• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddha worship

buadum

I find most people believe buddhists worship Buddha like a god, people of all faiths what do you think.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Could you please reword the above because the latter part of the sentence doesn't seem to fit what I think you're asking?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not most people, I think. Although I have noticed it does depend a lot on which culture we are talking about. Most Brazilians do assume that to be the case, to my deep chagrin.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I don't know the religion of my friend, but she does see Buddha as a god. I told her "you know, Bouddha is not a god, it is en enlightened master but He is not seen as God or worshipped by Buddhists."
She just answered "each time I prayed Buddha, I miraculously got out of terrible situations ! So for me, it's just Buddha that helped me, that's all. If it was another god then, next time I'll ask it to leave it's card !"

I don't see any harm in this however x")

Aum Namah Shivaya

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
"By oneself is evil done;
by oneself is one defiled.
By oneself is evil left undone;
by oneself is one made pure.
Purity and impurity depend on oneself;
no one can purify another."

Worship of the Buddha, as a Buddhist, would solve nothing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That definitely seems to be the case here, which is pretty much as common as the misunderstandings on other Buddhist principles like Karma, the afterlife, and mistaking Budai for Gautama.
I think it's just safe to say Buddhism, at least here, is a very misunderstood religion.

Harikrish

There is no deity in Buddhism and the Buddha was a normal human who sought enlightenment and the answers to human suffering. Buddha never claimed he was God and even though there are devotees who consider him a God, Buddhism does not. In fact Buddhism is seen as an atheistic secular esoteric teachings because it does not promote the concept of a deity and by definition would not be considered a religion.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Buadum ji

I find most people believe buddhists worship Buddha like a god, people of all faiths what do you think.

when an outsider sees a Buddhist enter the temple they see the Buddhist make their sautations and in most cases bow or make full out prostrations , this is an act of surrender and of respect , some Buddhists them selves will see this as a form of worship and some will see it only as an act of surrender to the Buddhas supreme wisdom .

however peoples from other faiths will see it according to their own understanding much dependant on how they understand and veiw worship .

but to me Buddha is worthy of not only my respect but also of worship and surrender .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
There is no deity in Buddhism and the Buddha was a normal human who sought enlightenment and the answers to human suffering. Buddha never claimed he was God and even though there are devotees who consider him a God, Buddhism does not. In fact Buddhism is seen as an atheistic secular esoteric teachings because it does not promote the concept of a deity and by definition would not be considered a religion.

you may speak for your self but not for others , but before making such statments I think we need to examine the conception of God or gods , as each religion holds their own conception

Isn't that better than the recitations of an illiterate prophet many consider to be a madman and had to be defended by his own recitations. Quran 68:1-2
So you are saying M
Isn't that better than the recitations of an illiterate prophet many consider to be a madman and had to be defended by his own recitations. Quran 68:1-2

So you are saying Mohammad was illiterate?