• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

British students try biscuits for the first time:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You mean correct. Our use of the word "biscuit" is the traditional one. It was the British that changed their biscuits::

The History of the Biscuit

British biscuits used to be savory too. But from the description of a ship's biscuit in the article I can understand why.

Meanwhile our word cookie came from the early Dutch immigrants. A reminder, at one time New York city was called New Amsterdam. Cookie essentially means :small cake". Here cookies were always sweet:

The Food Timeline: history notes--cookies, crackers & biscuits...
OK, it's correct for Americans!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's just a click bait title.

Jellied eels, ok

Black pudding, sliced and fried, you can't have a full English breakfast without it

Mince pies, I'm not keen on them but they certainly aren't disgusting.. click bait

Pork pies, what's wrong with minced pork in pastry?

Mushy peas, tasteless as any pea's, depends who prepares them, traditional with fish and chips.

Stargazy pie. Never heard of it. But we did have fisherman's pie for dinner on Thursday night

Fish finger sandwich, why?

Haggis, see black pudding, but boiled, meh.

Marmite on toast, you either love it or hate it. To me it's the most disgusting item on the list.

Prawn Cocktail Crisps. They flavour crisps with all sorts, i prefer pesto or truffle flavour.

Winkles, not had any for years, as i remember i wasn't very keen.

Scotch eggs. Sausage and egg with bread, what's wrong with that?

Tripe, now you are into the realms of really disgusting, my grandfather used to eat it. Not for me, i definitely prefer fugu and that can kill you?
Peas can actually have flavor. One of my favorite vegetables are frozen peas. The peas are picked while still young and soft, One does not wait until they are mature and tasteless. Then they are immediately lightly blanched and frozen. I put just a little water in a pan and then cook them hardly at all. If you boil them you might as well buy canned. I have never even found them fresh. /The tune from picked to frozen is measured in only hours,,. They have a completely different tase from canned or dried. An U do make a few batches of split pea soup every winter with the dried.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You mean correct. Our use of the word "biscuit" is the traditional one. It was the British that changed their biscuits::

The History of the Biscuit

British biscuits used to be savory too. But from the description of a ship's biscuit in the article I can understand why.

Meanwhile our word cookie came from the early Dutch immigrants. A reminder, at one time New York city was called New Amsterdam. Cookie essentially means :small cake". Here cookies were always sweet:

The Food Timeline: history notes--cookies, crackers & biscuits...

It's like complaining about the word "soccer" even though the term was coined by oxford students as an abbreviation of association football to differentiate it from rugby.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah, bad name in the UK.

"Cookies" is used in the UK, tends to be used for the bigger item.

I know that Nestle has had problems. Still eat a toll house chocolate chip cookie fresh out of oven with a cold glass of milk and all will be forgiven.

And those "biscuits" do tend to look a bit wimpy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Peas can actually have flavor. One of my favorite vegetables are frozen peas. The peas are picked while still young and soft, One does not wait until they are mature and tasteless. Then they are immediately lightly blanched and frozen. I put just a little water in a pan and then cook them hardly at all. If you boil them you might as well buy canned. I have never even found them fresh. /The tune from picked to frozen is measured in only hours,,. They have a completely different tase from canned or dried. An U do make a few batches of split pea soup every winter with the dried.

I do like peas, usually buy frozen petit pois. Never tinned.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do like peas, usually buy frozen petit pois. Never tinned.
We have the same choice here for frozen petite peas, which would be a direct translation of your favorite are mine as well. I have never had "mushy peas" but they cannot be too different from dried peas. If I want peas I almost always buy frozen. Dried ones are good in soup, along with a smoked pork shank. If one has a ham the bone and surrounding meat gets the sane treatment. Cook the bone until all of the meat is coming off the bone, the collagen has also been largely dissolved, and the marrow is entering the soup. Add the peas. (dried). A mirepoix, towards the end I chop up some fresh tomatoes, Along with some fresh bread. Not sliced sandwich bread, but a bread baked today. If your leftovers gel from all of the dissolved collagen you probably made a very tasty soup.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
[l
It's like complaining about the word "soccer" even though the term was coined by oxford students as an abbreviation of association football to differentiate it from rugby.

We Italians too feel weirded out when someone calls soccer "football" because we use the word il football exclusively to mean the American sport. We use a word for soccer that means "kicking".
So I always use the word soccer.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
[l

You have to use its full title which is... the sport formerly known as soccer.

RestlessSoul

I've eaten many odd foods, jellied eel only once, only because the opportunity has not happened since. Tasted a bit like tuna. Yes I'd have them again

My Nan loved a tub of jellied eels from Tubby Isaac’s fish stall on The Aldwych. Tubby was a London legend…

9C7A9BA4-1368-4690-9C0F-ABB0BD664458.jpeg