• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking the Chains

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
As today is World Mental Health Day, I would like to bring attention to the "Chain Free Initiative".

Breaking The Chains That Bind The Mentally Ill

Also, in order to bring awareness and further acceptance, and breaking the stigmas of, people with mental health conditions, feel free to share your Mental Health challenges and experiences if you're comfortable/willing to do so.

I personally have a history of Trauma resulting in (non-military/non-combat) PTSD. I added the caveats of not military because many people still associate PTSD with combat related injuries. I also take medication for General Anxiety Disorder, with Depressive symptoms.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Although we live in different countries I'm an unofficial carer for my brother in law who has schizophrenia. I'm available for him to call me any time day or night, i usually spend between 2 to 3 hours per day in phone contact with him.

He's been ill about 15 years with ups and downs that last several months or more and they dominate his life.

He is currently doing very well (comparatively) with a full time, responsible job after his last "bad time" two years ago when he lost his job, apartment, car, most of his belongings and tried to commit suicide rather than live on the street. Luckily we (several friends and i, police and mental health services) pulled him through and he got the help he needed. It took 18 months before he was stable enough to seek work again.

People dont realise that around 25% of the population suffer some sort of mental health issue at sometime in their lives and its usually has a long term impact on their lives.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I guess a lot of stuff* I shut off. Emotional abuse. Chronic depression. Seeing parent abuse. Stuff like that. Right now I live alone. I see a therapist. Meds are checked. And I can reflect. I'm debating if I should dig up the past so I can move on or let it be. Brother is homeless because of it. But mother is better now she is older. Some guilt issues but nothing I can really do being a non professional.

Good thread. I probably won't participate but congrats to those who do share.

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Well, I was always said to be on the autism spectrum, but I never really took it that seriously - and I am not saying that it shouldn't be, but that is how I approached it, I guess. The elementary school psychologist had recognized this in me from an early age, but my parents at that time did not accept it. I had engaged in some fairly unusual behavior at that time however, chewing on my shirt, and acting like a dinosaur or other animal, telling jokes when it was not appropriate. The psychologist would have to take me out of class to analyze when I did things that were unusual, and sometimes to work out my energy and have me jump on a little trampoline.. I must have done something particularly off one time, because I remember she broke down in tears once.. Also, I could sometimes be easily subverted into poor behavior by the other kids.. I remember one time as a small kid, some other kids actually convinced me to throw a rock at a girl..

Some of these behaviors might also be attributed to the fact that my dad was a pretty bad alcoholic, as that likely can make for an atypical environment for development. But the degree to which this played a role, as opposed to the 'autism' I supposedly have, is uncertain, or impossible to tell. Certainly it's likely that this wouldn't help ameliorate the problems of an autistic kid, in any case. (Eventually diabetes made him quit)

Anyway, my high school experience was fairly alienating as well, but I gained the knowledge to be a musician, and by the end of it I started to learn to work hard to get better grades. The arc of my development taught to me to value hard work, as I spent the summers doing farm labor, which I learned to enjoy. Now I am a material handler, and am in charge of a lot of the production flow in the plant I work at, oftentimes taking a management role as well.

As far as I'm concerned, I think I have it under control, whatever the problem is or was. I am not looking for advice on what to do with myself. It had never really been something I thought about until recent years anyway, as this kind of thing is only now starting to sort of capture media attention. If anything, I almost see it as having a possible 'advantage' in the case where it doesn't overwhelm the person it affects, as you can work on peering through a unique perceptual door in human reality. I guess

Unfortunately, I have a younger brother who also supposedly has the condition, but I am concerned about the road he's going down. I am hoping that he will change his values soon, or work toward that. I try to go for walks with him to talk about all kinds of things, and try to nudge him into better views of things, but I don't know how effective I can be. My understanding and wisdom are limited, but I don't want him to end up in jail, or getting into fights. His habit is to go through lots of jobs, and they say he's treated his girlfriends poorly sometimes.. He often does not seem to value stability, and it is very stressful to see. I think sometimes that maybe he should just go traveling, but I don't want push that view outright, as that seems like a cruel thing to say. But if you don't value stability, what can you do

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
As today is World Mental Health Day, I would like to bring attention to the "Chain Free Initiative".

Breaking The Chains That Bind The Mentally Ill

Also, in order to bring awareness and further acceptance, and breaking the stigmas of, people with mental health conditions, feel free to share your Mental Health challenges and experiences if you're comfortable/willing to do so.

I personally have a history of Trauma resulting in (non-military/non-combat) PTSD. I added the caveats of not military because many people still associate PTSD with combat related injuries. I also take medication for General Anxiety Disorder, with Depressive symptoms.
May you find the peace you need! Our hearts are with you!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've struggled with two mental health things but honestly the main one to me was gender dysphoria. I had to make the difficult choice of having my conservative/religious family mad at me and getting on Hormone Replacement Therapy, or my family being fine with me. I chose having my family mad / not understanding and the worst thing about the choice was the fear that they wouldn't get over it, but they did. While I may still some day have the challenges that some transgender women say they do, like physical growing pains, myself using Hormone Replacement Therapy has already decreased my anxiety and seems to have even decreased my blood pressure 10-20 points going in a better direction from what I can tell, already.