• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brain Size and Consciousness

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If consciousness is tied to a brain, why are Cetacea and
Elephantidae not the predominant species on earth? are smaller people not as intelligent as larger people?

why are homo sapiens with smaller brains the predominant species?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Elephantidae not the predominant species on earth? are smaller people not as intelligent as larger people?

First whose to say they aren't. There is no accurate measure of intelligence. Intelligence is also not consciousness.

Also the first computers took up a room and today's computer's fit in a watch. Due to advancement in technology. Is it possible that the human brain evolving differently than the elephant brain has better technology.

Bear Wild

Whales dolphins and elephants are conscious creatures and intelligent. A large part of elephant brain is associated with their extensive muscle coordination including the complex musculature of the trunk. Brain size is also relative to general size. But the question of predominance is not just a question of brain size or intelligence but related to the fact that humans have hands to manipulate things. It was the combination of large frontal cortex and ability to manipulate that gave humans their advantage. If frontal cortex increase in another ape is selected for as an advantage then they could also gain predominance as predicted by planet of the apes. Personally I am rooting for raccoons who I watch every night. If they can survive mans destructive behavior they too may become predominant and we can make a movie called planet of the raccoons.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The brain is used for many things, consciousness takes is only a tiny fraction.

Consciousness is not about power or cunning, it seems to be about awareness of environment. I would suggest that most animals are aware of there environment to some degree.

And the size argument, it's not the size but how you use what you have got.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
First whose to say they aren't. There is no accurate measure of intelligence. Intelligence is also not consciousness.

Also the first computers took up a room and today's computer's fit in a watch. Due to advancement in technology. Is it possible that the human brain evolving differently than the elephant brain has better technology.

so why then do 10 people having the same brain not have the same level of intelligence, or consciousness?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so why then do 10 people having the same brain not have the same level of intelligence, or consciousness?
no two people will be the same....even if the equipment is identical

you were born there
I was born here

I remember black and white tv.....three channels
maybe you do too

my life was stressed by many factors
maybe your life was easy?

so....I would be aware...and more intelligent
(hehehehe)
and for lack of up and about
you might not be

it's not the brain size
it's what you do with it

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Complexity of the brain structure needs to be considered in addition to size.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Does the conscious sit in our brain? or is it actually not in our brain at all (the brain is a receiver is it not?)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If my understanding is correct it is anchored there but not permanently
I have been blind seven days
did not stop 'seeing'

known my arms to be unresponsive
but did not stop 'feeling'

and every night I escape this world to another

and some day.....I won't come back

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Spiritual teachings are not always testable from a scientific view. Because not everything in spiritual teaching is within this physical realm we experience as human beings.

A claim made without testable evidence can be dismissed without testable evidence.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A claim made without testable evidence can be dismissed without testable evidence.
For those who cultivate a spiritual teaching the evidence arise when we realize the truth within the teaching, then we understand how it actually is, but science only work within this physical realm, so yes Science can not prove religion or cultivation teachings