• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brahman and Monotheism

Terry Sampson

Tell me, how it was at the moment universe began?
There never was a moment in which the universe, as a whole, did not exist. And there is never a subset of time greater than an instant in which it remains precisely, exactly the same.
The ancient Greek, Heraclitus, wrote something like"You cannot step into the same stream twice." To paraphrase him, I say: "You cannot step into the same universe twice."

Terry Sampson

To paraphrase him, I say: "You cannot step into the same universe twice."
Now that I think about it, that's an inept/inapt paraphrase. We are never "out of the universe; ergo stepping into one once is an impossibility, equally so, stepping into the same universe twice. Instead, I suppose, I should say: no one is in a universe for more than an instant, because the universe is always undergoing change. Any "sameness", I suspect, is illusion: Maya, no?

TravisJC

I'd like to hear more about this.

I worship Lord Shiv as Brahman himself. Lord Shiv is the formless face of the supreme being and his Shakti acts as the power in which created all things. Most Hindus do not hold this to be true because Lord Shiva could possibly be someones chosen deity (ishtaDeva) or simply another face to Brahman. Lord Shiv and his Shakti are inseparable, they are one, even if at first glance they seem to be two separate power, entities, being etc.

shiva_shakti.jpg

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I worship Lord Shiv as Brahman himself. Lord Shiv is the formless face of the supreme being and his Shakti acts as the power in which created all things. Most Hindus do not hold this to be true because Lord Shiva could possibly be someones chosen deity (ishtaDeva) or simply another face to Brahman. Lord Shiv and his Shakti are inseparable, they are one, even if at first glance they seem to be two separate power, entities, being etc.

shiva_shakti.jpg
Fascinating all these varieties. It's a wonder that Hindus get along with each other.

TravisJC

Fascinating all these varieties. It's a wonder that Hindus get along with each other.

And oh the varieties! :eek:

As a westerner growing up in a strict Catholic house Hinduism definitely turned my world upside down when I started my journey. I am of the Saivite sect of Hinduism, which makes up a fair amount percentage. Hinduism is a very broad umbrella encompassing a billion plus people with different regional and family beliefs. Hinduism can be very liberal religion where one's own beliefs stray away from the mainstream; however, are not dismissed. I emphasize can, because like any religion you do have orthodoxy and strict religious schools, people, etc.

Good day.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Maybe the reason Hindus get along now, is they see the ancient battles over religious values in the religious texts; they then see ultimately at Mahapralaya (the Dissolution), everything will become Brahman again, and then it will be recreated.

Therefore only those who are One with Brahman shall remain; being all argumentative over factions, only leads to less clarity of Oneness.

In Ancient Middle Eastern culture before Abrahamic monotheism (Islam) removed the rest, each of the different Tribes had different forms of religion, with many forms of Henotheism, Polytheism, etc.

Between the promise made by the Lord to remove the fake religions by his messenger Yehoshua (Exodus 23:20-23 - Joshua 3:10), and Muhammad continuing this under Islam, we now no longer have many forms of religion in the Middle East.

Muhammad tried to fix the religion by getting people to acknowledge the Source (Allah) is beyond form, and is therefore the only thing worthy of worship.

Since Rabbinic Judaism still follows a form of Henotheism: where Yahavah Elohim is a Divine Being, who became Yeshua Elohim (Exodus 15:2, Psalms 118, etc), and then King Zion Elohim (Isaiah 52:7); they have misunderstood turning any of the Divine Council into a Godhead is a form of idolatry - where we should only worship the Source, like Hinduism teaches about Brahman compared to Avatars.

Brahman is ultimately what every studied Hindu worships, regardless of branch; yet every studied Abrahamic is left confused by bad Rabbinic Jewish analysis, because they refuse to acknowledge the God Most High (El Elyon) is superior to Divine Beings (Elohim - Isaiah 46:9 = Deuteronomy 32:7-9).

Ultimately according to the Curse of Moses, everyone who doesn't get this will be removed by quantum fire, for not recognizing the differences between El and Elohim at Judgement Day (Mahapralaya - Deuteronomy 32:17-22).

Due to bad language comprehension will translate Deuteronomy, to make it a bit clearer what it should say:

Deuteronomy 32:17-18 They've sacrificed to Shades, not to a Divine Being; to Divine Beings that they didn’t know, to new ideas that came up recently, which your fathers didn’t dread. (18) Of the 'Rock' who became your father ('Yeshua' - Deuteronomy 32:15), you are unmindful, and have forgotten the Source who manifests you.

The idea Rabbinically educated Jews would think other religions fight, is because the Rabbi argue so much; other religions dialogue to find the ultimate understanding between us, which is called Satsang - which is to sit in good company to remove all fallacies (Neti-Neti), and then come to ultimate truths.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

99% of the time. That's because tolerance for others is a basic tenet that's reinforced in scripture, by actions, and more. If there is disagreement, it's often outside the faith itself. and over silly things like regional differences or whose mother tongue is superiour.

Baroodi

As a Saivite Hindu, it can be oversimplified by saying that Lord Shiva is the supreme being and all other gods/goddesses are manifestations of Him. I would consider monotheism the correct term when presenting my beliefs to other, but other Hindus may not.

So here's where things can get complicated, because I believe that Lord Shiva is the supreme; however, acknowledge other gods/goddesses like Parvati, Ganesha, Durga, etc. Many gods/goddesses may do what you may say are 'godly' things but all are just the different 'arms' of Lord Shiva.

Two captains in one boat would lead to its sinking (Say: if there would be two Gods, The universe will be in disarray)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I wonder how one can combine the thing and its reverse. like Northern and southern poles of a magnet.
That is because you do not know about Hinduism. Atheism in Hinduism is as old as Hinduism itself. See this:
Hindu atheism - Wikipedia

(Note: The page mentions Osho. Osho was a Jain and not a Hindu).
Two captains in one boat would lead to its sinking (Say: if there would be two Gods, The universe will be in disarray)
Why? They are not aggressive, jealous, blood-thirsty, vengeful Abrahamic Gods who would not tolerate each other. They are Hindu Gods and Goddesses, at peace with each other.

Shiva and Krishna
serveimage
serveimage
serveimage
serveimage

Last edited:

TravisJC

Like my friend @Aupmanyav stated, the gods/goddesses of Hinduism each respect one's role. I understand your metaphor completely and understand that the Quran clearly states that Allah has no offspring, partner, helper, etc; however, I couldn't agree with you more. I believe that the 'captain' of this boat is Lord Shiv i.e. Brahman (supreme being) and the gods/goddesses of Hinduism are under his control. Hinduism is soooo vast and complex that the belief as Lord Shiv as Brahman is NOT widely accepted as the truth. Even with that being said, I still consider myself a Hindu and so would the next even if their beliefs don't align with mine completely.

ManSinha

Like my friend @Aupmanyav stated, the gods/goddesses of Hinduism each respect one's role. I understand your metaphor completely and understand that the Quran clearly states that Allah has no offspring, partner, helper, etc; however, I couldn't agree with you more. I believe that the 'captain' of this boat is Lord Shiv i.e. Brahman (supreme being) and the gods/goddesses of Hinduism are under his control. Hinduism is soooo vast and complex that the belief as Lord Shiv as Brahman is NOT widely accepted as the truth. Even with that being said, I still consider myself a Hindu and so would the next even if their beliefs don't align with mine completely.

I would not worry about "others" too much - turn to the Scripture - it says

Sivasya hridayam vishnur-vishnoscha hridayam sivah

Vishnu is the heart of Siva and likewise Siva is the heart of Vishnu

IMO - they are both representations of Brahman - each in their own way
And of course - the two forms are combined in the deity Harihara

Do what your heart tells you is true and follow that path - if you have chosen Shiva as your deity - more power - I would not bother with comparisons and one-upmanship - in Hinduism - it is not worth much

Baroodi

Thanks for the explanation, but complexity in a religion is against souls of divine religions. Religions need to be simpler to understand and follow

atanu

Premium Member
What are absolute space and and absolute time? Check out the first video that atanu posted

@ about 11:03. " 'Brahman' means ... 'the vast' ". Brahman is anantam, unlimited. Absolute space is Brahman's "house" and absolute time is Brahman's "clock", unless of course you choose to speak like so many others who say space and time have boundaries, stretch, contract, curl, and move, in which case you'll be talking like the multitude of Abrahamics :eek: who think their God does magic tricks and exists inside and outside of space and time.

Space-time-objects appear and disappear in brahman. Space-time is in brahman and not the other way around. This is the most crucial learning. Conscious deep sleep (called samadhi) is the non-dual brahman.

PearlSeeker

Monism holds that there is an energy flowing through all form, (and simultaneously exists as formless), and at its essence, that energy is of one substance, one variation, it's the same essential energy everywhere. Whether you see it in a tree, in the akasha, in life forms, in a rock, its always just this energy. This is why we can have atheism in Hinduism. Atheists will claim that that same energy isn't God, but just energy. In Hinduism it's called Brahman.
Energy is a property. It's carried by something. Isn't it also part of maya?