• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy Scouts to allow girls, raising ire of Girl Scouts

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No, clearly kids should be segregated until they're old enough to be married. That works so well.
You know what the fallacy of the "excluded middle " is? It's when you divide the options into black and white and ignore the grey area in between. Like when you equate having a handful of organizations with gender segregation with keeping the genders segregated until marriage.

I was part of Tracker Earth, which both sexes did basket weaving, casting animal footprints, fishing and archery, etc. It was great.
I don't doubt it and I would have preferred it to Boy Scouts. But not everyone is as superior as we are.
Tom

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually when it comes to churches there are alternative groups that mimic the boys scouts even buying the
same uniforms and using different badges. For example there's a group called the Royal Rangers who look just like Boy Scouts but are exclusively Christian. So the churches are not loyal to Boy Scouts and do not control the organization. You can compare the two below:

National Royal Rangers Boy Scouts of America | Prepared. For Life.®

Yup...I was a card-carrying members of CEBS, back in the 80's. (Church of England Boy's Society)
Our uniforms were navy blue, and there was more explicit church involvement, but basically we were church scouts.
I had lots of prayer badges for faithfully reciting various prayers, as well as my first aid badge, etc.

And of course, they didn't allow atheists...heh...

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You know what the fallacy of the "excluded middle " is?
What's the excluded middle? Because he's talking about teens/preteens if we're talking about risks of pregnancy in a unsegregated scout. What comes after teens is marrigable age.

Though frankly I think the need for sex segregation at any age range is more culture than developmental psychology. But I was referring to a specific case of 'let's not have nonsegregated scouts because they might have sex.'

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Just drop the "boy" leaving the name "scouts" then everyone can play without gender labels

Milton Platt

Girl Scouts slam Boy Scouts' decision to accept girls

I don't get it. I recall when there were girls trying to get into all-male military schools and other similar situations, but now that they're being accepted into the Boy Scouts, they're crying foul?

Now they're talking about the benefit of a single-gender environment. Doesn't this contradict the idea that the genders are equal and that both genders can work side by side as equals? Should we go back to having all-male military schools now?

Tempest in a teapot......