• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brahman v. Maya in a nutshell

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Real v. Unreal?
Consciousness v. Appearance to consciousness?
Impersonal v. Personal
Stillness v. Movement?

What's your take?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you're still stuck on Brahman and Maya being dichotomous, as with the Abrahamic notion of God vs Satan. Brahman and Maya are not separate "entities" (for lack of a better term).

Brahman is the highest principle...the ultimate reality. All is Brahman, including Maya.

Maya is that which creates the illusion that the phenomenal world is real, and Maya exists within Brahman. It is what keeps a person in the bondage of samsara through avidya by way of attachment to attributes appearing in time, space, and causation.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Real v. Unreal?
Impersonal v. Personal
Stillness v. Movement?

What's your take?
Maya is the set of actions, beliefs, habits, perceptual and conceptual filters that come to being due to incorrect understanding of the true nature of the Self/Absolute Reality.
Maya is the barking of the dog at its reflections which it believes is another dog.

shivsomashekhar

Maya is the set of actions, beliefs, habits, perceptual and conceptual filters that come to being due to incorrect understanding of the true nature of the Self/Absolute Reality.

Who has understood incorrectly? The statement indicates this entity is outside Maya. Is there room for such entities in a non-dual system?

Maya is the barking of the dog at its reflections which it believes is another dog.

Again, the statement indicates the barking dog is outside Maya. Is there room for such entities in a non-dual system?

The Crimson Universe

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

“Exists” was a poor choice of words on my part. “Appears” is more accurate.

Do you think its proper to use the below example to explain brahman and maya. It just popped up in my head while i was contemplating :=)
A man in deep sleep or coma, doesn't move a limb (remains absolutely still and actionless just like the actionless Brahman) and yet in his dreams he's flying like superman, fighting villains etc. (which are unreal just like the illusions of maya)
... So, will it be fair to say that all this multiplicity, appearances, happiness and sorrow etc. are just OUR (BRAHMAN's) dreams, while Brahman ITSELF, when seen from an absolute/paramarthika P.O.V, is not moving an inch or doing a single work.o_O

Last edited:

ajay0

I like Sayak's analogy of a dog barking at its own shadow.

The analogy of the rope being mistaken for a snake is also used in this regard.

As Ramana stated, the mind is Maya. It is just the imagination and emotional involvement that constitutes maya.

One sees a rope on the ground in semi-darkness. Past psychological fears combined with imagination create images of a snake where there is none, and one believes there is a snake.

Similarly one may suffer from errors of perception due to ignorance and raag-dvesh or emotions generated by the mind of cravings and aversions, resulting in poor judgement and action. As per Bertrand Russell," The degree of one's emotions varies inversely with one's knowledge of the facts."

If one had seen the rope as it is through torchlight, the mind would not have been hijacked by emotions of aversion and fear.

ADHYAASA - Analogy of the Rope and the Snake

From the point of view of actual reality (paaramaarthika), only the rope is real, the snake does not exist. For a perceiver who sees a snake, that snake is 'relatively' real (vyaavahaarika) and causes as much mental suffering as would a truly real snake. There only ever was a rope but the ignorance of this in the mind of the perceiver creates the illusion of a snake and the suffering follows. Once light (i.e. the light of knowledge) is introduced, the mistaken perception of the particular part is corrected; the unreal snake disappears and the real rope is revealed. The associated fear etc. also disappears.

What has happened is that a valid means of enquiry has been undertaken into the nature of the particular part to reveal the truth of the matter. The valid means of enquiry in this example was the torchlight. It was appropriate because the mistake was brought about by the dim light. Prayer or meditation would not have been appropriate and would not have revealed the rope. The method has to be appropriate to the nature of the error. Since ignorance of our true nature is the reason for samsaara, the appropriate means of enquiry for removing the error is self-knowledge. ~ Amit Kumar

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think its proper to use the below example to explain brahman and maya. It just popped up in my head while i was contemplating :=)
A man in deep sleep or coma, doesn't move a limb (remains absolutely still and actionless just like the actionless Brahman) and yet in his dreams he's flying like superman, fighting villains etc. (which are unreal just like the illusions of Maya)

A man in deep sleep or a coma likely isn't dreaming. Dreaming typically occurs in REM sleep.

But yes, the dream analogy is often used as an aid in learning to understand the nature of Maya.

... So, will it be fair to say that all this multiplicity, appearances, happiness and sorrow etc. are just OUR (BRAHMAN's) dreams, while Brahman ITSELF, when seen from an absolute/paramarthika P.O.V, is not moving an inch or doing a single work.o_O

Who sees? ;)

shivsomashekhar

and

There is no such thing as Maya

How do you reconcile these statements?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Real v. Unreal?
Impersonal v. Personal
Stillness v. Movement?

What's your take?
Real vs. Unreal.

But then answers by Salix, Shivsomashekhar and Sayak are better than mine. There is only one reality, the other is only perception.
This is what some of us are trying to wrap our minds around. :oops: I guess we'll never know. lol.
I think these people know. You include uncertainty by choice. :D

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maya's not a "thing." Maya is illusion; a misapprehension. Maya is what makes this two dimensional pattern appear to have depth:
iu

The depth is all in your head.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Brahman is just the timeless, changeless, "is-ness" of Reality. It's a concept that can't be grasped by normal human consciousness. It's like trying to picture a six dimensional object in your mind -- can't be done. There are, of course, many attempted examples and explanations -- mainly by us Hindu types -- but, in the end, it's always "not this, not that."

Last edited:

ajay0

I meant that Maya is not a substance or thing that exists. It's more like a perceptual and behavioural phenomena.

Like a mirage, I would say.

Due to an optical phenomenon, one erroneously perceives things where there is none, such as seeing an oasis in a desert when in actually there is nothing but sands.

ajay0

It's a concept that can't be grasped by normal human consciousness.
"

Brahman is not a concept but pure consciousness.

Human consciousness purified of its vasanas ( that generate cravings/aversions) by spiritual exercises is capable of perceiving Brahman as it is.

Consciousness minus conceptualization is the eternal Brahman the absolute; consciousness plus conceptualization is thought. ~ Yoga Vasistha

Thinking and consciousness are not synonymous. Thinking is only a small aspect of consciousness. Thought cannot exist without consciousness, but consciousness does not need thought. ~ Eckhart Tolle