• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddha in the Qur'an?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I came across some Muslim scholars who suspect that the chinese philosopher Confucius was a prophet sent by Allah, however, they don't think that people who currently claim to follow Confucius are truly followers of his teachings. The same could be said about people who suspect that Buddha was a man following an Abrahamic religion.
Please give one's findings about Confucius and Buddha, kindly. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The same could be said about people who suspect that Buddha was a man following an Abrahamic religion.

I dont think that is a correct approach. The idea of all messengers should not be taken literally as "messengers" in the Abrahamic sense but can be understood or equated with spokesman/intermediary/manifestation/symbol of God. Similarly the idea of God can be equated with Reality/Absolute. (see Schuon's Understanding Islam for details).

God's message has been sent in various languages on earth depending on the type of people there and the language (or culture or understanding) they had. The Quran says, "We never sent a messenger save the language of his folk."-14:4.
"I dont think that is a correct approach."

I agree with one here, please.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That's correct. :)

Isn't it usually the case that some semblance of the teacher's teachings stay, even if distorted? If Buddha taught tawhid, then how come his followers made it claim there was no creator deity or salvation from them, in your opinion? Not debating, just curious. :)
Not to debate as one said. Jesus never believed in Trinity but believed in One-ness of G-d, as we understand from Quran, yet the Christian people believe in Trinity. It is something like that or a parallel to it. Peace

Regards

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
@Shia Islam
What did one find from the Imams about Buddha , please?

Regards

Hi

Let me first give few sentences about the sayings of the Imams.

As you may know, the Shiites believes that as God has sent many prophets to the Jews, He sent one prophet to the Muslims, who is Muhammad, and twelve Imams to succeed Muhammad.

In Summary, the Shiites believe that Muhammad was Killed and the Imams in General have, had had to spread their teachings almost secretly among their followers, as after the Assassination of Muhammad the “Hypocrites” were able to take control of the Muslim empire.

The first Imam was able to rule for few years before he himself was also assassinated.

Now what I want to say is that the Hadith, (sayings of the Imams) are huge in volume.

You will not find anybody who have read it all.

I spent years reading the Hadiths.

What is sure about their teachings is the following:

God sent tens of thousands of prophets, and those prophets in general have successors, like the Imams. They were sent to the different parts of the world.

Indeed the Quran itself is telling us the following:

“Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past).” Quran (35vs24)

So there were prophets who were sent even to China.

The Quran is clearly telling us that people tend to tamper with the teachings of their prophets after the death of these prophets.

Just contemplate on the following verse:

"Muhammad is no more than a messenger: many Were the messenger that passed away before him. If he died or were slain, will ye then Turn back on your heels? If any did turn back on his heels, not the least harm will he do to Allah; but Allah (on the other hand) will swiftly reward those who (serve Him) with gratitude. "Quran (3vs14).

So what is certain is that many non Abrahamic religions, are nothing more that new modified versions of ancient religions of the previous prophets that the “Allah” has sent (according to the Islamic teachings).

This explain that many of the teachings of these religions, such as Buddhism, when it comes to many areas like ethics and philosophy have some similarities to the teachings of the Abrahamic religions.

Indeed this led some researchers to first compare the teachings of these religions and Islam. And then make a comparison between Buddha for instance and some prophets mentioned in the Quran and the Hadith. Where some thought that Buddha may be nothing but Hazrat Khidr (a.s), a prophet described in the Quran.

Although the Hadith of the Shiites imams are huge in volume, in the famous hadiths you will not find clear mentioning of this.

This is what I know in this subject. Hopefully you will find it of benefit.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hi

Let me first give few sentences about the sayings of the Imams.

As you may know, the Shiites believes that as God has sent many prophets to the Jews, He sent one prophet to the Muslims, who is Muhammad, and twelve Imams to succeed Muhammad.

In Summary, the Shiites believe that Muhammad was Killed and the Imams in General have, had had to spread their teachings almost secretly among their followers, as after the Assassination of Muhammad the “Hypocrites” were able to take control of the Muslim empire.

The first Imam was able to rule for few years before he himself was also assassinated.

Now what I want to say is that the Hadith, (sayings of the Imams) are huge in volume.

You will not find anybody who have read it all.

I spent years reading the Hadiths.

What is sure about their teachings is the following:

God sent tens of thousands of prophets, and those prophets in general have successors, like the Imams. They were sent to the different parts of the world.

Indeed the Quran itself is telling us the following:

“Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past).” Quran (35vs24)

So there were prophets who were sent even to China.

The Quran is clearly telling us that people tend to tamper with the teachings of their prophets after the death of these prophets.

Just contemplate on the following verse:

"Muhammad is no more than a messenger: many Were the messenger that passed away before him. If he died or were slain, will ye then Turn back on your heels? If any did turn back on his heels, not the least harm will he do to Allah; but Allah (on the other hand) will swiftly reward those who (serve Him) with gratitude. "Quran (3vs14).

So what is certain is that many non Abrahamic religions, are nothing more that new modified versions of ancient religions of the previous prophets that the “Allah” has sent (according to the Islamic teachings).

This explain that many of the teachings of these religions, such as Buddhism, when it comes to many areas like ethics and philosophy have some similarities to the teachings of the Abrahamic religions.

Indeed this led some researchers to first compare the teachings of these religions and Islam. And then make a comparison between Buddha for instance and some prophets mentioned in the Quran and the Hadith. Where some thought that Buddha may be nothing but Hazrat Khidr (a.s), a prophet described in the Quran.

Although the Hadith of the Shiites imams are huge in volume, in the famous hadiths you will not find clear mentioning of this.

This is what I know in this subject. Hopefully you will find it of benefit.
"Where some thought that Buddha may be nothing but Hazrat Khidr (a.s), a prophet described in the Quran."

Please quote from any Imam or scholar, in this connection, kindly. Right, please?

Regards

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
"Where some thought that Buddha may be nothing but Hazrat Khidr (a.s), a prophet described in the Quran."

Please quote from any Imam or scholar, in this connection, kindly. Right, please?

Regards

Hi,
I will post you a link to a lecture given in English by a Shia Scholar in the subject.

I must say that I myself did not hear this lecture, due to my other engagements and lack of time.

So I have no opinion about its content.

Here is the link:

all the best

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hi,
I will post you a link to a lecture given in English by a Shia Scholar in the subject.

I must say that I myself did not hear this lecture, due to my other engagements and lack of time.

So I have no opinion about its content.

Here is the link:

all the best
The link is useful. His arguments from Quran about prophets Buddha,Confucius, Krishna and Socrates are reasonable. Please do quote from the Imams and scholars about the above prophets of G-d

Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Since we are not discussing the Buddhist scripture, so there is no distortion, please. Right, please?

Regards

Using the name buddha and referring to Gautama is the problem. None of the buddhas are prophets. Unless you're redefining the word buddha, you need to pick another word 'cause without considering who buddha was "from his Practice and Dharma and to Buddhists themselves", the buddha/Quran correlation makes no sense.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Using the name buddha and referring to Gautama is the problem. None of the buddhas are prophets. Unless you're redefining the word buddha, you need to pick another word 'cause without considering who buddha was "from his Practice and Dharma and to Buddhists themselves", the buddha/Quran correlation makes no sense.
It makes sense to us Muslims. We believe Jesus to be a Jewish truthful messenger/prophet of G-d just because Quran mentions him. Do you want that Muslims (G-d forbid) cease to be believing Jesus as such. Nobody has any hegemony on these personalities, these are for everybody. Right, please?

Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It makes sense to us Muslims. We believe Jesus to be a Jewish truthful messenger/prophet of G-d just because Quran mentions him. Do you want that Muslims (G-d forbid) cease to be believing Jesus as such. Nobody has any hegemony on these personalities, these are for everybody. Right, please?

Regards

Jesus and The Buddha are two different people.

How do you relate the Quran to The Buddha without recognizing who The Buddha is to Buddhist themselves?

What is buddha in the Quran?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Jesus and The Buddha are two different people.

How do you relate the Quran to The Buddha without recognizing who The Buddha is to Buddhist themselves?

What is buddha in the Quran?
Buddha is a messenger/prophet of G-d in Islam his title name is given in Quran as Zul Kifl.
It is like Moses is mentioned in Quran as Musa.
It is like Jesus is mentioned in Quran as Isa.
It is like Abraham is mentioned in Quran as Ibrahim.
And so one and so forth.
Quran specifically mentions that warners/prophets/messengers have been sent to all the lands by G-d and only name of some have been mentioned in Quran, they could be recognized easily from their teachings and ways, not difficult. Quran is not a book of names. Right, please?

Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Buddha is a messenger/prophet of G-d in Islam his title name is given in Quran as Zul Kifl.
It is like Moses is mentioned in Quran as Musa.
It is like Jesus is mentioned in Quran as Isa.
It is like Abraham is mentioned in Quran as Ibrahim.
And so one and so forth.
Quran specifically mentions that warners/prophets/messengers have been sent to all the lands by G-d and only name of some have been mentioned in Quran, they could be recognized easily from their teachings and ways, not difficult. Quran is not a book of names. Right, please?

Regards

Why the name buddha?

It's misleading.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member

Regards

Correction: It makes sense to some of us Muslims.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We express it openly, so there is no question of misleading anybody. We don't force it on anybody. They give their perspective we give our perspective, reason and truth prevails. It is very peaceful. Right, please?

Regards

But my question is why use the term buddha?

Prophet, teacher, messenger, and so have you are better. However, buddha has a specific definition to a specific practice. Any deviation from that definition miscues the name.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
But my question is why use the term buddha?

Prophet, teacher, messenger, and so have you are better. However, buddha has a specific definition to a specific practice. Any deviation from that definition miscues the name.
I think I have given my viewpoint and we agree to disagree on the point , please.

Right, please?

Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think I have given my viewpoint and we agree to disagree on the point , please.

Right, please?

Regards

I just wanted to know why use the name buddha.

We're not agreeing to disagree on anything. I'm asking for clarification and wondering why you use that word for a muslim belief.