• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys and Girls Names

Bishka

Veteran Member
MidnightBlue said:
Don't take this the wrong way, Becky, but what is it with Mormons and names? I have some Mormon relatives, and I've noticed it with them and with other Mormons. I mean, if you meet a girl named Gwenessa, Marjoreen, or Tambetty, you just know she's going to be a Mormon. ;)

Nah, some people have bizzare names. I don't think Joia is all that strange compared to the ones you posted.

I've heard LaRue, LaNessa, LaCandi, and a whole host of La's.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If Dzana is pronounced Jaw-na, is Djamila pronounced Jaw-mee-la? I've been thinking that the 'Dj" was pronounced "zh".

As you know, we sponsored a Bosnian refugee family a few years back. The wife's name was Naja (pronounced Na-yah). Would that be essentially the same name as Nadja, or something entirely different?

The other family members' names were:

Esad (the dad)
Azra (the daughter)
Anel (the son)

Are these common Bosnian names or not?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Katzpur said:
If Dzana is pronounced Jaw-na, is Djamila pronounced Jaw-mee-la? I've been thinking that the 'Dj" was pronounced "zh".

As you know, we sponsored a Bosnian refugee family a few years back. The wife's name was Naja (pronounced Na-yah). Would that be essentially the same name as Nadja, or something entirely different?

The other family members' names were:

Esad (the dad)
Azra (the daughter)
Anel (the son)

Are these common Bosnian names or not?

Dz or Dj is English "J", as in "Jaw". Just a J is English "Y", as in "Yes".

Naja = Nigh-ya
Nadja = Na-jaw
Nadija = Na-de-ya

Esad is an uncommon, but recognizable name. Azra and Anel are both very common. All three are very strictly Islamic. Naja is a more modern name, relatively speaking (I realize she's among the oldest in this group), and isn't really religion-specific.

Booko

Deviled Hen
GeneCosta said:
I've always been fond of my own name, since I have yet to meet a male named Gene (though I know of some and have met females). I wouldn't name my son that, though. I'm the third. I think it would be time to pick something else. :p

Really? I know a lot of Gene's in Michigan, some older, some younger.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
Girl's names (Muslim):
Fatima (Fa-tea-ma)
Jasmina (Yas-me-na)
Khadija (Kah-de-ya)
Lejla (Laila)
Samira (Sa-me-ra)
I've always thought these were beautiful names. You do find them here in the US sometimes, though the spellings can be a little different. Leyla is not common, but not unheard of either.

Leyla isn't usually thought of as a Muslim name here. Of course, that may all be Eric Clapton's fault. You never can tell. ;)

Baha'is have some idea that Layli (the spelling we're used to) is a character from Persian poetry, because she appears in one of teh more mystical Baha'i Writings, but that doesn't seem commonly known here.

Girl's names (Other):
Elena (Ellen-a)
Elena got really popular near me about 15 years ago. There was a rash of Elenas and Elaines. Our daughter is named Ellen, which is the English version of the same name.

Hm...I see what you mean about the boy's names. I agree!

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
It's starting to change here also, Booko.

You have, for example, a love-ballad like Lejla from Bosnia and Herzegovina in which the woman being discussed is clearly Muslim ('lay your flower by the mosque', etc.).

2.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GqNOonSRdgM

Then you have a less clear example from Macedonia (which has a huge Muslim population, by the way). This singer is Christian, but it isn't clear whether his Lejla is or not.

2.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hImdUn05PSc

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I personally could never live with naming my child "Katie", "Brian", "John", "Bill", "Tim', "Bob", or any other short, popular name. There are five girls in my Spanish 3 class named Katie, and having a close relationship with 3 of them sucks. ;)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
GeneCosta said:
I personally could never live with naming my child "Katie", "Brian", "John", "Bill", "Tim', "Bob", or any other short, popular name. There are five girls in my Spanish 3 class named Katie, and having a close relationship with 3 of them sucks. ;)

One would think that would make polygamy easier.

BFD_Zayl

beckysoup61 said:
Just out of curiousity, what are some of your favorite names?

(i.e. names meaning, Bill, Jamie, Joan, etc.)

What are you favorite boys names?
What are you favorite girls names?

well my fave boy name would have to be Salvator, my fave girl name would have to be...El-Recka, after my former girlfriend. or Kayla

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Djamila said:
One would think that would make polygamy easier.
:biglaugh:True, true.

To any man who wants multiple wives, you can have them. And God save you, even if they're all named Katie. :D