• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bringing back the dodo

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Even if they succeed, it sounds potentially dangerous to return long-extinct species to the wild into an ecosystem that has evolved to accommodate their absence.

Preserving extant species—many of which are endangered—and their habitats seems to me a much more useful pursuit.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
OK. Where will it house these revenants?

They want to reintroduce them into the wild:

The link in the OP said:
The company also has plans to bring back the wooly mammoth and a fox-like predatory marsupial, the thylacine or Tasmanian tiger. If successful, the specimens will be reintroduced into the wild and returned fully to the ecosystem.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
If this became a reality, it would be so cool. I know there've been active efforts to recreate the aurochs through breeding certain strains of bovinae. I'd love to see them bypass those methods and utilize this one if it turns out that it works. Can you imagine if they were able to bring back saber tooth tigers, hell boars, or terror birds too? Not saying they should, but damn that would be awesome

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If this became a reality, it would be so cool. I know there've been active efforts to recreate the aurochs through breeding certain strains of bovinae. I'd love to see them bypass those methods and utilize this one if it turns out that it works. Can you imagine if they were able to bring back saber tooth tigers, hell boars, or terror birds too? Not saying they should, but damn that would be awesome
It makes me wonder if reverse engineering is biologically feasible?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I prefer the slower methods of returning the aurochs than the genetic manipulation they seem to want to do here.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'll get excited when they bring back t Rex and the raptors.

Or should I be terrified?

Anyways , what happened to bring back the woolly mammoth?
For dinosaurs, that apparently is impossible, given the amount of time since they disappeared - too much damage to the DNA. And the woolly mammoth project will take at least 100 years even if this is possible. According to a radio programme yesterday - including a scientist involved in this latter project.

PS This issue was discussed on the programme below, for all those who can access BBC iPlayer:

The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry - Series 21 - The Resurrection Quest - BBC Sounds

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
I sure hope they don't get things mixed up. The prospect of a wooly mammoth-sized dodo with Tasmanian tiger like teeth doesn't sound good.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Even if they succeed, it sounds potentially dangerous to return long-extinct species to the wild into an ecosystem that has evolved to accommodate their absence.

Preserving extant species—many of which are endangered—and their habitats seems to me a much more useful pursuit.
The dodo, Tasmanian tiger, & mammoths haven't
been extinct all that long from an evolutionary
time frame. And I eagerly await Dodo McNuggets.

Last edited: