• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bronze age goat herders...

Some folks who really gets my 'goat' are those amoral and ignorant philistines who dismiss parts of the Bible as 'the raving of Bronze Age goat herders'.

Even the most incurious cod rationalist worth his salt should know that the historically correct periodisation for this banal but supercilious dismissal is 'the ravings of Iron Age goat herders' :goat::goat::goat::turban::knife:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Some folks who really gets my 'goat' are those amoral and ignorant philistines who dismiss parts of the Bible as 'the raving of Bronze Age goat herders'.

Even the most incurious cod rationalist worth his salt should know that the historically correct periodisation for this banal but supercilious dismissal is 'the ravings of Iron Age goat herders' :goat::goat::goat::turban::knife:
We're now living in the Plastic Age. Its fitting in more ways than one.

QuestioningMind

Best to ignore the ravings of anyone... regardless of what age they come from.

Heyo

Veteran Member

While you are right that all literalizations and canonizations of biblical myths are well into the Iron Age of the relevant regions, the origins of the myths can be traced back to the Bronze Age.

While you are right that all literalizations and canonizations of biblical myths are well into the Iron Age of the relevant regions, the origins of the myths can be traced back to the Bronze Age.

Even if some myths reformulate common topoi, that does not make them the same myths.

Even iron age goat herders can be creative after all :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
if-you-dont-want-someone-to-get-your-goat-dont-tell-them-where-you-have-it-tied-b41f9.png

epronovost

The Classical Greeks were Bronze Age goat herders, too. :rolleyes:

No, classical Greece were deep in the Iron Age. Mycenaean Greece was a great power of the late Bronze Age. Clasical Greece would be around 500 BC.

Note that, taken literally, Greek Mythology is just as absurd and contradictory as the mythology of the Hebrew. Here's just one: how can Hephaistos help Zeus give birth to Athena if he, himself, was conceived by Hera alone as a revenge for Zeus giving birth to Athena.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
To my knowledge, a not insignificant portion of the Hebrew Bible was likely authored by the Babylonian exile community, which was mostly made up of the rich intellectual sons and daughters of the Judaic nobility. This may well have been where the flood myth was coming from, considering the prevalence of flood myths in Mesopotamian religious mythology.

SeekingAllTruth

Good catch!

SeekingAllTruth

To my knowledge, a not insignificant portion of the Hebrew Bible was likely authored by the Babylonian exile community, which was mostly made up of the rich intellectual sons and daughters of the Judaic nobility. This may well have been where the flood myth was coming from, considering the prevalence of flood myths in Mesopotamian religious mythology.
But the original stories themselves were told around fires at night by Bronze Age goat herders.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
No, classical Greece were deep in the Iron Age. Mycenaean Greece was a great power of the late Bronze Age. Clasical Greece would be around 500 BC.

Note that, taken literally, Greek Mythology is just as absurd and contradictory as the mythology of the Hebrew. Here's just one: how can Hephaistos help Zeus give birth to Athena if he, himself, was conceived by Hera alone as a revenge for Zeus giving birth to Athena.
Oops. There goes my joke.

Those stories aren't meant to be taken literally. Most of them started as folktales handed down orally.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Athena and Hephaestus as Jungian Anima and Animus, respectively. ;)

epronovost

Athena and Hephaestus as Jungian Anima and Animus, respectively. ;)

Except Hephaistos isn't a "feminine" deity nor associated with feminine themes or domains despite being a man like Dionysus, Asklepios or Tiresias (who was a woman for a while) for example. Jung truly was the most useless thing to ever come into philosophy and psychology.

crossfire

Premium Member
Except Hephaistos isn't a "feminine" deity nor associated with feminine themes or domains despite being a man like Dionysus, Asklepios or Tiresias (who was a woman for a while) for example. Jung truly was the most useless thing to ever come into philosophy and psychology.
Hephaestus representing Hera's Animus, Athena representing Zeus's Anima...this is my own interpretation. (Anima being what a man holds back from his Persona, animus being what a woman holds back from her Persona.) Your mileage may vary.

epronovost

Hephaestus representing Hera's Animus, Athena representing Zeus's Anima...this is my own interpretation. (Anima being what a man holds back from his Persona, animus being what a woman holds back from her Persona.) Your mileage may vary.

For that it would require you to be completely ignorant of the character of Hephaestus.

crossfire

Premium Member
For that it would require you to be completely ignorant of the character of Hephaestus.
I'm well aware of Hephaestus. Animus of women is also described as having many of Hephaestus' qualities, including being ugly.