• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bring Thyself to account

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I thought I would like to share quotes on bringing yourself to account, and my take on them. i am embarrassed to say that until now, haven't been bringing myself to account each day. I will start now.

O Son of Being!

Bring thyself to account each day ere thou art summoned to a reckoning; for death, unheralded, shall come upon thee and thou shalt be called to give account for thy deeds.

, “The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh” , a31

We should look at our deeds for the day and judge and see how good they are, and try to improve them because we don't know when we are going to die and at that time if we haven't kept account we will be surprised at how bad our deeds might be, and we won't be able to make amends for what we did.

"...Every day, in the morning when arising one should compare today with yesterday and see in what condition you are. If you see your belief is stronger and your heart more occupied with God and your love increased and your freedom from the world greater then thank God and ask for the increase of these qualities. You must begin to pray and repent for all that you have done which is wrong and you must implore and ask for help and assistance that you may become better than yesterday so that you may continue to make progress."
('Abdu'l-Bahá, Star of the West, Vol. VIII, No. 6, p. 68; also quoted in Lights of Guidance, p. 457, no. 1485)

"He urges you to persevere and add up your accomplishments, rather than to dwell on the dark side of things. Everyone's life has both a dark and bright side. The Master said: turn your back to the darkness and your face to Me."

(On behalf of Shoghi Effendi, Unfolding Destiny, p. 457)
It seems I must bring myself to account when I get up in the morning. It seems the emphasis is to not dwell on the dark side of myself, see my progress from the previous day. See what you did wrong, after you have first seen any improvement, pray for progress and repent for the wrong of the previous day, then leave that wrong behind, and not dwell on that wrong the rest of the day.