• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boycott Israel Movement Stunts The Palestinian Economy

Akivah

The numbers speak for themselves: Israel (population 8.3 million) has GDP of $291 billion, the Palestinian Territories (population 4.1 million), $11.3 billion. In 2012, Israeli sales to the Palestinian Authority were $4.3 billion, about 5% of Israeli exports (excluding diamonds) less than 2% of Israeli GDP, according to the Bank of Israel. In 2012, Palestinian sales to Israel accounted for about 81% of Palestinian exports and less than a percentage point of Israeli GDP. Palestinian purchases from Israel were two-thirds of total Palestinian imports (or 27% of Palestinian GDP). Such trade flow asymmetry shows Palestine needs Israel, economically speaking.

The difference in GDP really isn't very surprising. For over 20 years, the arabs in the Gaza strip have had autonomy to govern themselves. However, their chief economic product has been destruction. They send their kids to army camps, they manufacture rockets and explosives, and they build bunkers and invasion tunnels. If they had sought to be peaceful neighbors, no doubt, they would have a functioning and growing economy by now.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I remember when people boycotted South Africa, there were many who said that will impoverish all South Africans, not just the supporters of apartheid. I don't remember that argument carrying much weight, or being backed by the ANC.

When I find Palestinians opposing the boycott, I'll listen to their reasons — but I shan't be reading the opinions of Zionist apologists.
It's not "Zionist apologists", it's just common sense. You think it's fine to put people out of work? Rich idiots like Roger Waters who lives in a mansion in the UK obviously couldn't care less. He can spout all the political nonsense he wants, he's not effected by what goes on at all.

dantech

The difference in GDP really isn't very surprising. For over 20 years, the arabs in the Gaza strip have had autonomy to govern themselves. However, their chief economic product has been destruction. They send their kids to army camps, they manufacture rockets and explosives, and they build bunkers and invasion tunnels. If they had sought to be peaceful neighbors, no doubt, they would have a functioning and growing economy by now.
Do yoy mean like Jordan?

sooda

Veteran Member
A push to “boycott, divest and sanction” (BDS) Israeli companies has limited impact on the credit profile of Israel, yet it directly harms its intended beneficiaries, the Palestinians. The BDS movement, including universities, pension funds and leaders of some Christian denominations (to the chagrin of many congregants), ignores economic data. And it coincides with a disturbing rise of violent anti-Semitism across Europe.

“The impact of BDS is more psychological than real so far and has had no discernible impact on Israeli trade or the broader economy,” Kristin Lindow, senior vice president at Moody’s Investors Service and Moody’s lead analyst for Israel (in full disclosure, a former Moody’s colleague) told Forbes. “That said, the sanctions do run the risk of hurting the Palestinian economy, which is much smaller and poorer than that of Israel, as seen in the case of SodaStream.”

While the broader Israeli economy is presently shielded from BDS, one victim is SodaStream, an Israeli company manufacturing DIY soda that shuttered a West Bank factory and moved it to southern Israel. This cut hundreds of jobs for Palestinians that reportedly paid between three and five times the local prevailing wage.

SodaStream’s CEO Daniel Birnbaum denied the move was BDS-related, though its profits plunged after BDS activists locked the fizzy pop maker in its crosshairs.

“It has nothing to do with politics; we’re relocating to a modern facility that is three times the size,” Birnbaum told The Independent. “But if it was up to me, I would have stayed. We showed the world Arabs and Jews can work together.”

The numbers speak for themselves: Israel (population 8.3 million) has GDP of $291 billion, the Palestinian Territories (population 4.1 million), $11.3 billion. In 2012, Israeli sales to the Palestinian Authority were $4.3 billion, about 5% of Israeli exports (excluding diamonds) less than 2% of Israeli GDP, according to the Bank of Israel. In 2012, Palestinian sales to Israel accounted for about 81% of Palestinian exports and less than a percentage point of Israeli GDP. Palestinian purchases from Israel were two-thirds of total Palestinian imports (or 27% of Palestinian GDP).

Such trade flow asymmetry shows Palestine needs Israel, economically speaking. Yet the BDS crowd would impair economic ties between these areas, despite evidence that trade between peoples lessens outbreak of war. BDS-ers want to obliterate the vast trade surplus Israel extends to Palestine and offer nothing in its place.
Rest of article here: Boycott Israel Movement Stunts The Palestinian Economy - Forbes

Good job, idiots. You're hurting the very people you pretend to fight for.

Also:
Palestinian activists enforce Israel boycott: 'You have 48 hours to get rid ... - Israel News, Ynetnews
Despite ban, Israeli products still abound on Ramallah store shelves | The Times of Israel

Also, some brain dead artists have decided to boycott Israel:
The Cultural Boycott of Israel Isn’t Solidarity, It’s Condescension - artnet News

Palestinians cannot export their own production. It has to go thru an Israeli middle man. Sam with apples from the Golan.

sooda

Veteran Member
That is quite a concession that you realizes Israel exists. I am proud of you.

I think the arabs in judea and samaria should be given a path to become legal resident or citizens. if they wish to become citizens they need to swear an oath to the country and join the IDF look other Israeli citizens.

If not they should return back to their homelands of Jordan or Egypt.

Its a Zionist myth that the Palestinians came from elsewhere like Jordan or Egypt. Palestinians are descended from Jewish farmers who didn't leave and those who intermarried with Syrians, Crusaders, Turks, Lebanese etc.