• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit - legal

Shushersbedamned

There's some threads about Brexit but I made a new one anyway and put it into the debate forum because it always turns into a debate. But in another thread there were a lot of comments that give me the idea not everyone knows the specifics about Brexit. Especially the legal stuff.

So here you can ask questions about it, comment on it, complain about it, write an essay about it (if you know how to share your post into paragraphs, if you don't - practice), post articles etc.

This is from european union's archives regarding the present situation with the Brexit process. One side of it.

If you want you can find it from here (atm it's at the top, later you'll have to search or I can help find it.

Document search page

It remains unclear whether the two-year transition, or ‘implementation’, period sought by the Government would represent a period of phased change to the terms of the future UK-EU trade relationship, or a ‘standstill period’ where the current EU competition regime would remain in force. Nevertheless, at some
point, a transition will take place from the status quo to the assumption of full
competence with regard to competition matters by UK courts and authorities.
Transitional arrangements will be necessary to clarify jurisdiction in relation to cases and administrative procedures which are ‘live’ at this point, as well as future cases relating to conduct which occurred while the UK was still part of the EU competition regime.

We support the Government’s ambition to reach at least an outline agreement
on a transition period with the EU in the first quarter of 2018. This agreement
should ensure continuity with current arrangements, so businesses are not
faced with the complexity and cost of having to adapt to the implications of
Brexit twice.

The UK will have significant decisions to make with regard to future State aid policy, as the EU’s extensive competence in this area leaves a limited national framework to fall back on. It is likely that the EU will insist on some form of State aid controls in any UK-EU Free Trade Agreement (FTA). If this is not case, the World Trade Organization’s (WTO) Agreement on Subsidies and Countervailing Measures (ASCM) would not represent an adequate alternative. The ASCM has no domestic application and therefore would not regulate State
aid within the UK, creating the risk of intra-UK subsidy races.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
What particular specifics of it would you like people to take note of? Do you have any opinions on the matter you'd like to share?

Shushersbedamned

What particular specifics of it would you like people to take note of? Do you have any opinions on the matter you'd like to share?
That quote? I had but I'm not in a place to go through it now so I just dumped it there as a new document. I might return to it or forget. So I guess I don't at this time.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
On what matter? What does it do that you're not a Brit? Nothing. Stop making excuses and holding on to futile principles and just read and tell yourself.
I was thinking that a Brit that would actually be affected by Brexit would be more informed then I would be after reading all the legalese you linked.
And futile principles? What futile principles are you referring to?

Altfish

Veteran Member
As a UK national I can assure you that getting hold of 'Facts' is nigh on impossible.

In the referendum campaign almost 2-years ago now The Remain camp was totally uninspiring, but then again all they were selling us was more of the same boring stuff. We were told by the Brexit side that it was all 'Project Fear'.
As banking companies start to bail out to Frankfurt, Project Fear is starting to become Project Reality.

Meanwhile Brexit promised us Unicorns and extra monies for the NHS.
They also told us we would get our 'Sovereignty' back - although no one I've spoken to knows what that means.
Trade deals would be easy - as would be the negotiations, so easy, two years is too long to sort things.
Needles to say the Northern Ireland border was not mentioned.

No one has told me what benefit we will get - and they must be significant as it was all going to be roses.

Now we have Cambridge Analytica, Russian interference, overspending by the Leave Campaign and the main spokespeople back tracking or coming out with, "Don't blame us; this isn't the sort of leave we should have gone for"

Yes, it is all going fine:eek:

Shushersbedamned

As a UK national I can assure you that getting hold of 'Facts' is nigh on impossible.

In the referendum campaign almost 2-years ago now The Remain camp was totally uninspiring, but then again all they were selling us was more of the same boring stuff. We were told by the Brexit side that it was all 'Project Fear'.
As banking companies start to bail out to Frankfurt, Project Fear is starting to become Project Reality.

Meanwhile Brexit promised us Unicorns and extra monies for the NHS.
They also told us we would get our 'Sovereignty' back - although no one I've spoken to knows what that means.
Trade deals would be easy - as would be the negotiations, so easy, two years is too long to sort things.
Needles to say the Northern Ireland border was not mentioned.

No one has told me what benefit we will get - and they must be significant as it was all going to be roses.

Now we have Cambridge Analytica, Russian interference, overspending by the Leave Campaign and the main spokespeople back tracking or coming out with, "Don't blame us; this isn't the sort of leave we should have gone for"

Yes, it is all going fine:eek:
You know it's all available in the European Unions web site? All if it. Except for the negotiations.

Shushersbedamned

I was thinking that a Brit that would actually be affected by Brexit would be more informed then I would be after reading all the legalese you linked.
And futile principles? What futile principles are you referring to?
No. They're generally not any more informed than people usually are. Very little informed. I just imagined that if I asked you why you don't tell yourself how it is you would have said "princible". It was just in my mind

Shushersbedamned

That is there was the problem with the end of Brexit that within European union they would have to make new contracts or something with the airlines and they feared that for the first half a year of it they wouldn't be able to have flights at all from and to the European union.

HonestJoe

That is there was the problem with the end of Brexit that within European union they would have to make new contracts or something with the airlines and they feared that for the first half a year of it they wouldn't be able to have flights at all from and to the European union.
That’s a good example of the wider situation really. The reason some people feared the possibility is because pretty much nothing is set in stone. The EU was never really designed with the prospect of any members leaving and even the infamous “Article 52” is very minimal and unspecific. There are thousands of different agreements, organisations and contracts in evolving the EU and the UK, none of which taking account of the possibility of the UK leaving the EU and so every single one of them requires individual and tailored work to resolve one way or another.

The added confusion comes from the partisan politics, with all sorts of different people spinning up or talking down the various potential problems (real or imagined) for their own political purposes. Pretty much everything in the public domain, even the formal reports and documents you refer to, will be presented with some element of bias or preference. I don’t think anyone can really react to anything until concrete plans and proposals actually start coming out in our various areas of expertise.

Altfish

Veteran Member
What does never fail to surprise me is the Leavers shock at the difficulty in leaving the EU. It was always going to be the case but the likes of Davis, Gove and Johnson insisted it would be easy.

Johnson is finally realising his folly, "Without...your ability to do things in a different way if you want and your ability to do free trade deals, there is very little point in Brexit" - wow he is finally working it out.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The UK is leaving the European union. It takes a whole lot of experts to analyse that. What you think of them is of no interest to me.
That's right we'll soon have that extra £350m for the NHS; no more foreigners sullying our shores and ability to change all those nasty EU laws.
Can't wait.
Trouble is, no one can tell me what actual benefit we can look forward to.

Shushersbedamned

That's right we'll soon have that extra £350m for the NHS; no more foreigners sullying our shores and ability to change all those nasty EU laws.
Can't wait.
Trouble is, no one can tell me what actual benefit we can look forward to.
So no benefits! Did you that that all by yourself?