• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breastfeeding and when to stop?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I feel compelled to reiterate my sentiment here after posting here and defending my choice to breastfeed as long as I did. I am not telling anyone here that this is THE way to care for an infant or toddler, or that if you didn't nourish your kid this way that you should feel guilty about it. :no:

My arguments come from a desire, as said before, to clear up what I believe to be misconceptions about extended nursing. I hope it's clear that I aim to educate, not to preach. :flower:

Peace,
Mystic

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
MysticSang'ha said:
Are you aware of these studies?

It isn't like nursing toddlers get empty calories when at the breast. They do continue to receive health benefits from extended nursing, albeit the benefits are not as pronounced as when they are infants.

No, I wasn't. When I nursed, I was told that only the first year was essential.

I should have said
that past age 2 it isn't as of much a benefit. I nursed my babies until year one and they are the healthiest kids I know. I don't think I could have nursed much past one year, nor were they interested in doing so as both are very independent and ready and wanting to do things for themselves by then.

Arabis

see me run
I probably would have nursed my daughter for as long as she wanted. She loved to for comfort to go to sleep at night. My OBGYN told me that I had to stop, since I was almost 12 weeks pregnant with my second. I wasn't gaining weight and I just wasn't getting enough nutrition for myself. With my son, the dentist told me that I was contributing to his cavities, or "bottle mouth" syndrome and to quit nursing so that he wouldn't have any more damage to his teeth. He was easy to wean at 12 months, but I wasn't really ready to give it up.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Maize said:

No, I wasn't. When I nursed, I was told that only the first year was essential.

I should have said
that past age 2 it isn't as of much a benefit. I nursed my babies until year one and they are the healthiest kids I know. I don't think I could have nursed much past one year, nor were they interested in doing so as both are very independent and ready and wanting to do things for themselves by then.

That's awesome, Maize. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Booko

Deviled Hen
Arabis said:
I probably would have nursed my daughter for as long as she wanted. She loved to for comfort to go to sleep at night. My OBGYN told me that I had to stop, since I was almost 12 weeks pregnant with my second. I wasn't gaining weight and I just wasn't getting enough nutrition for myself. With my son, the dentist told me that I was contributing to his cavities, or "bottle mouth" syndrome and to quit nursing so that he wouldn't have any more damage to his teeth. He was easy to wean at 12 months, but I wasn't really ready to give it up.

The bottle mouth syndrome can be prevented by just wiping the teeth with a damp rag after they're done nursing. It doesn't mean you have to wean.

Not gaining weight and being pregnant, now that I could see being an issue.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Booko said:
The bottle mouth syndrome can be prevented by just wiping the teeth with a damp rag after they're done nursing. It doesn't mean you have to wean.

Not gaining weight and being pregnant, now that I could see being an issue.

True that. I was monitored heavily after getting pregnant with Dana when Tyler was only 6 months old. I was lucky enough to gain weight gradually throughout like I was supposed to (I actually gained MORE weight the second time around than the first despite the fact that Tyler was still an avid nurser throughout my pregnancy).

I would encourage weaning, too, if there's no weight gain and your health and the health of your unborn child was in jeopardy.

Peace,
Mystic