• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking the Fast

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
How do you break your fast in the morning? I prefer to eat a bowl of yogurt, and granola with honey or Jam. I tend not to eat right away when I get up in the morning though, and prefer to eat after having been up for a couple of hours, and usually after a cup or two of coffee.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Are we talking about eating the next day after a fast, or breakfast in general?

If I actually fasted the day before, I will probably grab my morning soda and let it settle for awhile. I've found trying to eat initially after a day of fasting makes me feel crappy. I know, soda isn't good for me, but that's what I do. After I feel settled, I may have a piece of fruit, a carrot, or bit of yogurt. Something easy to digest, and that is enough to signify 'the fast is broken' to me.

If its breakfast...don't really eat it. I may take a bite off of something or another I've made for the kids, but I don't really like to eat in the morning.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know if it's a "fast" but I just eat a banana, eggs, maybe some rice (depending on how long I'm running), and water. I did fast one morning and ran a short distance. I found that works well too. If I didn't exercise, I'd probably have a full meal and go back to sleep.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I generally do not do breakfast so my fast breaking usually resembles more lunchtime foods. Sandwich, salads, pastas, fish, whatever.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Usually a couple of hours after i wake having first fed the cat, the stray cats (two have adopted me), topped up the bird feeder, woken the kids, fed them, made sure they are ready for school and slammed the door at their backs as they leave then i can spend a few minutes enjoying a bowl of cereal or muesli with fruit and a glass of orange juice.

Unless it's Thursday, then once the kids have gone hubby and i head for Sarlat to enjoy a french breakfast of white cheese followed by a pain au raisin and a bostock with fresh orange juice and completed with a very strong coffee to set us up for the supermarket.

Or weekend its still see to the animals before breakfast

exchemist

Veteran Member
How do you break your fast in the morning? I prefer to eat a bowl of yogurt, and granola with honey or Jam. I tend not to eat right away when I get up in the morning though, and prefer to eat after having been up for a couple of hours, and usually after a cup or two of coffee.
Either muesli with dried apricots, or grapefruit, toast, butter and marmalade/apricot jam (sometimes some orange juice) and, most importantly, in all cases, plenty of TEA. The tea is prepared and served in the English style (which comes I think from India), quite strong with a little milk. I make a blend of Darjeeling, Assam and add a tiny pinch of Lapsang Souchong to give a bit of smokiness.

(My son, however, being a teenager with a 4 mile cycle ride to and from school each day, will have cereal then bacon, egg - and occasionally supplementary black pudding - with toast - and tea, which he drinks from a half litre giant cup like something out of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.)

ChristineM

Premium Member
I often don't because I'm not hungry. Just tea. Does tea count?

Tea. Lots of tea.

Tea always counts

4405956.gif

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Usually, it's leftovers from the prior meal, so pizza, pasta, or whatever. (Cold pizza or cold lasagne are favorite breakfasts.) If there are no leftovers, then it's spinach and eggs or another egg dish.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Tea with kippered herrings on toast.
Very nice: tea goes particularly well with kippers - , but I don't really have that degree of appetite at breakfast these days, sad to say. I find even a boiled egg lies a bit heavy on the stomach until lunchtime.

I almost thought you must be British to eat that in the morning, except that almost nobody in Britain speaks of "kippered herrings".

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm technically not British, but considering I make a pretty mean British-style scone (none of that stupid icing on it like most in my country do) and have an entire cabinet full of tea... yeah. Walking into tea snob shops is kind of like this for me. It's a bit sad during the pandemic though - the local place doesn't let us do the smelling of everything anymore. I get it, but... man. That's the entire point of going to a local tea shop. To smell. All. The teas. ALL OF THEM.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'm technically not British, but considering I make a pretty mean British-style scone (none of that stupid icing on it like most in my country do) and have an entire cabinet full of tea... yeah. Walking into tea snob shops is kind of like this for me. It's a bit sad during the pandemic though - the local place doesn't let us do the smelling of everything anymore. I get it, but... man. That's the entire point of going to a local tea shop. To smell. All. The teas. ALL OF THEM.

I can see the pleasure in smelling the teas, i do the same with coffee.

Is it only black tea for you or will green tea satisfy just as well... At the moment i im rather taken with green tea with jasmine.

And scones too. Wow. I do a mean scone too, either with cherry or raisins. They are unknown in france so i bake some for meetings and they always go down well

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I can see the pleasure in smelling the teas, i do the same with coffee.

Is it only black tea for you or will green tea satisfy just as well... At the moment i im rather taken with green tea with jasmine.

How I wish I could do black tea...love the flavor, smell. I seem to have an intolerance or allergy to it, though. Even after a small amount, I get dry heaves, jitters, and heart palpitations. Its not the caffeine; I can do caffeine just fine. Wish I could remedy the situation...

ChristineM

Premium Member
How I wish I could do black tea...love the flavor, smell. I seem to have an intolerance or allergy to it, though. Even after a small amount, I get dry heaves, jitters, and heart palpitations. Its not the caffeine; I can do caffeine just fine. Wish I could remedy the situation...

That is terrible, perhaps you have an allergy to one of the components that make black tea what it is. Have you tried weening yourself, maybe a sip a day for a few weeks, then a little more and so on. I hear its successful at fighting allergies.