• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brahman v. Maya in a nutshell

ajay0

Brahman is not a concept but pure consciousness.

Human consciousness purified of its vasanas ( that generate cravings/aversions) by spiritual exercises is capable of perceiving Brahman as it is.

Here I must say the essence of the teachings of other religions are in this direction as well....

An example is that of the bible...

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" (Matthew 5:8)

The heart is also synonymous with consciousness, as per the Yoga Vasistha. So purification of consciousness is what is taught in the Bible as well for the perception of God.

What is Heart? It is the Reality. - Sri Ramana Maharshi

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Consciousness is a thing; a stuff. It has features; gunas.
"Neti, neti."

"Consciousness" is a word. So is "concept." So is "Brahman." Call it "pure consciousness;" call it "Brahman;" call it a "concept." It's what the word points to that matters.

The reason one tries (and fails) to describe Brahman is because there is no word to accurately describe it. How do you describe what isn't a "thing?" A "concept" is still a thing.

Brahman is what one is after everything is dropped and after the veil falls.

The Crimson Universe

The heart is also synonymous with consciousness

The Heart or Hridaya, (from what I've come to know after going thru a few articles and discussion posts in other sites) is that it itself is not the Universal Consciousness. The heart is instead the seat of Universal Consciousness. It is the chamber or sheath which encapsulates Brahman/Atman. It is most probably the anandamaya kosha or causal body as some have speculated which encapsulates the drop of Brahman.
I posted about this here on RF in 2018, in one of the threads. :)

ajay0

The Heart or Hridaya, (from what I've come to know after going thru a few articles and discussion posts in other sites) is that it itself is not the Universal Consciousness. The heart is instead the seat of Universal Consciousness. It is the chamber or sheath which encapsulates Brahman/Atman. It is most probably the anandamaya kosha or causal body as some have speculated which encapsulates the drop of Brahman.
I posted about this here on RF in 2018, in one of the threads. :)

Yes, Ramana Maharshi had elaborated on it here....

“The Heart is used in the Vedas and the scriptures to denote the place whence the notion ‘I’ springs. Does it spring only from the fleshy ball? It springs within us somewhere right in the middle of our being. The ‘I’ has no location. Everything is the Self. There is nothing but that.

So the Heart must be said to be the entire body of ourselves and of the entire universe, conceived as ‘I’. But to help the practiser we have to indicate a definite part of the Universe, or of the Body. So this Heart is pointed out as the seat of the Self. But in truth we are everywhere, we are all that is, and there is nothing else.” ~ Ramana Maharshi ( From 'Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi', Talk 29)