• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys and Girls Names

jonny

Katzpur said:
We named our son after both grandpas: James Andrew.
Me my brother were also named after both our grandpas (with a little variation). Thankfully, I didn't get the middle names!!! :biglaugh:

Smoke

Done here.
I like traditional names for girls: Anna, Maria, Elisabeth, Catharine, etc. I also like Fiona.

For boys, Irish names: Kieran, Brian, Seamus, Cormac, Niall, etc. I also like Adam and Travis.

I strongly dislike the practices of giving masculine names (Michael, etc.) to girls and giving surnames as first names (Madison, Ashley, etc.) to either boys or girls.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I tend to like unisex names also . Allison , Michel { not as uncommon in as in England it seems } , Bobbi Jo ... :)

evearael

For the next girl, I like the names Fiona, Zoe, Constance, Annwn (Welsh... I love it, my husband hates it), Marie, Caitlyn, Isabelle, Gabrielle, Juliet, Cassandra...

The first boy will be a fourth. After that, I like Donovan, James (my sister would murder me if I used this name... I already used two she wanted with my daughter), Alexander, Richard (not shortened!), William, Brandt (middle name)...

I need more girl names. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
I like any name with few diminutives, and especially ones you can't add -y to.

So we named our kids Eric and Ellen.

The worst you can do is call Eric "Rick" and I'm fine with that.

Leonne, I'm voting for "Marie" for a girls name, as that's Ellen's middle name. :D

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I think I posted somewhere earlier in this thread but oh well. :) Here are my kid's names:

Justin Jonathan
Evan Matthew
Lauren Arielle
Brandon Scott

But I also like for a girl.....Sophie or Sophia, Adrianna, Shannon, Alexandra, Jaden and Juliana.

ayani

girls' names:

isabel, mary, ann, heather, emily, rebeca, clair

boys' names:

sam, will, paul, jacob, asher, joseph

Smoke

Done here.
Katzpur said:
I like the name Natalie. I don't understand why it's not more popular.

My paternal grandmother and her sister both had three given names, and I like that, though not necessarily the ones they had: Hulda Hedwig Barbara and Dorothea Elizabeth Bertha. But I could see Anna Maria Katharina.

My great-grandfather's two oldest sisters were Anna Marie and Maria Anna; I like that, too.

William is my name, my father's name, my grandfather's name, his grandfather's name, the name of my grandmother's father and brother, my mother's brother's middle name, and the name of one of my mother's uncles and two of her granduncles. Enough.

I like the old German custom of giving all the boys in the family one saint's name, and all the girls another saint's name. You might have John Jacob, John George, John Adam, John Michael, John Martin, Mary Rose, Mary Catherine, Mary Anne, Mary Magdalene, and Mary Margaret. But I don't think I'd actually follow that custom. Besides, who wants that many kids? Besides Becky, I mean. ;)

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Girl names: Eve, Roxanne.
Guy names: Jacob, Chase, Ballard.

I've always been fond of my own name, since I have yet to meet a male named Gene (though I know of some and have met females). I wouldn't name my son that, though. I'm the third. I think it would be time to pick something else. :p

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
Boys name: Jonah (my sons name), Jacob, Joshua, Noah, and i must agree that David (or dave) is a good name too, very catchy!
Girls names: Isabelle, Chloe, Bethany, Jessica,and Eve.

Does anyone really detest a particular name?????

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Girl's names (Muslim):
Ajsa (Eye-Saw)
Amira (Eh-me-ra)
Belma (Bell-ma)
Dzana (Jaw-na)
Emina (Eh-me-na)
Fatima (Fa-tea-ma)
Hasana (Hoss-anna)
Jasmina (Yas-me-na)
Khadija (Kah-de-ya)
Lejla (Laila)
Mira (Me-ra)
Nadja (Na-jaw)
Nadija (Na-de-ya)
Nadira (Na-de-ra)
Osmana (Os-ma-na)
Sabrina (Sa-bree-na)
Samira (Sa-me-ra)
Selma (Sell-ma)

Girl's names (Other):
Ana (Ah-na)
Elena (Ellen-a)
Fillipa (Fe-le-pa)
Greta (Grett-a)
Hanna (Ha-na)
Irina (E-re-na)
Jelena (Yell-a-na)
Jovana (Yo-von-a)
Katija (Cat-ya)
Ljiljana (Lyil-lyan-a)
Magdalena (Mag-da-lay-na)
Marija (Maria)
Nina (Ne-na)
Renata (Ray-not-a)
Snezana (Snay-zshon-a)
Tatjana (Tat-yawn-a)
Vesna (Vess-na)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I'm less fond of Bosnian boys names, hence a shorter list. :)

Boy's names (Muslim):
Adem (Adam)
Adnan (Ad-non)
Amir (A-meer)
Damir (Da-meer)
Ibrahim (E-bra-him - Abraham)
Jasmin (Yass-meen)
Muhamed (Mohammed)
Samir (Sa-meer)

Boy's names (Other):
Branko (Bronco)
Dejan (Day-yann)
Franko (Fronco)
Goran (Gor-anne)
Ivan (E-von - John)
Miroslav (Meer-oh-slav)
Petar (Pee-tar - Peter)
Vedran (Vey-drann)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
stimpy said:

There are some very hideous names in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Here are some of the ones I dislike the most:

Female, Muslim:
Inela (E-nella)

Male, Muslim:
Faruk (Fa-rook)

Female, Roman Catholic:
Gergana (Gair-ghan-a)

Male, Roman Catholic:
Ante (Anne-tay)

Female, Orthodox Christian:
Daliborka (Dah-lee-bork-a)

Male, Orthodox Christian:
Dragoljub (Drag-oh-lube)

Female, Jewish:
Flora (Floor-a)

Male, Jewish:
Isak (E-shack)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Obviously, those of my children! I never really thought much about names before the first pregnancy and certainly didn't have any favourites. Now I have 6 favourites (because each child has 3) and I'm still indifferent to most of the rest, though there are a few I simply cannot abide.
So, for boys it's:

William, Stefan (not Stephen) and Vlad

and for girls:

Sabina, Daniela and Ioana

James

Smoke

Done here.
stimpy said:
I'm very opinionated about names.

I don't like ostentatiously biblical names, like Ezra, Hezekiah, or (sorry, I know these are popular) Caleb or Noah. OTOH, my great-grandfather was Jeremiah, and I like that name for that reason.

I don't like names ending in -ee unless they're French. Renée and Desirée are fine; Bobbee, Brandee, and Barbee have to go.

I don't like cute spellings. Spare me your Ja'nets and your Mashells.

No naming children after politicians, dictators, or revolutionaries, not even George Washington. The only excuse for naming your child William Frist Jones is that Senator Frist is the godfather or a close relative.

Put the formal name, not the diminutive, on the birth certificate. That means Sarah, not Sally; Elizabeth, not Beth; Mary, not Molly or Polly; John, not Jack; Robert, not Bobby; Edward or Theodore, not Ted.

On Roman numerals: Your son might be Bucky Ray Redbelly II if he's named after his uncle, but if he's named after his father, he's Bucky Ray Redbelly, Jr. In any case, neither the "II" nor the "Jr." belongs on his birth certificate or in his high school yearbook. Also, nobody should be known as "the First" during his own lifetime, not even if the rest of his name is Pope John Paul or King Juan Carlos.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I like unique names:

Joia (Joy-ah); that's my nieces name

Chrysanne (Chris-ann); I met her in the hospital one year.

Gavin; not as unique, but is in my family history.

Smoke

Done here.
beckysoup61 said:
I like unique names:

Joia (Joy-ah); that's my nieces name

Chrysanne (Chris-ann); I met her in the hospital one year.
Don't take this the wrong way, Becky, but what is it with Mormons and names? I have some Mormon relatives, and I've noticed it with them and with other Mormons. I mean, if you meet a girl named Gwenessa, Marjoreen, or Tambetty, you just know she's going to be a Mormon. ;)