• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism in America?

Master Vigil

Is Buddhism in America a weird form of narcissistic Buddhism that completely misses the point of what Buddha was trying to teach?

Pariah

Let go
I am not sure about Buddhism, but with any religion, I personally feel that culture is a much more powerful force than religion, which although the two comprise and complement each other, differ greatly from one geographic region to another.

Christianity is practiced much differently around the world around according to the culture of its place - Indian Christianity is much different than American Christianity. I have no doubt that there is a difference between American Buddhism and Eastern Buddhism but I cannot say if is a "weird narcissistic" form.

Master Vigil

Someone had said this to me a couple weeks ago. And it kept being stuck in my head. I thought, and I thought... and I just thought I'd see what you all thought about it.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I think that there is no such singular thing as "Buddhism in America". There are hundreds of very different things that can all come in under that heading. My sangha/temple is very different from even another Nichiren temple. It is absolutely nothing like a Tibetan or Therevadan sangha/temple.

The person who made that comment obviously experienced one of these hundreds or thousands of possibilities, and found it wierd and narcissistic. From that one experience, all Buddhism in America is condemned. That's equivalent to going to a Pentecostal snake-handling service and then claiming that all Christianity in America is reptile-based.

Master Vigil

I think that there is no such singular thing as "Buddhism in America". There are hundreds of very different things that can all come in under that heading. My sangha/temple is very different from even another Nichiren temple. It is absolutely nothing like a Tibetan or Therevadan sangha/temple.

The person who made that comment obviously experienced one of these hundreds or thousands of possibilities, and found it wierd and narcissistic. From that one experience, all Buddhism in America is condemned. That's equivalent to going to a Pentecostal snake-handling service and then claiming that all Christianity in America is reptile-based.
Agreed!

Ozzie

Is Buddhism in America a weird form of narcissistic Buddhism that completely misses the point of what Buddha was trying to teach?
Buddha would have loved ice-cream and admitted fully to its narcissistic qualities. Nothing you can experience misses the point of what the Buddha was trying to teach, even in America.

syoonsh

Think about this way, christianity in Asia is lot more different then christianity
in America. Thus, buddhism in America may be little differ then the buddhism in Asia.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Some of what passes for Buddhism in America, yes. Certainly not all of it.

It is stripped of all of its religious significance, and packaged as a do-it-yourself-self-help kind of thing. If you meditate, you will feel more relaxed, more able to enjoy life, more successful. And the point is to sell books and statues and such.

I cringe, even tho it demonstrates attachment, when I see Buddhas for sale in the "home decor" section of Target. Just this past Sunday, my minister remarked that while he was in a Berkeley health food store he heard something that he never thought he would hear, a woman walking up to a clerk and asking, "Pardon me, but do you have any little Buddhas?" And the clerk said yes!! Right next to the yoga mats, etc.

There is this "Buddhist" group in SoCal that teaches you that if you chant a certain mantra, you'll get things like sports cars and money... :faint:

koan

Lilithu, I would't worry about "Buddhas for sale". The first statue of the Buddha didn't appear till way after his death. In fact, he never wanted any statues and they ( the monks and nuns) originaly used engravings of his feet (follow in the Buddhas footsteps) as a representation. Aslo when looking at these icons, it's good to remember, that its just your mind that either objects or accepts these "Buddhas for sale".

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
V V -

Was Master Vigil making a claim, or asking a question? Looks like a question to me................

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Some of what passes for Buddhism in America, yes. Certainly not all of it.

It is stripped of all of its religious significance, and packaged as a do-it-yourself-self-help kind of thing. If you meditate, you will feel more relaxed, more able to enjoy life, more successful. And the point is to sell books and statues and such.

I cringe, even tho it demonstrates attachment, when I see Buddhas for sale in the "home decor" section of Target. Just this past Sunday, my minister remarked that while he was in a Berkeley health food store he heard something that he never thought he would hear, a woman walking up to a clerk and asking, "Pardon me, but do you have any little Buddhas?" And the clerk said yes!! Right next to the yoga mats, etc.

There is this "Buddhist" group in SoCal that teaches you that if you chant a certain mantra, you'll get things like sports cars and money... :faint:

I had started a thread over a year ago: http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...552-buddha-has-become-hip-marketing-tool.html

And I opened the door for anyone who wanted to question the integrity and the authenticity of how Buddhism is studied here in the States - AND how Buddhism is marketed. Personally, I think it's all right and nothing to worry about. It's on the same level as anyone who prefers Christian decor/jewelry.

It's much different shopping for decor than it is shopping for sacred imagery/altar items like stupas and thangkas for the walls.

The SoCal group that you mention is one of the groups that I believe are on the same level as "The Secret" propaganda IMHO. ;)

Peace,
Mystic

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

Wouldn't an institutionalized religion always be narcissistic and completely miss-the-point of what Buddha was trying to teach (regardless of where it is located)?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
doppelgänger;966123 said:
Wouldn't an institutionalized religion always be narcissistic and completely miss-the-point of what Buddha was trying to teach (regardless of where it is located)?
The Buddha must not have thought so, since he institutionalized his teachings before he left us. It was he who started the sang'ha as the way in which to practice Buddhism.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The Buddha must not have thought so, since he institutionalized his teachings before he left us. It was he who started the sang'ha as the way in which to practice Buddhism.

Hmmmm . . . . isn't that always the way it goes . . . :confused:

vandervalley

Was Master Vigil making a claim, or asking a question? Looks like a question to me................

yes I should rephrase my question:

Please provide evidence that formed the basis of the question regarding Buddhism in US being narcissistic and "out of touch" with the real Buddhism

Master Vigil

yes I should rephrase my question:

Please provide evidence that formed the basis of the question regarding Buddhism in US being narcissistic and "out of touch" with the real Buddhism
A Buddhist monk told me this and I had no idea if he was telling me the truth. So I asked everyone here to get more opinions. That's all.