• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy, These Days Evolution Just Can't Seem To Catch A Break

JasAnMa

I'm always curious when I see someone say that....what exactly do you mean by "founded on the Bible"? Does the Bible contain a framework and guidelines for a representative democracy?
It actually does, that was how the Israeli nation was founded but the Hebrews wanted a king so God obliged.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems like your arguing two separate ideas. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I in no way mean that sarcastically, but proclaiming Christianity as a political tactic while simultaneously fearing the nation be a Christian nation seem contrary. Most of the people at that time were equally fearful of the country controlling their freedom, especially through religion. How does it help politically to claim the very thing they fled England from unless it be true. And I am very aware the Jefferson thought the miracles in the New Testament were fiction, yet he proclaimed Christianity as...
God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever.
– Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Memorial
Again I never said America was or is a Christian nation, but that the structure of early America was greatly influenced by the Hebrew people. Until 20 years ago this was taught in schools across the US.

Sure, it was influenced by the reading of the Bible because that was a common source of imagery at the time.

But, if you look, the structure was much more influenced by the Greek and Roman examples. The founding fathers certainly did NOT want to set up a theocracy, like what was in the Old Testament. They wanted to found a republic, like pre-empire Rome or democratic Athens. They set out *secular* principles of government precisely because they did not want to establish a religion.

And it is a simple fact that most of the populace at the time was Christian and to get votes you had to announce your Christianity. Once in office, you could work to establish a government more on your own principles. This was done then, just as it is done now.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Saul was the first king of Israel in the Bible. Though there may have been a Saul that would probably be one of the few parts of his story that are true. Accorrding to the Bible the populace wanted a king. Please note the qualifier. A lot of Saul and David read like the stories of Camelot. Look up what David paid to marry Saul's daughter.:eek:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Saul was the first king of Israel in the Bible. Though there may have been a Saul that would probably be one of the few parts of his story that are true. Accorrding to the Bible the populace wanted a king. Please note the qualifier. A lot of Saul and David read like the stories of Camelot. Look up what David paid to marry Saul's daughter.:eek:
Oh I'm very familiar with the Bible (having grown up in a fundamentalist Christian environment). I just don't recall there being any sort of framework for a representative democracy in there, especially of the sort that's outlined in the US Constitution.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh I'm very familiar with the Bible (having grown up in a fundamentalist Christian environment). I just don't recall there being any sort of framework for a representative democracy in there, especially of the sort that's outlined in the US Constitution.
There isn't. He was making a poor comparison.