholar Asanga (ca. 4th century CE), a co-founder of the Yogacara school of Buddhism, is particularly associated with Maitreya Teachings.

According to this, the future Buddha is described originally in Cakkavatti Sutta, which is not Mahayana source as I understand (correct me if I am wrong).
Then later, some Mahayana scholars, developed about the future Buddha, by their own ideas (based on their own interpretations).
So,if we were to investigate this subject, I would base it on the actual quotes of Buddha Himself, not the Scholars.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

If you have the quote about 4500 years, please quote to analyze it together.
But I have a pdf of the "The Sutra That Expounds the Descent of Maitreya Buddha" handy, and I found a quote from Buddha, which I think is a good point to start. I bold some parts of it:

Numbers have meaning in scripture, how and what to do with them is the issue. Numerology was very cleverly used. Numbers can have quite a complex verbal meaning and different words can have an identical numerical value, or tell a story in it numerical values.

4500 numerically totals 9. Thus there could be great significance in the number 9 and what that represents. Another idea is that 9 years may have a significance.

There are many things to consider, we know numbers are important, Look what man has done with the current use of numbers and letters and consider how many times numbers are presented in prophecies.

Looking at this link
Buddhist cosmology - Wikipedia
Numbers play a large part.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

ManSinha

Buddhism Eschatology describes appearance of Seven Suns, which will cause certain earthly waters to dry up, until even oceans are dried by the Sun heat.

Very interesting is also, the Quran gives an identical prophecy of the Last Day:

"And when the seas shall boil" Quran 81:6

So, how do you think, both Buddhism and Quran, has an identical expression in their Eschatology?!

At the rate we are going - I expect a significant portion of humanity to be living elsewhere - not on earth - that prophecy may mean something else if the tumultuous events described happen only onearth

That is the problem with prophecies - cannot predict the progress that occurs by time the time of the prophecy is nigh

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
At the rate we are going - I expect a significant portion of humanity to be living elsewhere - not on earth - that prophecy may mean something else if the tumultuous events described happen only earth

That is the problem with prophecies - cannot predict the progress that occurs by time the time of the prophecy is nigh

Prophecies work well after the fact, in hindsight. "Oh, I just knew that was going to happen."