• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bronx Teacher fired for refusing black panther salute.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So when did salutes become mandatory now in school superintendent meetings?

Long-time Bronx teacher fired for refusing 'Black Panther' salute: Court filing

From the article, it said that the salute was a symbol to represent the Bronx, not a symbol of "Black Power."

DOE officials countered that the arm gesture was borrowed from the popular comic book film and is "a symbol used to represent the Bronx" and not intended to be interpreted as a form of "black power."

I thought the "Bronx Cheer" was the symbol to represent the Bronx.

I don't think teachers should be required to give any kind of "salute," whether it's saluting the flag, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, singing the school song, or whatever the case may be. The focus of a school district should be education, not silly clubhouse rules.

aWqjdRA_700b.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I tried to find this story on a reputable news source, and I couldn't find anything. Are you sure that the story is real to begin with and, if it is, that the teacher wasn't fired for something other than what she claims she was fired for?

The article linked directly to the lawsuit, which can be found on the New York State Unified Court System website: ViewDocument (state.ny.us)

It seems that if there's an actual court case which can be verified, it's real enough. How it will actually turn out in court is another matter, but it seems sufficient for a news article reporting on it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I tried to find this story on a reputable news source, and I couldn't find anything. Are you sure that the story is real to begin with and, if it is, that the teacher wasn't fired for something other than what she claims she was fired for?
It's off MSN, the source was from the Examiner.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The article linked directly to the lawsuit, which can be found on the New York State Unified Court System website: ViewDocument (state.ny.us)

It seems that if there's an actual court case which can be verified, it's real enough. How it will actually turn out in court is another matter, but it seems sufficient for a news article reporting on it.

Thanks.

That still seems to lack a confirmed cause of her firing, though: only what she and the article claim. I'm skeptical that this one gesture was the whole reason for the dispute, but if it was, then the ones who filed the lawsuit and fired the teacher probably need to be investigated for discrimination in the workplace.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
... which is of dubious and questionable origin and accuracy. We're jumping to inflammatory conclusions and giving it more merit than warranted by discussing it before verifying its credibility, in my opinion.

Well, we can at least be certain that a lawsuit was filed over this. I won't get into an argument over which sources are more credible than others, but at least in this case, the part I quoted "from the article" seems an attempt to get a comment from both sides. A teacher sued the district and alleged that she was fired because she refused to give the Black Panther salute. The district said in their response that it wasn't a Black Panther salute, but it was "a symbol used to represent the Bronx" and not intended to be interpreted as a form of "black power." That's the part that I quoted.

I think we should all strive to be as fair and accurate as humanly possible, but stories of this type shouldn't necessarily be ignored or dismissed out of hand, since such things can and do happen in America.

Twilight Hue

From the article, it said that the salute was a symbol to represent the Bronx, not a symbol of "Black Power."

I thought the "Bronx Cheer" was the symbol to represent the Bronx.

I don't think teachers should be required to give any kind of "salute," whether it's saluting the flag, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, singing the school song, or whatever the case may be. The focus of a school district should be education, not silly clubhouse rules.

aWqjdRA_700b.jpg
I agree. Regardless, any kind of salute is rather strange coming from a superintendents meeting.

Twilight Hue

This is reportedly a claim, by someone alleging wrongful dismissal in a law suit . It is not, so far, established fact.

My guess would be that we will find out it is not the reason she lost her job.

Definitely the facts will come out in the courtroom.