• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

British Values

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
i used to think the British stood for manners, and proper speech, and good behaviour, I certainly don't think that anymore

Altfish

Veteran Member
If Kenny were still alive, he wouldn’t get a series in modern Britain!
Rubbish, you have a short memory. He was banned back in the 70s for a comment about the Minister of Transport's wife. He was always getting reprimanded, remember him at the Tory Party conference?

Notanumber

A Free Man
Rubbish, you have a short memory. He was banned back in the 70s for a comment about the Minister of Transport's wife. He was always getting reprimanded, remember him at the Tory Party conference?

The point being that if Kenny were still alive, he wouldn’t get a series in modern Britain!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
British values used to be the yardstick of freedom until all this PC malarkey started to creep into our society.
When I hear "British values," the first two things that come to mind:

- the mass murder committed by Reginald Dyer at Amritsar in the name of Empire, and

- the fundraising campaign in England for Dyer after he was fired from the British Army for ordering the massacre (but never charged criminally).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There was a poster up at college with the British Values on it but all I can remember are 'democracy' and 'equality'. I turned my nose up at the democracy bit.
I question how much a country where its head of state and much of the upper chamber of its legislature are chosen by birthright cares about democracy or equality.

Edit: in an institutional sense, I mean. It's possible for the people in such a country to care about these things even if these values aren't reflected in their government.