• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broken Van

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The van's electrical system is failing. We plugged it in, and got about a page of codes, all related to the electrical system.

Anyone have this happen before? Its still running, but its not running terribly well. I wouldn't take it out of the city.

I'd call the mechanic, but he's closed right now. I'm trying to look up how costly this tends to be, but I'm not finding anything that makes sense.

Curious if anyone else has had this happen.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Not me. I've only had one situation where I had to have an error message read and it was only a single, obvious issue that needed an easily replaceable part.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The van's electrical system is failing. We plugged it in, and got about a page of codes, all related to the electrical system.

Anyone have this happen before? Its still running, but its not running terribly well. I wouldn't take it out of the city.

I'd call the mechanic, but he's closed right now. I'm trying to look up how costly this tends to be, but I'm not finding anything that makes sense.

If that happens with vans, imagine evs for the future.

You best look for the simple first. A simple short, loose wire, or bad ground can exist.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I had my butt catch on fire in a VW.
They stuck the battery under the back sit.
When you sit in the back there's a chance of shorting the battery terminals.
The metal in the seat heats up and catches the insulation on fire. :shrug:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Put your hand over the vehicle and begin saying with authority "IN THE NAME OF JESUS!!!....:thumbsup::praying::D"

I said a prayer to Ganesh. :p

You best look for the simple first. A simple short, loose wire, or bad ground can exist.

My husband reset something. Its working now.

Previous to this the battery died... I don't know if that's all connected.

I don't know much about vans, but I know I don't like replacing them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I had my butt catch on fire in a VW.
They stuck the battery under the back sit.
When you sit in the back there's a chance of shorting the battery terminals.
The metal in the seat heats up and catches the insulation on fire. :shrug:

That's a heck of a place to put the battery.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

It might turn out to be something easily fixed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My husband reset something. Its working now.

Previous to this the battery died... I don't know if that's all connected.

I don't know much about vans, but I know I don't like replacing them.
I'd keep an eye on it. If a battery died not too long ago there's a chance the problems are related.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ah.......... You do need a mechanic with a plug in system-diagnosis processor.
The mechanic might be able to reset the whole system without trouble..........
.....or........ it might be costly. I'm so sorry to be useless over this, I hate more recent vehicle electronics and can no longer carry out own-maintenance on any of our vehicles..... even the bloomin' electric bike is 3-phase and complex.

In the UK a vehicle with its engine management warning light on..... any of them....cannot pass it's annual MOT test. It's all getting really dodgy for DIY mechanics, I'm afraid.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

Check your battery voltage. Low voltage can cause a whole slew of false readings.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Ah.......... You do need a mechanic with a plug in system-diagnosis processor.
The mechanic might be able to reset the whole system without trouble..........
.....or........ it might be costly. I'm so sorry to be useless over this, I hate more recent vehicle electronics and can no longer carry out own-maintenance on any of our vehicles..... even the bloomin' electric bike is 3-phase and complex.

In the UK a vehicle with its engine management warning light on..... any of them....cannot pass it's annual MOT test. It's all getting really dodgy for DIY mechanics, I'm afraid.

This one isn't even new; 2007. But still too complex...

We did get the plug in diagnosis(our local auto parts shops will do this for free). There were a lot of them...

Check your battery voltage. Low voltage can cause a whole slew of false readings.

I think this may be what happened. I think the battery may need to be replaced. Perhaps one that actually goes in hat van this time...

I dont think @JustGeorge are powered by battery :p She may be low on energy tho....:p

I am low on energy! You think a battery would help?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
... You think a battery would help?

You may not need an actual new battery. It could be something as simple as corrosion on
the battery connectors. I've had to replace them before, it's a very corrosive environment.
You can also perhaps open up the cells of the battery, see if any of them look low in water
level (use distilled water) or a bad cell (muddy looking opaque sludge instead of clear)