• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bring Back the Nuns!

von bek

One of the issues that I believe the modern Theravada tradition needs to deal with is the reestablishment of the bhikkhuni order. Many monks have discussed this and wish to bring back the ordination of women as nuns. This tradition was lost in most of Theravada while it has continued in Mahayana. One of the obstacles is the different vinaya that has developed among the two great Buddhist traditions. Because of this, Mahayana nuns cannot ordain Theravada nuns. (Remember that it is the vinaya, the monastic rules, that are the big point of separation.)

I believe that the work has already begun to correct this imbalance. I hope that this accelerates. The Buddha is clear that gender is meaningless when it comes to attaining nibbana. I look forward to the day when my sisters in the Buddhadhamma are able to gather in large numbers, wearing the robes of one who has gone forth and with shaven heads!

What does womanhood matter at all
When the mind is concentrated well,
When knowledge flows on steadily
As one sees correctly into Dhamma.

One to whom it might occur, 'I'm a woman' or 'I'm a man'
Or 'I'm anything at all' —
Is fit for Mara to address.

The above quote is from the Soma Sutta, found in the Samyutta Nikaya: Soma Sutta: Soma

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, it is indeed a great and undesirable imbalance. Hopefully one that is about to end, as well.

von bek

There is still some resistance to bhikkhuni ordination amongst some of the more conservative monks, as Spiny Norman's link above will attest to. Bhikkhu Bodhi, whom I respect and revere greatly, supports bhikkhuni ordination; but, he does feel that the ordination done by Ajahn Brahm in Australia could have been handled in a better manner that may not have been so divisive.

The argument put forth by some, that because the lineage of nuns died out centuries ago and only nuns can ordain other nuns so therefore no more nuns... is not a convincing argument to me. When the Buddha established the order of nuns there obviously were not other nuns overseeing the process. My point being, you have to start somewhere. I do understand some of the reticence of allowing Theravada nuns to be ordained by Mahayana nuns, simply because the vinaya is different and that can be an important matter when it comes to the unity of the Sangha. However, that may be better than nothing. Regardless, in my view there is nothing wrong with monks overseeing the first round, allowing for those newly ordained nuns to oversee the process for future generations. Something like that had to take place originally when the Buddha established the bhikkhuni order in the first place.

Monks, nuns, male lay followers, and female lay followers are all capable of attaining nibbana. The Buddha established the orders of bhikkhus and bhikkhunis because monastic life provides the best environment for realization. The Buddha did not deny monastic life for women. Students are not greater than their teachers, we have no right to deny what the Buddha approved...