• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddha talked of purification of self

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
No founder of revealed religions vouched for blind faith.
Did Buddha favour blind faith? If, yes, please quote from him.
Without doubt, there is no experiment, therefore nothing but blind acceptance. Simple logic, really. The fact that you equate doubt with confusion is also telling.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Experiments are done to understand nature and to take benefit from it in everyday human needs of life; doubt is not essential.

atanu

Premium Member
If you do not doubt, you have no need to experiment, as you are certain things are as you believe them to be.

Gjallarhorn I do not know your position and thus allow me a question.

How is the intellect, which is said to be a product of chemical interactions (as per atheistic materialists) and of interaction of skandhas (as per understanding of some buddhists) can doubt wisely?

Do you see possibilty of real 'doubting-deciding' in a deterministic process?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Gjallarhorn I do not know your position and thus allow me a question.

How is the intellect, which is said to be a product of chemical interactions (as per atheistic materialists) and of interaction of skandhas (as per understanding of some buddhists) can doubt wisely?

...I don't see why not, but then again, I'm not sure I understand your question.

atanu

Premium Member
...I don't see why not, but then again, I'm not sure I understand your question.

Ha ha. I knew. THat is characteristic of post modern Buddhism. :D I repeat.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Ha ha. I knew. THat is characteristic of post modern Buddhism. :D I repeat.

Doubting? Yes. Deciding? No. I don't understand why you have coupled the two though. No one ever chooses to doubt. It's just something that sneaks in.

atanu

Premium Member
Doubting? Yes. Deciding? No. I don't understand why you have coupled the two though. No one ever chooses to doubt. It's just something that sneaks in.

It is good question and you point out a good thing: No one ever chooses to doubt.

How is doubting and its resolution possible in a deterministic system? Do you believe that doubts could sneak in without sentience. Do you believe that doubts could sneak in non-sentient?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It is good question and you point out a good thing: No one ever chooses to doubt.

How is doubting and its resolution possible in a deterministic system? Do you believe that doubts could sneak in without sentience. Do you believe that doubts could sneak in non-sentient?
I don't see why you assume a deterministic system lacks sentience.

atanu

Premium Member
I don't see why you assume a deterministic system lacks sentience.

In a deterministic situation, a product of the deterministic situation claiming "I know this. I know better than you all", is crazy. His claim is already determined and there is no chance of any understanding.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
In a deterministic situation, a product of the deterministic situation claiming "I know this. I know better than you all", is crazy. His claim is already determined and there is no chance of any understanding.
Why not? Surely a computer can find a true solution to a problem. So can humans. Determinism hinders nothing.

atanu

Premium Member
I am not arguing that I am a simulation, so how can you agree?

It is thus determined, my boy. It is not different from your assertions that also are pre-determined.

BTW, I just wanted to know whether you are speaking from a particulr Buddhistic perspective or whether you are airing your view?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It is thus determined, my boy. It is not different from your assertions that also are pre-determined.

BTW, I just wanted to know whether you are speaking from a particulr Buddhistic perspective or whether you are airing your view?
As far as I know, most Buddhist teachings reject determinism to some degree. Some more than others. It is not, however, my own view. It is a deduction based on modern science and philosophy. It is as much my own view as gravity is my own view.

atanu

Premium Member
As far as I know, most Buddhist teachings reject determinism to some degree. Some more than others. It is not, however, my own view. It is a deduction based on modern science and philosophy. It is as much my own view as gravity is my own view.

Yes. Karma concept indicates that Buddhist teaching is not deterministic.

My point was different. My point was that when some materialists, while holding the universe to be deterministic, still mouth Buddhism, they are ignorant of Buddhism. Further, Buddha does talk of self-awakening, contrary to opinions of many thervAdins and of many materialist Buddhists. I think we cannot by-pass those teachings and keep parroting 'anatta anatta'.

I do not follow what you mean in the red highlighted part.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Yes. Karma concept indicates that Buddhist teaching is not deterministic.
I don't see why. Will still exists within determinism. Karma is based in cause and effect, which is also deterministic.

My point was different. My point was that when some materialists, while holding the universe to be deterministic, still mouth Buddhism, they are ignorant of Buddhism. Further, Buddha does talk of self-awakening, contrary to opinions of many thervAdins and of many materialist Buddhists. I think we cannot by-pass those teachings and keep parroting 'anatta anatta'.
How does the self rid the self of the self? I also do not see why materialism has anything to do with it. Lack of free will exists no matter how many base substances you ascribe to.

I do not follow what you mean in the red highlighted part.
It means lack of free will isn't a view of mine. It is knowledge, just as mathematics is.