• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bottle of whiskey sells for $1.9 million

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Macallan Bottle Sells For $1.9 Million, Breaks Whisky World Record…Again

The last few years have seen a constant shattering for the record of most expensive whisky bottle ever purchased. In recent years, the record has been held by a Macallan bottle. Until yesterday, that record was a cool $1.2 million for a bottle of 60 year old Macallan originally distilled in 1926.

That eye-wateringly expensive record has now been shattered…by another Macallan bottle that came from the same cask. The difference is that the first bottle featured a hand-painted design by Irish artist Michael Dillon, while this one is part of an official series, The Macallan Fine and Rare. Originally estimated to sell for $550,000 as part of a Sotheby’s auction, the actual sale of the whisky destroyed that estimation and went for $1.9 million. Bottles from this cask are known as ‘The Holy Grail’ for high end collectors.

Well, this is just ridiculous. Who the heck spends $1.9 million for a bottle of whiskey? That's a $10 item. Does it have any magical or healing properties? What is it that makes it worth so much?

Is this just further proof that P.T. Barnum was right, or is there some actual "value" here that I'm missing?

0b3f54c593157487b2432d99315b32d0.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I tend to spend more than $10 for my whiskey. There really is a difference between a $10 bottle and a $70 bottle. I have spent $100 for a shot (Van Winkle) and it was worth it. I can't afford the bottle that shot came from.

As for this sale, the money was NOT for the contents of the bottle, but for the original art on the bottle itself.

Whether it is reasonable to spend that amount of money on art is another question, but the cultural answer seems to be yes.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Ooops, this bottle was *not* for the art on the bottle. Sorry for the bad information. That was for the *previous* record.

This one really is for the contents. :)

This one was part of a rare bottling from a very, very good producer.

Darkforbid

Ooops, this bottle was *not* for the art on the bottle. Sorry for the bad information. That was for the *previous* record.

Yep, I didn't read all the way down it was the standard bottle, but would you open it?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

That will most probably never be opened, so no €60,000 shots for you my lad ;-)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, I didn't read all the way down it was the standard bottle, but would you open it?

Probably not. At that point, it is investment property, not a consumable. Sort of like a rare coin. It may look like a silver dollar, but to spend it as such would be insane.

There are very few types of celebration that would warrant opening a million dollar bottle of anything.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That will most probably never be opened, so no €60,000 shots for you my lad ;-)

I doubt I'll get any shots even from the $60,000 bottles....

I'm pretty much limited to shots from bottles less than a couple thousand dollars, I think. And for buying them myself, I can imagine getting a Van Winkle bottle, but it would have to be very special circumstances.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably not. At that point, it is investment property, not a consumable. Sort of like a rare coin. It may look like a silver dollar, but to spend it as such would be insane.

There are very few types of celebration that would warrant opening a million dollar bottle of anything.

This bottle was probably a lot cheaper and still get you just as drunk.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
This bottle was probably a lot cheaper and still get you just as drunk.

The point of drinking good whiskey is not to get drunk. For that, you are right, a $10 bottle is quite sufficient.

But learning how to *taste* and really enjoy a good bourbon, well, that is another matter. The first time I had an opportunity to have a really good bourbon, I didn't take it, because I *knew* I didn't know enough to truly enjoy it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I doubt I'll get any shots even from the $60,000 bottles....

I'm pretty much limited to shots from bottles less than a couple thousand dollars, I think. And for buying them myself, I can imagine getting a Van Winkle bottle, but it would have to be very special circumstances.

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old Whiskey - Master of Malt

Im not into whisky but have on occasion sipped a single malt. On a break in Scotland (Peebles) Paul and I decided to sample the top shelf (all of it). I managed a triple from 5 of the 48 bottles.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The point of drinking good whiskey is not to get drunk. For that, you are right, a $10 bottle is quite sufficient.

But learning how to *taste* and really enjoy a good bourbon, well, that is another matter. The first time I had an opportunity to have a really good bourbon, I didn't take it, because I *knew* I didn't know enough to truly enjoy it.

Bourbon you say?! Don't sully this thread with mention of bourbon. This thread is about real, single malt whiskey!

;)

Erebus

That's a $10 item. Does it have any magical or healing properties? What is it that makes it worth so much?

Maybe it's a misprint and what actually sold was a bottle of genies?

Even then it's not worth the money. I've seen Wishmaster. I know what genie wishes are like. If you absolutely must make a wish, do the sensible thing and get yourself a monkey's paw instead.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Bourbon you say?! Don't sully this thread with mention of bourbon. This thread is about real, single malt whiskey!

;)

I think we need to have a contest! See which whiskey stands up best! i am more than happy to drink a good scotch. We can add some of the Japanese or Irish variants into the mix just for fun.

ChristineM

Premium Member
They don't ship in the States. :( Maybe I could persuade you get me a bottle and send it to me????

What sort of country do you live in???

So looking for the "buy now" button and can't find it but there is a "sold out" button.

Milton Platt

Macallan Bottle Sells For $1.9 Million, Breaks Whisky World Record…Again

Well, this is just ridiculous. Who the heck spends $1.9 million for a bottle of whiskey? That's a $10 item. Does it have any magical or healing properties? What is it that makes it worth so much?

Is this just further proof that P.T. Barnum was right, or is there some actual "value" here that I'm missing?

0b3f54c593157487b2432d99315b32d0.jpg

Although I think 1.9 million is certainly extreme, I defy you to buy a bottle of good whiskey for 10 dollars.