• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddha and Christ identical Beings

PureX

Veteran Member
Things written ABOUT them are not things written BY them. And these things written ABOUT them refer to an idealized perception OF them. The similarities you are reading in these quotes are similar because they express the conceptions of their adherents, about their respective divine manifestations.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes Jesus was teaching about Creator God Buddha did not say there is not gods But he did not see a creator God from the beginning. Nor did he actually talked much about the beginning of time ( what God called creation
It would be interesting and illuminating to compare Buddhist and Chritian works in and of themselves without shoehorning them into predetermined ideological boxes.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Pretty? That's an understatement. I'd say VERY.

But this thread isn't surprising, considering the source. It is what Baha'i's believe. Another 'religious debate' just to proselytize.

It appears we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t. Lol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Before anyone could ever say that Buddha and Christ were identical beings, we'd have to prove both actually existed. Then we'd have to get some actual proof of what they were like, how they taught, what they taught directly.

All we have are followers opinions and adherents views from the some 2000 years of time. So any discussion at all about the supposed topic of the threat would only be a lot of conjecture on all sides.

The very fact that there are two separate huge religions should say a lot. If they were actually the same guy, or same being, it would follow that there be only one religion.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Look at the statement of Buddha about Himself:

"I am chief of the world,
Eldest am I in the world,
Foremost am I in the world.
This is the last birth.
There is now no more coming to be."
Miracles of Gautama Buddha - Wikipedia

Now, compare and see how those statements are the same as what Jesus said about Himself:

Jesus said, I am the first, before Abraham I was
Buddha said, Eldest am I in the world,

Jesus said I am the Last.
Buddha said, This is the last birth, There is now no more coming to be."

Jesus said, He is the King, as Messiah is the King by definition.
Buddha said I am chief of the world,

And in the words of Bahaullah:

"They are at the same time the Exponents of both the “first” and the “last.” Whilst established upon the seat of the “first,” they occupy the throne of the “last.” Were a discerning eye to be found, it will readily perceive that the exponents of the “first” and the “last,” of the “manifest” and the “hidden,” of the “beginning” and the “seal” are none other than these holy Beings, these Essences of Detachment, these divine Souls. " Bahaullah, Book of Iqan

My friend you forgot One - namely Krishna.

In the Bhagavad-Gita He said of Himself in Chapter 10 verse 20..

‘I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings’

So your title could be Jesus, Buddha and Krishna.are One.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Stating a core Baha'i belief can hardly be considered as a topic to be put in a debate forum, when no debate is intended. Debate has give and take and actual discussion, not just reiteration of the same claim over and over. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to put it in the Baha'i DIR?

PureX

Veteran Member
It would be interesting and illuminating to compare Buddhist and Chritian works in and of themselves without shoehorning them into predetermined ideological boxes.
I think we would find many similarities. As we would comparing any large, long term religious expression. But the reason for those similarities would be based more on the fact that we are all humans, seeking many of the same spiritual goals, then on some sort of universal divinity visiting us in various places, times, and forms.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Before anyone could ever say that Buddha and Christ were identical beings, we'd have to prove both actually existed. Then we'd have to get some actual proof of what they were like, how they taught, what they taught directly.

All we have are followers opinions and adherents views from the some 2000 years of time. So any discussion at all about the supposed topic of the threat would only be a lot of conjecture on all sides.

The very fact that there are two separate huge religions should say a lot. If they were actually the same guy, or same being, it would follow that there be only one religion.

One in essence but different.

We say there is one sun in the sky.

But if with regards to the days of the week we say today is the sun of Monday and tomorrow is the sun of Tuesday then although it appears there is a division, in reality it is the same sun reappearing on the horizon each day. We are the ones labeling each day as different but it’s still the same one sun.

But If we only look at the days then we see 7 different suns. Our perspective says 7;different suns but the reality is it’s only one sun. Thensame with the Manifestations. Like the days ofnthe week Their names are different so if we look at the names we see 7 essences butbin rrsoity They all are one and the same. Only outwardly do They differ but the light is the same light of truth that They shed upon humanity.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Look at the statement of Buddha about Himself:

"I am chief of the world,
Eldest am I in the world,
Foremost am I in the world.
This is the last birth.
There is now no more coming to be."
Miracles of Gautama Buddha - Wikipedia

Now, compare and see how those statements are the same as what Jesus said about Himself:

Jesus said, I am the first, before Abraham I was
Buddha said, Eldest am I in the world,

Jesus said I am the Last.
Buddha said, This is the last birth, There is now no more coming to be."

Jesus said, He is the King, as Messiah is the King by definition.
Buddha said I am chief of the world,

And in the words of Bahaullah:

"They are at the same time the Exponents of both the “first” and the “last.” Whilst established upon the seat of the “first,” they occupy the throne of the “last.” Were a discerning eye to be found, it will readily perceive that the exponents of the “first” and the “last,” of the “manifest” and the “hidden,” of the “beginning” and the “seal” are none other than these holy Beings, these Essences of Detachment, these divine Souls. " Bahaullah, Book of Iqan
That's pretty creative.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One in essence but different.

We say there is one sun in the sky.

But if with regards to the days of the week we say today is the sun of Monday and tomorrow is the sun of Tuesday then although it appears there is a division, in reality it is the same sun reappearing on the horizon each day. We are the ones labeling each day as different but it’s still the same one sun.

But If we only look at the days then we see 7 different suns.

Yes, and earlier you forgot Moses, Muhammad. the Bab, and Baha'u'llah. It's all the same thing, I get it. Believe it or not, after having it reiterated to me 200 times or so, it has sunk in.

Oranges, apples, muskrats, dominoes, whiskey, ... why they're all the same thing.

InvestigateTruth

There is a similar Hadith:

Ibne Abbas narrates that the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.s.) said: “This Ummah will not perish and that I am in its beginning, Isa is in its end and the Mahdi is in its middle.”
Bihar alanwar, vol 51-53, part 1.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I don't know if you're still working or not, but why bother going to work on Monday at 9? Why not just wait until Tuesday? After all, it is the same thing. Just let your boss know that you didn't come in on Monday because Tuesday is the same thing. Or tell him you came on Sunday, but the office was closed. I'm sure he'll understand. He's a smart guy after all.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It appears we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t. Lol
Not really. If you are authentically interested in careful comparison in a systematic fashion, I am happy to do that. Picking isolated sentences from here and there is not the way to go about it.

And you will actually have to read the writings themselves from professional translations who have mastery in the languages they are translating from.

This has not happened so far.

I have spent 10 years in inter-religious and inter-faith study groups in universities, and spent much of my time studying the scholarly translations of works in Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity. I am not a professional in this topic, but I have gained some knowledge from these efforts I would think.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The one eternal Avatar appears in various locations at various times to teach the one eternal message in a form suited to the people of the time and place (Blind Men and the Elephant). When religion develops after the incarnation is over, what is written and taught is not identical to the original message.

Hence the life and teachings of Jesus and Gautama look different, even wildly different in some respects, but the root of the message is the same.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The one eternal Avatar appears in various locations at various times to teach the one eternal message in a form suited to the people of the time and place (Blind Men and the Elephant). When religion develops after the incarnation is over, what is written and taught is not identical to the original message.

Hence the life and teachings of Jesus and Gautama look different, even wildly different in some respects, but the root of the message is the same.

But how do we know that? I'm not saying it's a wrong belief, but neither am I saying it's a right belief. If there is so much we do not know, then how can we make such claims? It seems to me that people project what they wist to be true on to the situation, rather than just saying, "I don't know." Personally, I don't know. But I guess if people do feel that they somehow do know, that is their right too.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Not really. If you are authentically interested in careful comparison in a systematic fashion, I am happy to do that. Picking isolated sentences from here and there is not the way to go about it.

And you will actually have to read the writings themselves from professional translations who have mastery in the languages they are translating from.

This has not happened so far.

I have spent 10 years in inter-religious and inter-faith study groups in universities, and spent much of my time studying the scholarly translations of works in Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity. I am not a professional in this topic, but I have gained some knowledge from these efforts I would think.

Glad to share views.

It was the unlearned Peter who recognised the true station of Christ not the learned Caiaphas.

. Baha’u’llah defines true knowledge as compared to acquired learning thus...

Consider, how can he that faileth in the day of God’s Revelation to attain unto the grace of the “Divine Presence” and to recognize His Manifestation, be justly called learned, though he may have spent aeons in the pursuit of knowledge, and acquired all the limited and material learning of men? It is surely evident that he can in no wise be regarded as possessed of true knowledge.

Whereas, the most unlettered of all men, if he be honoured with this supreme distinction, he verily is accounted as one of those divinely-learned men whose knowledge is of God; for such a man hath attained the acme of knowledge, and hath reached the furthermost summit of learning.

InvestigateTruth

But how do we know that? I'm not saying it's a wrong belief, but neither am I saying it's a right belief. If there is so much we do not know, then how can we make such claims? It seems to me that people project what they wist to be true on to the situation, rather than just saying, "I don't know." Personally, I don't know. But I guess if people do feel that they somehow do know, that is their right too.
Fair enough, but why do you think, both Buddha, and Jesus said, 'I am the first, I am the Last'? This is a very unique statement one can make about himself. Is it coincidental? Yet, Krishna, said the same 'I am the first..and the last'. Now, ironically, Those who claimed such a station, were Founders of great Religions that have endured for thousands of years. Whereas when did an ordinary grue or hindu teacher, or a Muslim teacher, ever said, 'I am the first and the last'.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Fair enough, but why do you think, both Buddha, and Jesus said, 'I am the first, I am the Last'? This is a very unique statement one can make about himself. Is it coincidental? Yet, Krishna, said the same 'I am the first..and the last'. Now, ironically, Those who claimed such a station, were Founders of great Religions that have endured for thousands of years. Whereas when did an ordinary grue or hindu teacher, or a Muslim teacher, ever said, 'I am the first and the last'.

I don't know if they actually said that. I wasn't there to hear them. Apparently you were. You are a time traveler?

I don't know what a grue is.

whirlingmerc

Colossians says all things were mode from through to by and FOR Jesus
far more of a claim

Where there may be some similarities you might compare and contrast, in the end not the same

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Glad to share views.

It was the unlearned Peter who recognised the true station of Christ not the learned Caiaphas.

. Baha’u’llah defines true knowledge as compared to acquired learning thus...

Consider, how can he that faileth in the day of God’s Revelation to attain unto the grace of the “Divine Presence” and to recognize His Manifestation, be justly called learned, though he may have spent aeons in the pursuit of knowledge, and acquired all the limited and material learning of men? It is surely evident that he can in no wise be regarded as possessed of true knowledge.

Whereas, the most unlettered of all men, if he be honoured with this supreme distinction, he verily is accounted as one of those divinely-learned men whose knowledge is of God; for such a man hath attained the acme of knowledge, and hath reached the furthermost summit of learning.
There you go. You response demonstrates that your beliefs are based on an attachment to and glorification of ignorance. Little discussion is possible when one has turned one's face away from learning and knowledge as a means to truth.