• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brahmotsavam 2022

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Our little community got back at it post-covid. A few folks still wore masks, and the crowd was smaller than in previous years, but the 10 day festival concludes tonight with the festival flag coming down. It's good to be back at it, as Covid had quite the effect on the temple. It's now open every day again, and slowly the crowds are returning. They've changed the way food is served. Instead of a sit down together lunch, the lunch packets are pre-packaged, and people take them home. I like this system better. Less mess, less visiting, less confusion, less traffic in the too small space. Sunday crowds I here are around 300, down from the average of 500 pre-covid.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Our little community got back at it post-covid. A few folks still wore masks, and the crowd was smaller than in previous years, but the 10 day festival concludes tonight with the festival flag coming down. It's good to be back at it, as Covid had quite the effect on the temple. It's now open every day again, and slowly the crowds are returning. They've changed the way food is served. Instead of a sit down together lunch, the lunch packets are pre-packaged, and people take them home. I like this system better. Less mess, less visiting, less confusion, less traffic in the too small space. Sunday crowds I here are around 300, down from the average of 500 pre-covid.

So happy to hear things are up and running, and so happy to hear from you, too!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
At the risk of derailing your thread, I'm glad you did. Good to see you're still around and well.

Personally, I hope you stick around. Not the same here without you.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You, Just George and others held the Hinduism fort down in my absence I presume. I doubt I will stay very long, just seems there is nothing to say. But I figured I should drop by. A whim I guess.

I'm glad that when you did have something to say, you stopped here to say it. :)

Its been quieter than normal. Both in the Hindu forums, and in the site in general.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm glad that when you did have something to say, you stopped here to say it. :)

Its been quieter than normal. Both in the Hindu forums, and in the site in general.
I think that in life, in specific areas of mind (like religion) you just run the gamut of topics to be discussed, and then, if you have nothing else to say, you start repeating all the previous stuff. I probably read the same arguments about certain things here at least 10 times, before realising that repetition is a waste of time. At least current events, locally or otherwise, as in the topic of this thread, are new. I'd look at it some days without signing on, and see nothing new at all, and lots of repetition.

So how's the Madrid temple? (Did I get that right?) Have you been lately?
Salix, have you made it to a Cleveland temple yet, or has Vedanta philosophy been everything you need to meet your needs?

My latest worldly sadhana activity has been to observe observation in people, and WOW! is there ever a huge variety in that ability. We have one woman at our temple who has incredible skill at it. She's a volunteer helper, and can stand, take one sweep of the complicated puja scene with her eyes, and go directly to a spot where some help is needed. Others, although they 're also standing there, seem oblivious to the entire thing. A Canada goose could fly into the temple doors, land on the kodimaram, and they wouldn't notice. it's an amazing study the observation of observation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I learned today the true inner meaning of the water-cutting ceremony. It's one of the last rituals in the 10 day festival. Up to that point, the temple itself is being purified, by mantras, abhishekhams, etc, but the water cutting ceremony is there to purify all the devotees. The abhishekham water from the yagasala miniature kodimaram is used to sprinkle (more like pour in some cases) on all the devotees. The priest happily poured two full smaller kumbhams on yours truly. I got soaked, and need to wash my hair still.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I think that in life, in specific areas of mind (like religion) you just run the gamut of topics to be discussed, and then, if you have nothing else to say, you start repeating all the previous stuff. I probably read the same arguments about certain things here at least 10 times, before realising that repetition is a waste of time. At least current events, locally or otherwise, as in the topic of this thread, are new. I'd look at it some days without signing on, and see nothing new at all, and lots of repetition.

So how's the Madrid temple? (Did I get that right?) Have you been lately?
Salix, have you made it to a Cleveland temple yet, or has Vedanta philosophy been everything you need to meet your needs?

My latest worldly sadhana activity has been to observe observation in people, and WOW! is there ever a huge variety in that ability. We have one woman at our temple who has incredible skill at it. She's a volunteer helper, and can stand, take one sweep of the complicated puja scene with her eyes, and go directly to a spot where some help is needed. Others, although they 're also standing there, seem oblivious to the entire thing. A Canada goose could fly into the temple doors, land on the kodimaram, and they wouldn't notice. it's an amazing study the observation of observation.

I agree, things just repeat. Not just on forums, but everywhere. Current events refresh, but often the mindsets regarding them stay the same to a point you already know the commentary before its happened. Personal events are interesting; usually the most varied and most unpredictable.

I haven't gotten to the temple since Holi. A combination of gas prices rising and Covid cleaning us out financially haven't made the four hour round trip something we can do often. We found this temple, which is closer,: https://www.iowahindutemple.org/ but when we went it was closed(despite it saying it was open online). I have a bit of trouble navigating the site, I think. I see the priest is out right now; I'd like to try going at another point in the future.

I've never heard anyone state it like that; observation of observation, but it can be fascinating. I think I went so many years being unable to speak(because of social anxiety) it became somewhat of a second nature.
I learned today the true inner meaning of the water-cutting ceremony. It's one of the last rituals in the 10 day festival. Up to that point, the temple itself is being purified, by mantras, abhishekhams, etc, but the water cutting ceremony is there to purify all the devotees. The abhishekham water from the yagasala miniature kodimaram is used to sprinkle (more like pour in some cases) on all the devotees. The priest happily poured two full smaller kumbhams on yours truly. I got soaked, and need to wash my hair still.

I haven't heard of the water cutting ceremony. Got any examples of what that looks like?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree, things just repeat. Not just on forums, but everywhere. Current events refresh, but often the mindsets regarding them stay the same to a point you already know the commentary before its happened. Personal events are interesting; usually the most varied and most unpredictable.

I haven't gotten to the temple since Holi. A combination of gas prices rising and Covid cleaning us out financially haven't made the four hour round trip something we can do often. We found this temple, which is closer,: https://www.iowahindutemple.org/ but when we went it was closed(despite it saying it was open online). I have a bit of trouble navigating the site, I think. I see the priest is out right now; I'd like to try going at another point in the future.

I've never heard anyone state it like that; observation of observation, but it can be fascinating. I think I went so many years being unable to speak(because of social anxiety) it became somewhat of a second nature.

I haven't heard of the water cutting ceremony. Got any examples of what that looks like?

http://www.mahaganapathytemple.com/frames.html The water cutting ceremony is about 3/4 down the long list of images. It's the ones with a childrens swimming pool substituting for a tank. That is from 3 or 4 years ago.

Sorry, the link didn't work quite right, but if you click on photographs, there are nice phots from all the annual festivals for the last 10 years or so.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
http://www.mahaganapathytemple.com/frames.html The water cutting ceremony is about 3/4 down the long list of images. It's the ones with a childrens swimming pool substituting for a tank. That is from 3 or 4 years ago.

Sorry, the link didn't work quite right, but if you click on photographs, there are nice phots from all the annual festivals for the last 10 years or so.

Found it!

Looks like it was an amazing event!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Found it!

Looks like it was an amazing event!
Yes, it is always amazing. People drop their lives for this event, and take holidays. I only managed to get to all the morning sessions. Today's events went from 7-1 in the AM, and tonight will be 5 - 10 or later. It gets pretty draining but in a good way. There are many highlights, like the ther. A friend of mine and I often do rolling pradakshina right behind the ther. I got nauseous this time, and have a sore rib cage today. Nothing quite like it for feeling rough on the outside and good on the inside.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Namaste Vinayaka ji,

I was so happy to read your post! But then, you say your presence is just temporary, and again that bit of disappointment. But I am not the one to ask you to do what you might not feel like for sadhana and personal joy with participation are foremost. Nevertheless happy to acknowledge your post. Wish you happy advance Vinayaka Chaturthi! I am looking forward eagerly to Janmashtami. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The priest happily poured two full smaller kumbhams on yours truly. I got soaked, and need to wash my hair still.
That reminds me of Ramewhwaram. You need to be pure to visit. So ..

the-main-attraction-for-pilgrims-is-a-22stationsshowercircle-all-picture-id158657843
the-main-attraction-for-pilgrims-is-a-22stationsshowercircle-all-picture-id158657846
Gandhamadana-Theertham.jpg

http://www.mahaganapathytemple.com/frames.html Sorry, the link didn't work quite right, but if you click on photographs, there are nice photos from all the annual festivals for the last 10 years or so.
Yeah, the photographs are clear and interesting.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Namaste Vinayaka ji,

I was so happy to read your post! But then, you say your presence is just temporary, and again that bit of disappointment. But I am not the one to ask you to do what you might not feel like for sadhana and personal joy with participation are foremost. Nevertheless happy to acknowledge your post. Wish you happy advance Vinayaka Chaturthi! I am looking forward eagerly to Janmashtami. :)
Chaturthi is early this year, very soon, August 30. We will have a TON of marigolds ready for Him. But since it's not on a weekend, the crowd will be less. Have great celebrations yourself.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've done the wells of Rameswaram. It's an interesting tour, but joyous, as you can see in your pictures.