• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bragging

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I came across this news item this morning about one of the Capitol rioters being arrested after bragging to a potential match on Bumble that he was there and participated in the riot.

Capitol Rioter Andrew Taake's Boasts on Dating App Bumble Lead to Arrest

Within days of their exchange, the unnamed Bumble user notified the FBI that Taake had participated in the riot by sending screenshots of their conversation and his location on January 6.

Following that tip, the FBI reviewed Taake's flight records and found that he had traveled from Houston to Washington on January 5. The FBI then located publicly posted videos and images showing Taake using pepper spray against police and later striking officers with what looked like a metal whip, according to court filings.

Taake was arrested in Texas on Friday and has been charged with several federal crimes, including felony assault on a police officer, civil disorder and obstruction of congressional proceedings. He has not yet entered a plea.

Apparently, he was the second Capitol rioter who was identified by Bumble and arrested.

Taake is now the second Capitol rioter to be identified by the police via Bumble. In April, a New York man was arrested and charged after he bragged to a match that he "did storm the capitol" and "made it all the way into Statuary Hall."

Well, one thing is certain: By bragging about it, they won't be able to pull the "aww shucks, I'm sorry" routine in court.

But what is this human propensity to brag about one's actions, particularly those of an infamous or criminal nature? Especially online? I suppose the upside of it is that this is one of the ways a lot of criminals get caught, because they just have to brag about what they did to someone. It might be someone overhearing someone bragging in a bar, or perhaps a jailhouse confession. But now with the internet, people are confessing online.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that nobody really likes a braggart anyway, regardless of what they're bragging about. Like the character of Violet in Peanuts, always bragging about how her dad is a better bowler than Charlie Brown's dad, how her dad has a better job, bigger car, and so on.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
But what is this human propensity to brag about one's actions, particularly those of an infamous or criminal nature?
I know some who were treated bad in childhood. Now they feel entitled/proud doing the same. Being in charge and bossy feels good to them

Those are filled with anger, causing loss of discriminating between right and wrong. Hence they feel even proud about criminal activities I guess

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I came across this news item this morning about one of the Capitol rioters being arrested after bragging to a potential match on Bumble that he was there and participated in the riot.

Apparently, he was the second Capitol rioter who was identified by Bumble and arrested.

Well, one thing is certain: By bragging about it, they won't be able to pull the "aww shucks, I'm sorry" routine in court.

But what is this human propensity to brag about one's actions, particularly those of an infamous or criminal nature? Especially online? I suppose the upside of it is that this is one of the ways a lot of criminals get caught, because they just have to brag about what they did to someone. It might be someone overhearing someone bragging in a bar, or perhaps a jailhouse confession. But now with the internet, people are confessing online.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that nobody really likes a braggart anyway, regardless of what they're bragging about. Like the character of Violet in Peanuts, always bragging about how her dad is a better bowler than Charlie Brown's dad, how her dad has a better job, bigger car, and so on.
Just a guess, but I'd bet a lot of the putsch participants didn't think there was any danger in admitting to what they did.

I know I've been frustrated by the lack of consequences - so far, anyway - for this group of people who tried to violently overthrow the US government. I have to assume that a lot of the putsch participants also saw this lack of consequences and figured that they were going to get away with their crimes... if they even thought of what they did as a crime at all.

I think it's important to remember that all of these putsch participants are people who thought that a coup to install Trump as President was a good idea... so we're talking about a group of people who aren't exactly clear thinkers with good foresight.

RestlessSoul

Yeah, not good to brag, especially when it involves bragging about doing something stupid.

But where I come from, no one likes a grass much either.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In a generation of gossip and social media?

Braggers come across as God's now.