• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking Bad

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm rewatching it again, this is at least the fifth time I've rewatched it. And it certainly won't be the last.

This is the greatest show ever made. Greatest story in general that I've ever heard, out of any book or movie or anything! Hands down. All around perfectly well crafted. Every episode has something that makes you go "ooh" and "ahh". and there are so many plot points that are so original, so unpredicted, and very clever how the story just unfolded to line up to them!

I can't imagine anything ever living up to this. I've yet to find any piece of art this beautiful.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm rewatching it again, this is at least the fifth time I've rewatched it. And it certainly won't be the last.

This is the greatest show ever made. Greatest story in general that I've ever heard, out of any book or movie or anything! Hands down. All around perfectly well crafted. Every episode has something that makes you go "ooh" and "ahh". and there are so many plot points that are so original, so unpredicted, and very clever how the story just unfolded to line up to them!

I can't imagine anything ever living up to this. I've yet to find any piece of art this beautiful.
Even the fly episode?
Just kidding. I love Breaking Bad.

We Never Know

No Slack

Never seen it. What's it about?

The Sum of Awe

Never seen it. What's it about?
To overly summarize, it's a crime drama/dark comedy/character drama about a high school chemistry teacher who gets lung cancer - he reflects on his life and sees that he's "never really had a say in any of it" (his own words). He wants to make money for his family, but his pride and ego wants to earn it himself. He uses his chemistry knowledge to make meth, and it proves to be the highest quality meth the streets have ever seen. He works with one of his old students.

Over the course of the series his character changes drastically from an under-accomplished family man to practically Scarface. He encounters various colorful enemies and obstacles, overcomes them in very clever ways.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
It’s definitely a show I enjoyed… but I wouldn’t call it the greatest story ever made. In my own personal opinion… the stories that stand out the most, I experienced through gaming… such as Mass Effect, Legend of Zelda, Elder Scrolls, Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout, Dark Souls and Elden Ring, Final Fantasy, Shadow Hearts, Destiny, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, and more.

As far as television shows… Attack on Titan, aka Shingeki no Kyojin. The source material was just as good… but the anime truly brought the manga to life.

Religious stories? The Bible… in its entirety. The Enuma Eliš. The Descent of Ištar. The Iliad.

Breaking Bad is awesome though.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Breaking Bad was great.

I think the period between the mid 2000s and the beginning of the 2010s was something of a golden age for serial TV shows. We had:

--- Breaking Bad
--- American Horror Story
--- Rome
--- Deadwood
--- Downton Abbey
--- Parks and Recreation
--- The Walking Dead (first few seasons)
--- Game of Thrones
--- The Tudors
--- Suits
--- Boardwalk Empire
(no doubt I'm forgetting a few)

I mean they're still putting out some decent shows now, but nothing as binge-worthy as any of the shows on that list.

F1fan

Veteran Member

I'm watching the BrBa universe in chronoligical order, and that means watching Better Call Saul through the first 5 seasons and then watching Breaking Bad all the way though, and then picking up BCS in the Gene time, and then El Camino in there somewhere.

I was a fan from the beginning. Afyter hearing an interview on npr of Vince Gilligan talking about this new show. I don't watch much TV but I had to see this. It did not disappoint. I loved following the story of how they made the show, too. That was as interesting as the show itself. Jesse was to be killed off in the first season and ended up being the only one to get out and escape.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Breaking Bad was great.

I think the period between the mid 2000s and the beginning of the 2010s was something of a golden age for serial TV shows. We had:

--- Breaking Bad
--- Rome
--- Deadwood
--- Downton Abbey
--- Parks and Recreation
--- Game of Thrones
--- The Tudors
--- Suits
--- Boardwalk Empire

I mean they're still putting out some decent shows now, but nothing as binge-worthy as any of the shows on that list.
You left out some of my favorites.
To name a couple...
- The Wire <-- Up there with Breaking Bad
- The Corner <-- Prequel to The Wire
- The Expanse <-- Epic
- Mr Robot <-- Intrigue
- Chernobyl <-- Terrifying
- The X-Files <-- Mysterious & sometimes hilarious.
- Better Call Saul <-- Wonderful
- The Venture Brothers <-- Classic hilarity & parody
- Pushing Dasies <-- Bizarre humor.
- The Mike Tyson Mysteries <-- Norm MacDonald & Mike Tyson together
- Archer <-- Hilarious
- The Simpsons (1st decade)
- Fargo <-- Compelling
- Westworld <-- Richly detailed & compelling
- House Of Cards <-- Intrigue
- Homeland <-- Compelling
- 24 <-- Gripping & grisly
- Dexter <-- Rooting for the serial killer hero
- Twin Peaks <-- Not including the hideous re-boot
- The Shield <-- Gritty & memorable
- Justified <-- Margot Martindale rules
- Arrested Development <-- Hilarious
- Seinfeld <-- Hilarious
- The Americans <-- Chilling
- 30 Rock <-- Hilarious
- The Office (Brit version)
- Orange Is The New Black
- Lilyhammer <-- Interesting
- The Man In The High Castle <-- Nazis!
- Legion <-- Bizarre & fascinating.
- Family Guy <-- Stewie & Brian
- Ozark <-- Hillbilly version of Breaking Bad
- Billions <-- Stylish & fascinating
- Pee Wee's Playhouse <-- Pee Wee Herman!

The Sum of Awe

Breaking Bad was great.

--- Breaking Bad
--- Rome
--- Deadwood
--- Downton Abbey
--- Parks and Recreation
--- Game of Thrones
--- The Tudors
--- Suits
--- Boardwalk Empire

Out of those that you listed, I've only seen Game of Thrones and Walking Dead - both were amazing. I'll look into some of those others that you listed. I also saw the Apocalypse season of AHS and didn't very much enjoy it, but maybe it's because it's a later season? GoT and Walking Dead really flunked in their later seasons.

The Sum of Awe

I'm watching the BrBa universe in chronoligical order, and that means watching Better Call Saul through the first 5 seasons and then watching Breaking Bad all the way though, and then picking up BCS in the Gene time, and then El Camino in there somewhere.

I was a fan from the beginning. Afyter hearing an interview on npr of Vince Gilligan talking about this new show. I don't watch much TV but I had to see this. It did not disappoint. I loved following the story of how they made the show, too. That was as interesting as the show itself. Jesse was to be killed off in the first season and ended up being the only one to get out and escape.
I really enjoyed Better Call Saul, but I felt the ending wasn’t as good as it could’ve been. It was good nonetheless, but it didn’t live up to Felina.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I really enjoyed Better Call Saul, but I felt the ending wasn’t as good as it could’ve been. It was good nonetheless, but it didn’t live up to Felina.
I liked the low key ending because it was unexpected,
yet it fit the characters. It would'a been wrong to copy
the over-the-top ending of Breaking Bad.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You left out some of my favorites.
To name a couple...
- The Wire <-- Up there with Breaking Bad
- The Corner <-- Prequel to The Wire
- The Expanse <-- Epic
- Mr Robot <-- Intrigue
- Chernobyl <-- Terrifying
- The X-Files <-- Mysterious & sometimes hilarious.
- Better Call Saul <-- Wonderful
- The Venture Brothers <-- Classic hilarity & parody
- Pushing Dasies <-- Bizarre humor.
- The Mike Tyson Mysteries <-- Norm MacDonald & Mike Tyson together
- Archer <-- Hilarious
- The Simpsons (1st decade)
- Fargo <-- Compelling
- Westworld <-- Richly detailed & compelling
- House Of Cards <-- Intrigue
- Homeland <-- Compelling
- 24 <-- Gripping & grisly
- Dexter <-- Rooting for the serial killer hero
- Twin Peaks <-- Not including the hideous re-boot
- The Shield <-- Gritty & memorable
- Justified <-- Margot Martindale rules
- Arrested Development <-- Hilarious
- Seinfeld <-- Hilarious
- The Americans <-- Chilling
- 30 Rock <-- Hilarious
- The Office (Brit version)
- Orange Is The New Black
- Lilyhammer <-- Interesting
- The Man In The High Castle <-- Nazis!
- Legion <-- Bizarre & fascinating.
- Family Guy <-- Stewie & Brian
- Ozark <-- Hillbilly version of Breaking Bad
- Billions <-- Stylish & fascinating
- Pee Wee's Playhouse <-- Pee Wee Herman!

As long as that list is, the only shows that I have any real familiarity with (aside from all the animated shows you listed which I agree were great) are Seinfeld (one of the greatest shows of all time), Pushing Daisies (which I might have put on the list if I had thought of it) and the Expanse (which I liked the lot, but don't consider to be in the same league as these other shows).

We seem to have similar tastes though, so I'm going to use your list as a reference when I go looking for new shows to binge on. :thumbsup:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As long as that list is, the only shows that I have any real familiarity with (aside from all the animated shows you listed which I agree were great) are Seinfeld (one of the greatest shows of all time), Pushing Daisies (which I might have put on the list if I had thought of it) and the Expanse (which I liked the lot, but don't consider to be in the same league as these other shows).

We seem to have similar tastes though, so I'm going to use your list as a reference when I go looking for new shows to binge on. :thumbsup:
That list is the tip of the iceberg I enjoy.
They're just favorites, but not all of the same rank.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I also saw the Apocalypse season of AHS and didn't very much enjoy it, but maybe it's because it's a later season
That season tied up a lot of loose ends from previous seasons and resurrected and/or revisited some of the old characters, so it's understandable that someone who just started watching wouldn't have gotten as much out of it as someone who'd been watching from the beginning.

It's funny because I started watching that season before I'd seen most of the other seasons and I only got halfway through it before I said, "blah, whatever" and went and watched something else.

I didn't get back to it until I'd exhausted all of the other seasons, and then I went back to it expecting it to be a drudge, but with the other seasons for context it was actually all right.

The Sum of Awe

That season tied up a lot of loose ends from previous seasons and resurrected and/or revisited some of the old characters, so it's understandable that someone who just started watching wouldn't have gotten as much out of it as someone who'd been watching from the beginning.

It's funny because I started watching that season before I'd seen most of the other seasons and I only got halfway through it before I said, "blah, whatever" and went and watched something else.

I didn't get back to it until I'd exhausted all of the other seasons, and then I went back to it expecting it to be a drudge, but with the other seasons for context it was actually all right.
Hmm, I'll have to give it a try sometime then, from the beginning.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm, I'll have to give it a try sometime then, from the beginning.
My favorite season was 4: Freak Show.

It's about a traveling carnival freak show, and it's one of those seasons that doesn't tie in with the other seasons (except in a very minor way) so it's good as a standalone.

The Sum of Awe

What are your favorite scenes in the whole series?

I'd say this is one of mine: