• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bring in the Celtic roots

Toxikmynd

Demir
I'm taking another shot at Asatru, except I'm putting a lot of effort into the Celtic pantheon, I'm going to look into CR more, but until I feel comfortable with it (which I doubt I will) I will stay as an Ásatrúar.

Treks

We meet again TM :-D

Have you thought about Anglo Saxon heathenry? Maybe that could provide a middle ground for you?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Because I primarily practice a form of Anglo-Saxon Heathenry/Asatru, I tend to include a lot of Celtic elements, specifically Britannian/Welsh and Gaelic, including the Horned God. I also include elements from post-Christian legends and lore, such as King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc.

While there is very little on pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon paganism, I believe there's enough to remake it for the modern Anglo-American world.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say so. It seems to me that there are very close parallels among the Indo-European pantheons, and most importantly the worship. I know little of Celtic deities but I daresay that an offering of fruit, grains, wine, flame, etc. would be no different for Freyr, Cernnunos, Apollo, or even Thor (he loves all kinds of good food and drink ;)). It's just the deities one is drawn to who are different, but yet not so different. Heck, I can imagine Thor and Herc pounding down a few flagons and laughing it up after a rough and tumble night kicking monsters' butts.